Wilson - the little things....

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I'm re-watching the Bills game. On the very first play from scrimmage (when he was sacked), at the last second Wilson shifted the ball from his right hand to his left and turned his body just enough to shield himself from the impact and prevent a possible fumble. That's incredibly instinctive, and I also would bet that's one of the things he has focused on improving ever since the Jets game when he had a mild case of the fumbles.

He is really amazing, and getting better and better in the basics. I know this is a "small" thing in the grand scheme of things, but it's impressive seeing a rookie QB correct himself and get better every week, in many facets of the game.

Here is the frame by frame - pics I took of the TV shot:

Picture1 4

bellingerga

Reaction score
Protecting a ball is never a small thing to me. He's going to go down in history, or atleast be in the very top category of least turnovers, over the course of his career because he just flat out takes care of the ball.

The pics are really cool, good post and thanks for sharing

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I live in NC and have followed Wilson since his college days at NC State.
Russell Wilson went on a streak of 380 consecutive passes without interception at NC State in the ACC. He faced teams like Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, ... etc.
During his college career at Wisconsin, he had 4 INTs in 310 pass attempts total.
Wilson doesn't turn the ball over. That's one thing about him. He is not a big risk taker and won't go for the spectacular play.

mikeak

Reaction score
either he did this to protect the ball from the sack or he did it because he was going to try to take off and avoid the sack - as a "RB" he needed to shift it

Love RW but while the speed of shifting the ball may alter between players all scrambling qb's needs to be on top of tucking the ball away

Greenhell

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1elrhxa8 said:
Russell Wilson went on a streak of 380 consecutive passes without interception at NC State in the ACC. He faced teams like Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, ... etc.
During his college career at Wisconsin, he had 4 INTs in 310 pass attempts total.
Wilson doesn't turn the ball over. That's one thing about him. He is not a big risk taker and won't go for the spectacular play.

Correct me if im wrong and I'm not a stat person but 380 consecutive passes without an INT seems incredibly amazing.

zhawk

Reaction score
Greenhell":k17wcftf said:
joeseahawks":k17wcftf said:

Correct me if im wrong and I'm not a stat person but 380 consecutive passes without an INT seems incredibly amazing.

I think that might be true. :th2thumbs:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There are a lot of NFL teams who are questioning the biases of their scouts regarding the height issue that was RW's biggest holdback in terms of his draft status. We've got a good one here who plays far beyond his experience level, his understanding of his role is exceptional and the execution of it elite.

I have little doubt Wilson will win OROY as the bias towards RG3 or Luck is huge, but he seriously deserves to be in the conversation. The team has clearly found their QBOTF, he's something else right now. Thank you John Schneider!

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
mikeak":755ytm7l said:
either he did this to protect the ball from the sack or he did it because he was going to try to take off and avoid the sack - as a "RB" he needed to shift it

Love RW but while the speed of shifting the ball may alter between players all scrambling qb's needs to be on top of tucking the ball away

No...he was protecting the ball. There wasn't time to even think about running it - the LB game up the gut and around blockers and Wilson had less than a second to respond.

VHawk

Reaction score
Good post FnG!RW is amazing and everybody is catching the RW fever,got so many people that run into me gushing over him.Lions fans,Eagles fans Giants fans all of them when they see me got alot of love for RW and the Hawks.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
The play that got my attention, when I was re-watching the game, was in the late third or early 4th, when Wilson dropped back, the LDE came across nearly untouched, Wilson backpeddled some, to create some space, juked the DE a few times left and right, all the while keeping his eyes downfield, then escaped the DE, tucked the ball, ran upfield, slanted left and avoided an oncoming Mario Williams with ease and wound up gaining 10+ yards with relative ease. It was his utter calm when under pressure form the DE and how he kept his eyes downfield while keeping the DE in his peripheral vision to make the moves to avoid the sack. Wow.