Are we going to smoke SF Sunday night?

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
I broke down the SF/NE game looking at SF drives to try and get a better understanding of what I was feeling after watching the game. Here Is how it looks. (what I thought during the game is in red)

1st drive 6 plays 63 yards =TD *LEGIT DRIVE, GOOD TD
2nd drive Fumble (lucky he got it back they were on SF 17) = PUNT
SF INTERCEPTION * Brady was forcing this pass, it's not like the pick was miraculous, watch it over again
3rd drive Fumble (NE recovers on their own 5)
4th drive 8 plays 42 yards, missed FG from 39yards
SF FUMBLE RECOVERY (they get a lucky bounce could have just as easily been a patriot recovery, there were 4 Pats right there, it was a bad bounce for them, totally circumstance, weather and bad luck)
5TH drive Fumble ( doesn’t matter failed 4th down), 4 plays 9 yards turnover on downs.But still SF didn't capitalize on a huge fumble recovery
6th drive HUGE PI CALL to the tune of 35 yards, 3 plays 80 yards = TD *3 EXPLOSIVE PLAYS FOR 80 YARDS
7th drive 15 plays 75 yards = FG *COULDN’T GET IT DONE HERE WITH ALL THAT MOMENTUM
HALFTIME
8TH drive kaep throws an INT, trying to force another explosive play, the guy was double covered
SF RECOVERS A FUMBLE AT SF 28 RETURNED TO NE 6 *CIRCUMSTANCE, LUCK, AND WEATHER
9th drive Kaep Fumbles ( LUCKY SOB, GORE PICK IT UP AND SCORES). He literally almost screws another opportunity to capitalize on a turnover = TD
SF INTERCEPTION PUTS THEM ON NE 27 *first of all Terrible place to throw it for Brady, and Very lucky interception if you watch it, it was completely circumstantial
10th drive 1 play 27 yds = TD*INTERCEPTION MADE IT PRETTY EASY
11TH drive = punt
12th drive = punt
13th drive = punt
NEW ENGLAND PUTS UP 28 UN ANSWERED POINTS
LMJ RETURNS FOR 62 YARDS *OUR ST WOULDN’T ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN
11th drive 1 play 38 yards = TD *EXPLOSIVE PLAY
12th drive= punt
NEW ENGLAND MISSES 4TH AND 1 LEAVING SF IN THE RED ZONE *TERRIBLE PLAY CALL ON NE MADE
13TH drive easy = FG * WITH THE GREAT FIELD POSITION, THEY COULDN’T PUT IT IN THE ENDZONE
THEY GIVE UP 57 YARDS IN 1 MIN AND ANOTHER FG WITH 40+ SECONDS ON THE CLOCK, WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF PATS GOT THE ONSIDE KICK?

So what does this all add up to? What I am seeing here, and let me know what you guys think, is this game was completely thrown off by the weather first of all. Secondly, SF had one solid drive that led to a TD. Other than that they had a garbage game, full of fumbles, explosive/circumstantial plays.

Not to mention horrible consistency. They started out with a 28 point lead after capitalizing on multiple INTs and Fumbles that gave them optimal field position, and ended up giving 28 unanswered points and a total of 520 total yards of offense.

Guys I don't know if I'm totally off base here, I just can't look at this laundry list of terrible football I have listed above and think that this team is "ELITE". I honestly think the Hawks are going to smoke this team, like really bad, this could be a huge game for us.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The 49ers will get beaten this Sunday. As you said, lot of luck/happenstance/good plays at exactly the right time for the 49ers in that game, and they still damn near gave it away for what would have been tied for the 2nd biggest comeback in NFL history.

49ers fans should be worried. Instead, they're trying to figure out who they're going to play after their first-round bye. The same bye they're almost guaranteed not to have once we beat them on Sunday.

OP
OP

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
Just another thought too, When we beat the Cards 58-0 we had 493 yrds of offense. Pats putting up 520 yards without all the random turnovers and the score would have been more like 65-41.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Well, our yardage totals are deceptively low because our average starting position from great special teams play means we almost never start from the 10, 15, etc. Even almost all of our 20s are from touchbacks. If Leon returns it, we're generally at something like the 26, 31, 39, etc. That adds up.

JKent82

Reaction score
I really doubt it. Their defense is really really good.

While our offense is very much improved I still worry what it will look like with the run game struggling. We have an inflated view of the offense right now in my opinion and our defense hasn't really been playing amazing in the second half of the year.

It's gonna be a dogfight.

BayAreafbfan

Reaction score
I cannot remotely see any of these two teams dominating each other on the scoreboard on Sunday unless there are some freakish turn of events like a floodgate of turnovers. The way Kap was miss handling the ball from center better be worked out come Sunday Night because it's always a wet one in Seattle this time of year. I expect a close game and whoever screws up late in the game is going down.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The Seahawks are the only team this season to have over 450 yards of total offense three weeks in a row this year. The Seahawk offense is moving the ball at will and should be able to very well against the whiners this week too. Next week the "experts" will still be doubting this team's ability to win on the road and wondering what happened to the whiner defense.

BayAreafbfan

Reaction score
12thManHawkFan":t7ahsjpj said:
Just another thought too, When we beat the Cards 58-0 we had 493 yrds of offense. Pats putting up 520 yards without all the random turnovers and the score would have been more like 65-41.

That yardage is a bit missleading. Brady put the ball in the air over 60 times!!! Your going to have big numbers with that many attempts. Going to a soft zone shell for much of the second half and having our best pass rusher Justin Smith out for most of the second half didn't help matters. Harbs should have known better that a full half remaining in the game is too soon to go into prevent D mode no matter what the lead is, especially against the likes of Tom Brady.

BayAreafbfan

Reaction score
rideaducati":2vskj3gv said:
The Seahawks are the only team this season to have over 450 yards of total offense three weeks in a row this year. The Seahawk offense is moving the ball at will and should be able to very well against the whiners this week too. Next week the "experts" will still be doubting this team's ability to win on the road and wondering what happened to the whiner defense.

A good pass rush will slow down any offence dude, even the unstopable Russel Wilson. :roll:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
BayAreafbfan":251x9uzl said:
A good pass rush will slow down any offence dude, even the unstopable Russel Wilson. :roll:

I actually think you'd probably be better off keeping a spy on Wilson and not blitzing heavily. Wilson has beaten a lot of blitzes by just taking off, or escaping and throwing a 20-yard pass on the run to someone.

rideaducati

Reaction score
BayAreafbfan":eu25bbgd said:
rideaducati":eu25bbgd said:

Go ahead and send that pass rush, Marshawn Lynch will run right past it into the secondary.

bellingerga

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":368uxzo2 said:
BayAreafbfan":368uxzo2 said:

I actually think you'd probably be better off keeping a spy on Wilson and not blitzing heavily. Wilson has beaten a lot of blitzes by just taking off, or escaping and throwing a 20-yard pass on the run to someone.

I think the 49ers blitz less than just about everytime in the league. Can't say where I heard that, but I remember specifically and very recently hearing multiple times that they bring extra men on blitzes far less than most.

Anyone else hear that? I think it was the announcers during the game, just not sure.

Hawker

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3krprb1y said:
BayAreafbfan":3krprb1y said:

It did seem, though, that the Bills game-planned for Wilson's maneuverability by keeping a safety/LB close to spy Wilson, but too often they leaned left or leaned right and Wilson caught them by running opposite that defender. Or so I saw it. Seems like our QB now knows teams will have a man on him and looks for that in his progressions.

If I were SF, I'd have to believe the best way to stop Wilson is to limit his approach - and by backing off on the blitzing packages they do just the opposite by way of leaving him the run-option with room to carry. That is where the Bills failed, aside from the opening play of the game.

49fansince70

Reaction score
Thanks for the unbiased reporting. All this time I thought the 49ers won a game nobody thought they could win, on the road, against a consistently top ranked team, with a QB making his 6th NFL start, with weather that helped the home team, but now I realize it was all luck.

The Radish

Reaction score
49fansince70":1k3qda4z said:
Thanks for the unbiased reporting. All this time I thought the 49ers won a game nobody thought they could win, on the road, against a consistently top ranked team, with a QB making his 6th NFL start, with weather that helped the home team, but now I realize it was all luck.

lol

Its amazing how we all have vastly inflated opinions of our own teams isn't it?

I thought the ninnirs did a great job at NE and think the boys and girls whining about that game should spend more time being pissed at us giving away a couple of games early in the season.

:les:

Latest posts