Tale of the 'Combine' tape....Colin vs Russell

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • At their respective combines:

Pretty similar performances....two great athletes!

Colin Kaepernick, 2011 Combine:
    6'5" 233lb, 33.5" arm length, 9 1/8" hands.
    40 yard dash: 4.53 seconds (and a top performer for QB), Vertical Jump: 32.5", Broad Jump: 115.0", 3 Cone Drill: 6.85 seconds, 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.18 seconds.

Russell Wilson 2012 Combine:
    5'11" 204lb, 31" arm length, 10 1/4" hands.
    40 yard dash: 4.55 seconds (and a top performer for QB), Vertical Jump: 34", Broad Jump: 118.0", 3 Cone Drill: 6.97 seconds (and a top performer for QB), 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.09 seconds (and a top performer for QB).
    "I didn't do anything...i just headbutted him!"
    purpleworld
    NET Starter

• Kaepernick is 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier though. Even at those insane measurments, he still runs faster than RW, almost jumps/broad jumps as high/far, does the cone drill faster, and nearly matches his 20 yard shuttle.

Goes to show smarts matter quite a whole lot, as Russell has outperformed Kaep.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• No offense, but in my opinion that is all 100% meaningless.

There is nothing in any of those numbers that tell me whether either is going to be a great quarterback or a terrible quarterback.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:No offense, but in my opinion that is all 100% meaningless.

There is nothing in any of those numbers that tell me whether either is going to be a great quarterback or a terrible quarterback.

In Kaeps defense, he is quite hard to defend with his speed and strength. Almost Cam-Newton esque, except Newton's just a tad slower but seems to be a lot thicker with way more power.

If Kaep didn't have that breakaway speed, I'd go as far to suggest he never would of wrestled the starting job away from Smith.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Agreed.

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

We're just looking at the stats of two amazing football players who are doing great at the QB position....i find the comparative performances interesting!
    Last edited by purpleworld on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "I didn't do anything...i just headbutted him!"
    purpleworld
    NET Starter

• purpleworld wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:No offense, but in my opinion that is all 100% meaningless.

We're just looking at the stats of two great football players who are doing great at the QB position....i find the comparative performances interesting!

Again... Those performances aren't comparitive at all.... Just look at the massive height and weight difference. Wilson's performance is merely "good". Kaepernicks performance is just outstanding.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    purpleworld wrote:

We're just looking at the stats of two great football players who are doing great at the QB position....i find the comparative performances interesting!

Again... Those performances aren't comparitive at all.... Just look at the massive height and weight difference. Wilson's performance is merely "good". Kaepernicks performance is just outstanding.

Bull*&^%! The guy is 6'5" and let's Wilson out broad jump him? Embarrassing. And, I really like Wilson being so compact, with an inch and a quarter bigger hands. Let's see who has the better career and who lasts longer in the NFL.
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    purpleworld wrote:

How is comparing two things, not comparative?
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• hawksfan515 wrote:Kaepernick is 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier though. Even at those insane measurments, he still runs faster than RW, almost jumps/broad jumps as high/far, does the cone drill faster, and nearly matches his 20 yard shuttle.

How many starts does Kap have? I know they are both rookies but lets remember that one beat out a backup and one beat out a guy that just went a game missing one pass and had taken his team to the NFC championship.

I am not saying that one is better than the other but to say that this shows that RW is smarter because he has outperformed Kap isn't something I can agree with.

We will see but I expect these two to be battling out for the next few years and I think when their careers are done people will remember them for a long time
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:Kaepernick is 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier though. Even at those insane measurments, he still runs faster than RW, almost jumps/broad jumps as high/far, does the cone drill faster, and nearly matches his 20 yard shuttle.

How many starts does Kap have? I know they are both rookies but lets remember that one beat out a backup and one beat out a guy that just went a game missing one pass and had taken his team to the NFC championship.

I am not saying that one is better than the other but to say that this shows that RW is smarter because he has outperformed Kap isn't something I can agree with.

We will see but I expect these two to be battling out for the next few years and I think when their careers are done people will remember them for a long time

Kap is not a rookie. He has had 1 1/2 years in the system to learn before he started. So to be fair, what RW is doing as a rookie is impressive. Good thing they get to settle it on the field!
    NorCal
    NET Rookie

• NorCal wrote:
    mikeak wrote:Kap is not a rookie. He has had 1 1/2 years in the system to learn before he started. So to be fair, what RW is doing as a rookie is impressive. Good thing they get to settle it on the field!

Correct not a rookie - mispoke

I didn't say that what RW is doing isn't impressive it is. I am just saying that to say that he is smarter than Kap and therefore more succesful is not something I think is proven. It may be the case down the road but these guys are at the beginning of their careers lets see how it moves forward
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I think both Kaep and Wilson are amazing QB's and are running both of their teams perfectly

I think these teams are setting up their styles for the long haul and it's going to be fun to watch who can win the division for years to come

Awesome stuff fellas
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• AbsolutNET wrote:How is comparing two things, not comparative?

You know what I mean. I just think that Colin Kaepernicks performance at the combine is quite a lot better than Russell Wilsons. None the less, I still think Wilson's a better QB.

And to Sam1313, yes, a big positive for Wilson is his hand size, definitely. Same with how bulky he looks, I do think Russell Wilson won't get injured as much as Kaepernick will, as Kaepernick seems to fight more for extra yards and is a little skinnier. We will see.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:Kaepernick is 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier though. Even at those insane measurments, he still runs faster than RW, almost jumps/broad jumps as high/far, does the cone drill faster, and nearly matches his 20 yard shuttle.

His hands are also TINY TINY. Russell's huge hands crush Kaepernicks.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:Kaepernick is 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier though. Even at those insane measurments, he still runs faster than RW, almost jumps/broad jumps as high/far, does the cone drill faster, and nearly matches his 20 yard shuttle.

Kap isn't a rookie, he's a 2nd year player. So he's had 1 extra year of development over Russell Wilson.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• T-Sizzle wrote:

Really?

Kaepernick has 9.5 inch hands, while Wilson has 10.25 inch hands.

I would really like to find how big Dave Kriegs hands are (for comparison, as I know that most people say his fumbling issues were due to his small hands), but I can't find it.... anyone here know?
    Last edited by hawksfan515 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• none of these combine stats mean anything to me other than they're both fast and can jump high and long... other than that??? what they both do on the football field is what impresses me... both have strong arms, good pocket presence with the ablility to scramble and pass , or make plays with their legs.. that's comparible to me... could care less how big their hands are, as long as they're bigh enough to palm a football and throw it 60 yrds , i'm good.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• These stats show that Wilson is more athletic then Colin. =]
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Starter

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:

Really?

Kaepernick has 9.5 inch hands, while Wilson has 10.25 inch hands.

I would really like to find how big Dave Kriegs hands are, but I can't find it.... anyone here know?

You might want to check your math.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• For shame.

Here's a real simple breakdown.

Wilson is awesome.

Kaepernick can get on his knees...and I'll keep it PG for now. forget this guy, can't wait to watch the wheels fall off San Fran's bandwagon. They better figure out how to snap a football cleanly, and on a consistent basis. I honestly don't give a damn about any of his numbers, or stats, dude plays for the wrong team if he wants to be liked by me. He could play lights out for an entire season, but he won't get me gushing over his performances. That's just my personal opinion though, I will never give props to an enemy. Even in defeat, I will wait patiently until the day revenge can be taken.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:38 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information