Wilson's uniform is in the hall of fame

hawksfan515

Reaction score
kinda :lol:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... is-showing

Wilson became the first quarterback in the Super Bowl era to finish a game with at least one touchdown pass, three rushing touchdowns and 90 yards rushing. The Pro Football Hall of Fame recognized the performance by acquiring Wilson's game uniform for display in Canton.

The first of many game uniforms contributed.

And does this stat make QBR legit?

Teams with the higher Total QBR scores posted a 16-0 record in Week 15.

Basis4day

Reaction score

Many will start to think so because it favors us.

Same reason people around here all of a sudden like Colin Cowerd and Mike+Mike.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1dx9ycrh said:
kinda :lol:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... is-showing

Wilson became the first quarterback in the Super Bowl era to finish a game with at least one touchdown pass, three rushing touchdowns and 90 yards rushing. The Pro Football Hall of Fame recognized the performance by acquiring Wilson's game uniform for display in Canton.

Holey shit... that means that the Wolf Grays are going to be on display in the HOF... very cool.

LawHawk

Reaction score
Amazing!

I think the Total QBR is a very valid metric. There are times when it doesn't show a QB's contribution to a game but I think it's just a little better than the traditional passer rating, especially now with running quarterbacks. There is no perfect metric, of course.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
LawHawk":2gkc2ifi said:
Amazing!

I think the Total QBR is a very valid metric. There are times when it doesn't show a QB's contribution to a game but I think it's just a little better than the traditional passer rating, especially now with running quarterbacks. There is no perfect metric, of course.

The running QB's thing is spot on. And something that bugged me about QBR....

You complete 5 passes for 5 yards.

You complete 2 out of 5 passes for 10 yards.

Which one is rated higher? The first one. Which one is more valuable? The 2nd, because the production is doubled!

mikeak

Reaction score
Basis4day":21hkiy59 said:

Many will start to think so because it favors us.

Same reason people around here all of a sudden like Colin Cowerd and Mike+Mike.

The best thing with a bandwagon is the ability to get off and on whenever you want too :)

I always like Cowherd just glad he is agreeing with me these days!

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1i7iylma said:
LawHawk":1i7iylma said:
Amazing!

Which one is rated higher? The first one. Which one is more valuable? The 2nd, because the production is doubled!

As I understand it, the QBR is not looking at the absolute value of yardage gained. Those 5 of 5 passes for 5 yards may have resulted in 4 first downs and 1 TD, and in theory that 2 of 5 passes for 10 yards may have been on 3rd and longs that did not result in first downs. The context is important...and as I understand it, the QBR is trying to put that context in their complex formula.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":2ndsqmoi said:
hawksfan515":2ndsqmoi said:
LawHawk":2ndsqmoi said:
Amazing!

As I understand it, the QBR is not looking at the absolute value of yardage gained. Those 5 of 5 passes for 5 yards may have resulted in 4 first downs and 1 TD, and in theory that 2 of 5 passes for 10 yards may have been on 3rd and longs that did not result in first downs. The context is important...and as I understand it, the QBR is trying to put that context in their complex formula.

Well yeah.... lol

I just don't like passer rating. Anything other than that godawful rating.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
I'll still take DVOA over anything else. ESPN's tQBR is a half @$$ed attempt at DVOA.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":4god460j said:
I'll still take DVOA over anything else. ESPN's tQBR is a half @$$ed attempt at DVOA.

At least QBR knows when it's a blowout. DVOA still doesn't know when to count stats as more valuable because it's a blowout or in OT, I'm pretty sure.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
QBR doesn't penalize certain things enough. I mean, 85 for Kaepernick when he fumbled the ball 4 times and had an interception? None of those fumbles went to the Patriots, but that's luck, more than anything. He deserves to be penalized for that. 216 yards passing, too; not like he lit it up, there. Did have 4 passing TDs, though.

Either way, as Navyhawk said, DVOA > all. Nothing else is its equal or better.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2j3oy6rx said:
QBR doesn't penalize certain things enough. I mean, 85 for Kaepernick when he fumbled the ball 4 times and had an interception? None of those fumbles went to the Patriots, but that's luck, more than anything. He deserves to be penalized for that. 216 yards passing, too; not like he lit it up, there. Did have 4 passing TDs, though.

Either way, as Navyhawk said, DVOA > all. Nothing else is its equal or better.

They should add some elements that QBR has. I love how it has opponent adjustments for one, but it needs to start devaluing play when it's a blowout. They put Wilson at #7 because he had poor completions in the red zone, but most of those were in the blowout, and should be devalued like QBR did to them.

el capitan

Reaction score
I know it's way too early to get carried away but these last few weeks it has started to feel like we're witnessing the
rookie season of a Hall of Fame career.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
The Radish":htao9gp8 said:
Changed the header from the bait and switch 515 originally posted.

:141847_bnono:

sorry... thought it was alright cause it's like impossible Wilson can be in the HOF, but I won't do it again. My bad.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawksfan515":dzu4i3fb said:
They should add some elements that QBR has. I love how it has opponent adjustments for one,
Huh? DVOA already does this. Heavily.

hawksfan515":dzu4i3fb said:
but it needs to start devaluing play when it's a blowout. They put Wilson at #7 because he had poor completions in the red zone, but most of those were in the blowout, and should be devalued like QBR did to them.
DVOA also already does this. I suggest you read the basic guide on how DVOA is calculated: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2f98crdb said:
hawksfan515":2f98crdb said:
They should add some elements that QBR has. I love how it has opponent adjustments for one,
Huh? DVOA already does this. Heavily.

hawksfan515":2f98crdb said:
but it needs to start devaluing play when it's a blowout. They put Wilson at #7 because he had poor completions in the red zone, but most of those were in the blowout, and should be devalued like QBR did to them.
DVOA also already does this. I suggest you read the basic guide on how DVOA is calculated: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

well look at that. I assumed they didn't. Thanks for clearing that up Roland.

And yeah, since DVOA puts in the opponent adjustments, it does put them over the top. One of QBR's bigger problems IMO.

kearly

Reaction score
hawksfan515":fy25peg1 said:

Teams with the higher Total QBR scores posted a 16-0 record in Week 15.

No.

Navyhawkfan187":fy25peg1 said:

Ditto. ANYA is a good pure passing stat as well.

QBR has good intentions, but miserable in execution. It seems like every week you see a QBR score that is WILDLY at odds with reality. I strongly suspect judges bias is the reason for it's flaws. It's a stat without empirical accountability. At least DVOA is based on data. QBR is based on whether or not to blame the WR for a drop and other contextual things that are decided by the scorer- which is made worse by the fact that it's very unlikely that the same strike zone is being applied to every player (different people charting).

In short, there are a lot of subjective judgement calls in the stat. PFF is a very strong comparison but PFF's stats are accurate more often. UZR is a bit of a subjective tracking stat in baseball and stat geeks never tire of bashing it for not being empirical enough.

Really, there is no stat that perfectly captures football. It's a sad, cold hard fact. I have a ton of respect for guys like Aaron Schatz and Brian Burke, but I still remember when one of them was on a serious campaign to anoint Jason Campbell as a secretly great QB. That's not a rip on him, just a warning that even the best empirical process can lead one astray in a sport as integrated as football.

I generally trust the stats that back up the eyeball test the best, knowing that they still aren't perfect and there will always be information left out of any stat. All I ask is that a stat indicates a good score when a QB was obviously good and a bad score when a QB was obviously bad. Maybe over a whole season, QBR's flaws iron out and it's decent, but game to game it's been a joke at times this season.