Wilson vs Kaepernick stat comparison

Cartire

Reaction score
comparison.png

They got in a big debate over these two on /sp/ and someone did the homework to shut everyone up. But then they were talking about who played who, so someone did the next bit of homework and found out that Wilson went up against harder defenses too.

>49er's previous opp's: NE, MIA, STL (x2), NO, CHI
>Seattle's previous opp's: MIA, CHI, ARI, BUF, NYJ, MIN

in passing defense:
>49er's opponents: 29th, 26th, 9th (twice), 31st, 6th
>Seattle's opponents: 26th, 6th, 4th, 15th, 2nd, 23rd

Wilson has slightly better opponents while facing an average of the 13th best pass defense, while Kaep is slightly worse while facing an average of the 18th pass defense.

Im liking the stats. Math is never wrong.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
There is no question Kaep is a good young QB, I just think he is benefiting from a Niners team that has had all the offensive talent outside the QB position. Some could argue the same for the Seahawks, but outside of Lynch and Rice the Seahawks don't look all that dangerous on paper. Little do they know, RW makes this team legit.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
The difference here is that Kap is stepping into a pretty efficient offense - Wilson has made us one.

I was bummed when SF drafted Kap and I think he will be a good player, but Wilson has been a bigger component of success, imo.

Twisted

Reaction score
Kapp makes a LOT of rookie mistakes, the Pats gave that one to em on a silver platter...

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
Im confused, the difference here is that Wilson is playing remarkably better then Kap against harder pass defenses. Maybe you guys got that, but your comments make it seem like your making excuses for kap playing well.

Disp

Reaction score
They're both exceptional qb's for how inexperienced they are. Beyond that I don't think there is any real comparison you can draw in their performances until next year. Both teams seem to be very happy with their qb's.

LawHawk

Reaction score
Both are really good. I am super, super bummed that the 49ers have a young, good QB. That was the only thing they didn't have. They are older than us overall, which is a bit of a relief, but they have some young superstars on both sides of the ball.

That said, given the choice, I'd take Wilson. Our line isn't as good as theirs (although it's good) and the 49ers line is making Kaepernick look slightly better than he really is.

heyu123

Reaction score
A comparison of Wilson's first 6 games to Kaepernicks first six is what you should be comparing. That makes more sense.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
heyu123":272ilcn4 said:
A comparison of Wilson's first 6 games to Kaepernicks first six is what you should be comparing. That makes more sense.

except it wouldnt really work. Teams records and game-planning are all changed later in the season. You know more about your oponents and how to overcome them. Kap starting halfway through the season is already a leg up because he more footage to review and the team has examined its own strengths and weaknesses better.

Comparing the last 6 games gives them the same advantages in princeable.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I don't understand some '9ers posts I saw claiming Kaep has the edge in experience. Yes, he's been in the league a year longer--as a backup. Russell has way more starts. Russell also played in two different offenses in college, both of which were more pro style than the pistol Colin played in college.

I like Kaep and think he has the physical tools to be really successful. He appears to also be improving at the mental side of the game. But Russell is better right now. Will that always be true? No idea. But it sure will be interesting to watch these two young QBs throughout their careers.

I just wish Kaep had gone to a team outside the division.

Disp

Reaction score
Well this is embarrassing...whoever put the chart together can't even do first grade math. Using my trusty calculator it looks like Wilson has 143 pass attempts, not 137, and Kaepernick has 268 rushing yards, not 202. Then take 1200 passing yards for Kaepernick divided by 145 attempts and you get 8.27 yards/att. , not 7.16. No need to even bother calculating anything else. What a joke.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_ ... kaepernick
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14881/russell-wilson

Cartire":302vfgrg said:

It is when you can't even do it at a first grade level.

heyu123

Reaction score
Cartire":aki3e8ta said:
heyu123":aki3e8ta said:

except it wouldnt really work. Teams records and game-planning are all changed later in the season. You know more about your oponents and how to overcome them. Kap starting halfway through the season is already a leg up because he more footage to review and the team has examined its own strengths and weaknesses better.

Not really. Any QB making his first 6 starts is at a disadvantage compared to a QB who had played for 2 months already before the comparison of said set of games.

Once Kaepernick has had two months worth of game experience and first team reps then it's a fair comparison to compare him to where Wilson is right now.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
Disp":1o0k2m8x said:
Well this is embarrassing...whoever put the chart together can't even do first grade math. Using my trusty calculator it looks like Wilson has 143 pass attempts, not 137, and Kaepernick has 268 rushing yards, not 202. Then take 1200 passing yards for Kaepernick divided by 145 attempts and you get 8.27 yards/att. , not 7.16. No need to even bother calculating anything else. What a joke.

Cartire":1o0k2m8x said:

good call. I just took the chart to be accurate, i guess i should have done my own homework.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
The difference I like to make is how Kap has been in SF for a couple years (?) while RW came in and just took over while never really had the chance to sit and learn like Kap had been able to.

Both QB's are athletically gifted but I think Wilson is more of a leader and dare I say, smarter.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
heyu123":1qbvfljy said:
Cartire":1qbvfljy said:
heyu123":1qbvfljy said:

Not really. Any QB making his first 6 starts is at a disadvantage compared to a QB who had played for 2 months already before the comparison of said set of games.

Once Kaepernick has had two months worth of game experience and first team reps then it's a fair comparison to compare him to where Wilson is right now.
There is no fair comparison. Different players in different systems, one is a rookie who had to share reps with two other guys in training camp, the other is a 2nd year player with lots more time in his system, but was cheated out of an offseason program in his rookie year by a lockout.

formido

Reaction score
Disp":4eptanj6 said:

Cartire":4eptanj6 said:

Well, I didn't double-check this table, but I can say that Wilson (at 85) has the highest QBR in the NFL since week 6 (Kaepernick included, at 79). From watching carefully, I usually think that QBR tells a better story of a QB's game play, but occasionally passer rating seems more accurate. Russell Wilson is second in passer rating in that span behind Aaron Rodgers.

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... -reactions

frase32

Reaction score
So you're saying Wilson has been exceptional the last six game? Yeah, as I Niner fan I think that is pretty obvious.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
The one stat that gets left out is often Kaep fumbles the ball. Four against the Pats! He fumbles a lot. Hopefully he keeps it up next week!