The Fail Mary's place in NFL History

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
The Fail Mary's place in NFL History
Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:47 am
  • If GB did not go on to get into the playoffs this year,

would the defeat to the Hawks from the "Fail Mary" be on par with the "Immaculate Reception"

in NFL Lore? You know Mediots would bring it up every year entering the playoffs
    GoHawks
    NET Starter

Re: The Fail Mary's place in NFL History
Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:52 am
  • i can't imagine it being that big. The Immaculate Reception was a playoff game...

However, the fail mary will be one play that totally defines this season and the replacement refs. I suspect in a few years from now, there will be an NFL Film diagnosis... after the drama has disappeared into the past
    madbohem
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:53 am
  • in a few years people will watch it and realise it was the right call all along
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:07 am
  • themunn wrote:in a few years few people will watch it and realise it was the right call all along

Fixed it for ya :lol:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:03 am
  • The real shams this season have been the real refs, but nobody likes to talk about it. Best example is Forsetts run on thanksgiving. Worst play in NFL history
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:07 am
  • I hate his "Fail Mary" name for that play.
    Who the hell came up with this name?
    The only issue with that play is the push off. Other than that, tie goes to the offense. It wasn't fail at all.
    Mjolnir
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:20 am
  • ensett wrote:The real shams this season have been the real refs, but nobody likes to talk about it. Best example is Forsetts run on thanksgiving. Worst play in NFL history

That wasn't the refs fault. Close call, let the play continue and review it after. Schwartz's fault for not knowing the rule and throwing a challenge flag. I think it's a dumb rule but that isn't on the refs
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:27 am
  • If Alcoa still sponsored Fantastic Finishes it would live forever. They repeated those same plays over and over and over...
    Idle vaporings of a mind diseased
    VaporHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:13 pm
  • sturg78 wrote:
    ensett wrote:The real shams this season have been the real refs, but nobody likes to talk about it. Best example is Forsetts run on thanksgiving. Worst play in NFL history

That wasn't the refs fault. Close call, let the play continue and review it after. Schwartz's fault for not knowing the rule and throwing a challenge flag. I think it's a dumb rule but that isn't on the refs

Stupid, stupid rule. Punish the coach by letting a clearly ridiculous call go unreviewed. The NFL comes up with a rule this stupid and punitive that erodes the integrity of the game, and allows an obviously incorrect call to stand, and affect the outcome of a game... unbelievable. Hope they fix that soon.
    Steve2222 wrote: "I'm going to call a spade a spade. This is a 9 win team who is going to need luck getting into playoffs."
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:19 pm
  • Mjolnir wrote:I hate his "Fail Mary" name for that play.
    Who the hell came up with this name?
    The only issue with that play is the push off. Other than that, tie goes to the offense. It wasn't fail at all.

^^ This. Totally a correct call. ESPN doesn't show the footage that doesn't favor their agenda. I can go with the "uncalled offensive PI" on Tate, and express sympathies to those poor Packer fans all day long, but the catch was a catch, and absolutely the correct ruling. Offensive and defensive pass interference calls are subjective and get blown and missed all the time, just like the phony holding call on Locklear that cost the Hawks Super Bowl XL.
    The only reason GB even scored a TD in that game was a bogus call on the Hawks for defensive PI that wrongly kept that Packers drive alive on a 3rd down play. So the blown PI calls even out, the catch was a catch, and the result of the game was a fair result. Get over it, Packer fans. You lost the game. Scoreboard. The Seahawks were the better team on that day, in that venue.
    Steve2222 wrote: "I'm going to call a spade a spade. This is a 9 win team who is going to need luck getting into playoffs."
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:28 pm
  • seriously, the only place in america that thinks that was call was correct ALL live in the Pacific NW. But, it is what it is and is now history...maybe you can get a repeat and play GB in the playoffs!!
    Ninerguy
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:36 pm
  • Ninerguy wrote:seriously, the only place in america that thinks that was call was correct ALL live in the Pacific NW. But, it is what it is and is now history...maybe you can get a repeat and play GB in the playoffs!!

Shutup. The rest of the country can go pound sand. Where is the outrage about the crappy officiating in XL? Only people who will care about either of these two results will be Seahawks fans vs Steelers fans and Seahawks fans vs Green Bay.

You don't have a dog in this fight so pleas take a seat and shutup. Or leave if it was up to me.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:42 pm
  • drdiags wrote:
    Ninerguy wrote:seriously, the only place in america that thinks that was call was correct ALL live in the Pacific NW. But, it is what it is and is now history...maybe you can get a repeat and play GB in the playoffs!!

Shutup. The rest of the country can go pound sand. Where is the outrage about the crappy officiating in XL? Only people who will care about either of these two results will be Seahawks fans vs Steelers fans and Seahawks fans vs Green Bay.

You don't have a dog in this fight so pleas take a seat and shutup. Or leave if it was up to me.

This, this, this, this........ THIS!
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:47 pm
  • Ninerguy wrote:seriously, the only place in america that thinks that was call was correct ALL live in the Pacific NW. But, it is what it is and is now history...maybe you can get a repeat and play GB in the playoffs!!

:roll: ...... posting here instead of on a niner board doesn't make you smarter or credible. You contribute nothing of value here.

Link to the catch >>>> http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... git/17706/
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:56 pm
  • seahawk fans need to stand up for their history.

oakland gets holy roller for a bs touchdown
    pittsburgh gets "imaculate reception" for their bs touchdown
    but we get FAIL MARY like we cheated or something?

we need to rename that play.
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:57 pm
  • Jville wrote:
    Ninerguy wrote:seriously, the only place in america that thinks that was call was correct ALL live in the Pacific NW. But, it is what it is and is now history...maybe you can get a repeat and play GB in the playoffs!!

:roll: ...... posting here instead of on a niner board doesn't make you smarter or credible. You contribute nothing of value here.

Link to the catch >>>> http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... git/17706/

Don't bother giving him information. That might change his mind and changing his mind is not something he wants done in this case.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't think this guy lives in the Pacific NW:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... git/17706/

There were others as well. It wasn't just Hawk fans.
    SeaWolv
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:01 pm
  • drdiags wrote:

:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs:
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:45 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]