Hawks Porous Run Defense

kmedic

Reaction score
Per Mike Sando: Hawks rank DEAD LAST in the NFL in run defense since week 7. Giving up 5.3 yards per carry (only 3.3 ypc week 1-6 which ranked 2nd in the league).

Week 7 SF: 32 attempts, 175 yards
Week 8 Detroit: 22 attempts, 84 yards
Week 9 Minn: 27 attempts, 195 yards
Week 10 NY: 22 attempts, 84 yards
Week 12 Miami: 28 attempts, 189 yards
Week 13 Chicago: 33 attempts, 132 yards
Week 14 Arizona: 16 attempts, 43 yards
Week 15 Buffalo: 21 attempts, 118 yards

It doesn't take a genius to know where the soft spot is on this team. If I was Harbaugh, I'd run it all day and then some. Now that they have Kaepernick, they can mix in the zone read option as well. I expect to see a dizzying array of run formations by the 49ers this Sunday to try and confuse the defense. Assuming Sherman will play I doubt Kaepernick will be throwing down field a lot like they did last week against the soft secondary of NE. This will be dirty smash mouth football with Gore and Kaepernick getting most of the carries. I could even see some gadget reverse plays with Crabtree.

Of all the positions, Seattle's defensive line is the key to this Sunday's game IMO. The pressure is directly on Red Bryant, Branch, and Mebane to show up. Lately, all of them have been subpar at best. I feel bad for Red and his plantar fasciitis (I've had it and no doubt it sucks) but he needs to numb the pain somehow and elevate his game as he's been the worst of the lot. If we can't stop their run game it's gonna be a long and frustrating night.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Well, you can always not watch. But then you would miss the DangeRUSS show. :)

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I think Mebane is the MVP of the front 7. He needs some help though. Dude gets doubled enough to have played 28 games this year already.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Ironically it was the 49ers game that exposed our weakness to the inside trap...we haven't been the same since...

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
I personally don't think our front 7 can stop Gore and their overall running game. The best chance for the Hawks to win is to get up quickly by 10-14 points and force Kaepernick to open up the passing game which our secondary can then take advantage of. If they are up in the third quarter it's gonna be difficult to come back on them.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
As stated in a previous thread - I don't see how people don't expect these numbers.

I maintain - our only anomaly all year was Miami. The rest are expected.

SF, Minn and Buff are the top three rushing offenses - in terms of yards/attempt - in the league. Petersen is a robot. Spiller is not human. Gore has the 1983 Redskin offensive line in front of him. And may I remind you we won two of those games. As for SF - it was a road Thursday night game. Those our tough circumstances.

NY, Chicago, Arizona and Detroit all had very average games. Moreover, we are third in the league in passing yards/attempt and I think the latter stat is much much more important.

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
So what you're trying to say is that we should be able to win even if SF runs for nearly 200 yards and averages nearly 6 ypc just because that's who they are, a great running team.

Try taking a closer look at their rushing numbers in their three only losses:

Against Minn: 89 yards, 4.5 ypc
Against NY: 80 yards, 4.7 ypc
Against SL: 148 yards, 4.1 ypc

It looks to me that if we're gonna beat these guys it's going to have to involve solid run defense. Im sorry but you're not going to convince me that we can still beat these guys giving up 5.3 ypc.

kearly

Reaction score
I expected Miami to run on us. Bush is productive and is exactly the kind of quick back that has always killed us. Tannehill is a mobile QB. I was a little surprised the ran THAT well, but I'm not surprised that they found success rushing the ball on us.

Of all those teams, only AP did much damage against the Seahawks at home. That might be a factor as well.