D-Line Shuffle

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
D-Line Shuffle
Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:47 am
  • With Jones going on IR, this means we are going to see a heavy rotation at DT and elsewhere.

"We'll get a chance to take a look at some of the younger guys now," said defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, ahead of Sunday night's game against NFC West rival San Francisco.

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 ... tes21.html
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: D-Line Shuffle
Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:10 am
  • Here is hoping to one of them stepping up and making Jones expendable.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 am
  • That's just another reason why I love this team PC and JS have built. "Next man up"
    Hawksfan78
    NET Rookie

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:49 am
  • IMO, Scruggs has had more consistent pressure anyway, but Jones is certainly a loss on the inside pass rush. Would like to see Howard get a shot. Some had him rated as a top 5 DT in this last draft as a 3 tech and I was one of them. He's got quite a bit of talent. He's a 300 pounder and still got his 40 time into the 4.7s, but I also think he shows flexibility so he's not just a streamlined athlete that can't bend and maintain functional strength. I still think he can be a good one.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:04 am
  • Mcdonald will make a play or to I believe.
    canzag
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:56 am
  • I like what i've seen from the young DTs so far. I haven't really seen much really and thats probably a good thing.
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:01 pm
  • Good time to see what the young guys got. Depending on thier progress, it could effect our draft this offseason.
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:05 pm
  • Well, when Jones was healthy we were stout against the run. So, a guy like Scruggs comes in with all his "potential" . If you read the article he says he was put in the same position in college and failed. Hopefully, he realizes this isn't college.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:52 am
  • vin.couve12 wrote:IMO, Scruggs has had more consistent pressure anyway, but Jones is certainly a loss on the inside pass rush. Would like to see Howard get a shot. Some had him rated as a top 5 DT in this last draft as a 3 tech and I was one of them. He's got quite a bit of talent. He's a 300 pounder and still got his 40 time into the 4.7s, but I also think he shows flexibility so he's not just a streamlined athlete that can't bend and maintain functional strength. I still think he can be a good one.

Agreed about Scruggs- every time I watch him I think he's Cory Redding with more natural pass rush ability. I always say that sacks aren't a great way of evaluating pass rush, but to my eyes Scruggs has been our best interior pressure generator this season, and that's somewhat backed up by him having only 1 sack less than Jason Jones in a fraction of the opportunities. The other thing is that nearly all of Jones' sacks are cleanup/vulture sacks. When Scruggs gets a sack, it's all him. To me that's a really important distinction.

Jaye Howard was a beast at times during the preseason. He is a disaster against the run, but on 3rd and long that's a non-factor. He should be the Bruce Irvin of the 3 tech spot. And yet Seattle hasn't tried it. I realize that the 40 man active roster makes it difficult to activate Howard, and that's probably why we haven't seen him, but all the same, Seattle is missing out by not playing him on 3rd downs.

Largent80 wrote:Well, when Jones was healthy we were stout against the run. So, a guy like Scruggs comes in with all his "potential" . If you read the article he says he was put in the same position in college and failed. Hopefully, he realizes this isn't college.

Actually, what the article said was that Scruggs had 1st round potential but always slumped in big games. Sometimes a player just needs to be paired with quality coaching to reach his potential. I already like what I've seen from Scruggs. I am a little surprised he was a 7th round pick seeing how much physical talent he has.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:36 am
  • kearly wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:IMO, Scruggs has had more consistent pressure anyway, but Jones is certainly a loss on the inside pass rush. Would like to see Howard get a shot. Some had him rated as a top 5 DT in this last draft as a 3 tech and I was one of them. He's got quite a bit of talent. He's a 300 pounder and still got his 40 time into the 4.7s, but I also think he shows flexibility so he's not just a streamlined athlete that can't bend and maintain functional strength. I still think he can be a good one.

Agreed about Scruggs- every time I watch him I think he's Cory Redding with more natural pass rush ability. I always say that sacks aren't a great way of evaluating pass rush, but to my eyes Scruggs has been our best interior pressure generator this season, and that's somewhat backed up by him having only 1 sack less than Jason Jones in a fraction of the opportunities. The other thing is that nearly all of Jones' sacks are cleanup/vulture sacks. When Scruggs gets a sack, it's all him. To me that's a really important distinction.

Jaye Howard was a beast at times during the preseason. He is a disaster against the run, but on 3rd and long that's a non-factor. He should be the Bruce Irvin of the 3 tech spot. And yet Seattle hasn't tried it. I realize that the 40 man active roster makes it difficult to activate Howard, and that's probably why we haven't seen him, but all the same, Seattle is missing out by not playing him on 3rd downs.

Largent80 wrote:Well, when Jones was healthy we were stout against the run. So, a guy like Scruggs comes in with all his "potential" . If you read the article he says he was put in the same position in college and failed. Hopefully, he realizes this isn't college.

Actually, what the article said was that Scruggs had 1st round potential but always slumped in big games. Sometimes a player just needs to be paired with quality coaching to reach his potential. I already like what I've seen from Scruggs. I am a little surprised he was a 7th round pick seeing how much physical talent he has.

Being 280+ and getting his 40 down in the high 4.6s makes him a potential inside pass rushing problem. However, I also think he plays with a very good pad level and is why I think he was more productive in less snaps. He's a player to watch. Has been very productive on a per snap basis compared to Jones, IMO.

EDIT: Re; Scruggs....
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information