Coaching matchup vs SF

GoHawks

Reaction score
Carroll has done very well in player evaluation and building his team

Douchebaugh seems to outdo him in game scheming ?

Regardless of the outcome of this game - hopefully this team shows progress in this regard

Can I get an amen!

amill87

Reaction score
Well I think we need to see some more out of both coaches.

Harbaugh is excellent at drawing up game plans and in game coaching. His play calling is absolutely helping Kaep just like it helped Smith. The question that is out there about Harbaugh is going to be can he continue the success by maintaining and building his team? It's a pretty common knock on him that he inherited most of the talent on that team. As the Niners have more successful seasons, the harder it will be to retain both player and coaching talent. Only time will tell if he can pull it off but it's a hard thing to do and very few coaches in the league can sustain success that long.

Carroll on the other hand has shown an excellent ability to build a team and make personnel decisions. It's a bit of a different situation here because Carroll actually has final say while I don't think Harbaugh does in San Fran (could be wrong on that though). Carroll's scheming and ability to think outside the box player wise is well above average. The question with Carroll comes in his game planning and in game coaching decisions. While he has seemed to improved on that lately, in all of our losses it was pretty clear that he was completely out coached game plan wise.

I think Harbaugh started out red hot and will start to cool as the seasons go and his team loses the talent they have. That doesn't mean the Niners are gonna suck but I do think they are nearing their peak under Harbaugh soon (hopefully they don't get a Super Bowl before than). Carroll on the other hand has had a much slower approach and one that I think can maintain longer success so long as he becomes a better coach with game planning and in game coaching. Both teams feel great about their coaches but the next couple seasons will tell the real truth.

OP
OP
G

GoHawks

Reaction score
Good point Amill87, I agree and I think that given somewhat equal talent that carroll gives me the impression of being able to sustain success over the long haul as he comes off as being able to relate with and develop his talent, whereas Harbs seems to be a better game schemer but as you say inherited a great team, and I don't think his personlity and ability to relate with and develop his players is on par with Carroll

Hawks46

Reaction score
I will say that Harbaugh does seem to be a great game manager and made good in game adjustments, but either him, or his GM aren't exactly lighting the world on fire with their draft picks.

Aldon Smith was a great one, but their 1st round WR this year has been a flop and they aren't getting near the value from their drafts that we are.

At this rate, we're going to overtake them just based upon a constant talent upgrade across the roster. The beautiful thing about this is that as we continue to draft guys, they're going to upgrade guys that are pretty damned good already. We can then trade proven players for even more draft picks.