Next evolution of the Seahawks offense?

mikeak

Reaction score
So the year started with very conservative playcalling. RW was only slinging it when we needed it in the last 2 minutes. Then the game opened up a bit and the long ball was part of the game - SF game, NE game etc. Then came the Chicago game and suddenly the Read-option was the go to play. It works great and we have three straight wins (I know AZ game wasn't won by offense but only those of us that saw the game knows that).

So what is the next step? I haven't really seen much of the read option plus sling it game approach. There was a little bit of that in the Chicago game with some 20 yard passes but not much of the 40 yard passing approach that was used to win the NE game.

Do we think that is going to be added?

Now to the 49ers game perspective on this. NE ran up 28 straight points when they went no-huddle. This wasn't the Peyton Manning style of no-huddle where everyone gets to the line and then for the next 25 second Manning stands there and changes things the way he wants it. This was Oregon style no-huddle. This was play after play quickly put together keep the defense on the field get them tired.

Yesterday a thread was made about SF playing a lot of snaps in NE and they should be a bit tired. So if we start out with read option to keep drives going and just churn away small yards but keep moving the chains we should get the number of snaps up on SF defense. Then in the second half as they start getting tired - pedal to the metal. No-huddle speed offense. Mix read option with deep downfield passes then I simply don't think the 49ers will have enough in the tank to keep up.

Thoughts?

Atradees

Reaction score
MMM. I think we will have to be very aggressive and get the ball out of Wilson's hands quick.

That is the so called secret to NE's offense. Brady has a speedy release.

I am not sure that Wilson will have alot of time or be able to scramble around like he normally does.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much we're going to use the read option this Sunday. SF's defense might be a little too fast and athletic for it to work very well.

What I hope is we use the read option more as a play action pass type play..........meaning have Russell fake the read option, pull it back and pass it. The niners are going to be prepared for it, so if we do use it, we'll have to be more creative.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Interesting

I agree that the 49ers defense is very athletic and fast but wouldn't that partially be why you would use a read option? You will force them to stay in their blocks and lanes and not cheat. One DB should be "frozen" until he knows where the play is going having to account for RW possibly running.

I think if done right you can use it against most any team especially those that otherwise would put a lot of pressure on the qb

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think Pass protection will be key, they will be throwing a few delayed blitz after they release from being blocked, so screen plays may be moot. Read option and run are key, I dont think they will give time for plays to develop unless RW scrambles and makes plays. Brady did the no huddle and quick plays is to disrupt the defense rhythm, but 49ers adapted and was ready. Pete will try to slow the game to have more time of possession too, but will see.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I expect to see something on Sunday that is all new for us. Maybe two somethings.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
seahawks08":34xvyoxi said:
Brady did the no huddle and quick plays is to disrupt the defense rhythm, but 49ers adapted and was ready. Pete will try to slow the game to have more time of possession too, but will see.

NE put up 28 pts and it was IMHO more a result of one or two drives that stalled than 49ers changing anything that led to the 49ers win. NE converted 5 out of 6 4th down and the one they missed on "just happened" to kill the game

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":13ork032 said:
Interesting

I agree that the 49ers defense is very athletic and fast but wouldn't that partially be why you would use a read option? You will force them to stay in their blocks and lanes and not cheat. One DB should be "frozen" until he knows where the play is going having to account for RW possibly running.

I think if done right you can use it against most any team especially those that otherwise would put a lot of pressure on the qb

The read option is most effective against slower undisciplined defenses, that way there are lots of mistakes and plays where they can't catch up to the QB or RB once the wrong gap is chosen. Just not sure SF's defense fits that scheme.

But having said this, SF's defense is just plain good, so it's not like you're going to expose them in some way, shape or fashion........your entire offensive game plan has to be solid. The good news is now that Wilson has a great command of the playbook, we can throw the entire kitchen sink at SF.....and not just the basic plays we were calling first time around.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mo59kasl said:
But having said this, SF's defense is just plain good, so it's not like you're going to expose them in some way, shape or fashion

You don't consider the Patriots putting 31 points on the 49ers in less than 25 minutes of game time in the 2nd half to be exposing them? It sounds like they exposed the hell out of them with some halftime adjustments, to me.

twelfman

Reaction score
Remember all the drops
We should have played well enough to win that game and we didn't
Both teams are better by a long shot but the hawks have come much farther and I totally believe are going to be better when all is said and done
We catch almost everything now big hits or no
With the way the offense has changed and the way pete controlled it you have to think that all his new wrinkles haven't even been seen yet
The hawks won't lose at home this year
The team feeds off the enrgy and their is so much that they just beat people up
Aren't they having special teams issues right now?

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
I agree we should have won last time. I agree the long ball is needed to open up this game.

I don't expect to see many long balls but I hope I am wrong

muxpux

Reaction score
I'm just glad Wilson has a full week to study ALL that film on the niners. He probably has a sleeping bag in the film room. The kid will be prepared. This game will tell us as much about Wilson as it will about our hawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":35uiigrz said:
Sgt. Largent":35uiigrz said:
But having said this, SF's defense is just plain good, so it's not like you're going to expose them in some way, shape or fashion

You don't consider the Patriots putting 31 points on the 49ers in less than 25 minutes of game time in the 2nd half to be exposing them? It sounds like they exposed the hell out of them with some halftime adjustments, to me.

Even Collinsworth stated that the 49'ers for some reason switched up from their smothering man to man defense, and went to a plain vanilla prevent zone.............of which Brady took advantage of.

That's not exposing anything other than a bad judgement call on going with prevent over what was working for the first half. Besides, the Hawks don't run the no huddle fast paced offense like the Pats do......so even if that is a good way to wear down the 49'er defense, we'd have a hard time doing it.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
With San Fran's speed on defense you have to do whatever it takes to use their speed against them. Misdirection, making them commit by making really good fakes. Wilson does a great job of making his fake hand offs look real. The talking heads during the Buffalo game even committed on the way Wilson does a great job of play faking. Bootlegs, play action and whatever else we can do to get their defense going in a different direction would seem to me the order of the day or night in this case.

But then again I have been told I am not head coach material so what the hell do I know.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I wonder how effective it would be to run a read option out of a 2 TE set ? TE's could help seal the edge, or let the DE inside of them, or go out for a pass and get behind the LBers.

Keep the same package on the field and go power run game. Go up tempo and wear their horses out.

cesame

Reaction score
The Seahawks running the option with Wilson is scaring me to death

The risk/reward just isn't there for me.

Latest posts