Opinions Wanted

BASF

Reaction score
From the older posters here. Recently, I went through the Seahawks rosters throughout the years to associate with each of the 60 seconds to keep track of where I am with my workout and chose the best players for each jersey number. However, I have hit a bit of a glitch with a decision for number 55. As much as people want to say that Bosworth sucked, he was a good linebacker that simply couldn't stay healthy. However, I liked Michael Jackson quite a bit back in the day, but I was very young and don't remember much about him. He was a starter for four or five seasons for us and always good for four or five turnovers a year.

So, my question to those who were older than me and have a clearer memory of the time, was Michael Jackson a better linebacker than the Boz?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I will try, but when you mentioned the clearer memory part I might have a big lapse in that department.
I remember MJ as a journeyman level type player. Good wrap up tackler, remained healthy through the season, sturdy body, but without the speed that Boz had.
I may be totally off base, but I would rate him as merely average.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
MJ was a true journeyman. He was solid but not spectacular. You could count on him to be on the field every game but would not wow you with big plays. In my memory banks he seemed limited in range because of his speed but once he had the runner in his grasp it was over. I don't remember his coverage skills so I won't speak to those. MJ on this team would be a backup.

The Boz on the other hand played lights out for a very short time. He did more damage to his body than it could take after his steroid use in college. His shoulders were coming apart but he was fun to watch. His decision to consume high levels of steroids in college doomed his NFL career.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Boz DID suck. If not for steroids, he'd have been nothing.

Michael Jackson, on the other hand, was a solid athlete who grew up in Pasco Washington. I knew him personally and played basketball with him and his friends although he was a high school basketball star and I was just a little fifth grader, he always made sure that I and any of my friends who played got the ball. In fact, it was Michael who went out of his way to invite us little kids to play ball with him.

Michael's highlights included making the Seahawks team and his endzone interception in the Rose Bowl that sealed up a Husky win.

Boz was a steroid freak and a loser. Michael Jackson was a class act and someone kids looked up to even back when he was just a kid himself.

To me, it's a no brainer.

The Radish

Reaction score
The Boz did not suck!!

For the short time he was not injured he was as good at his position as anyone before or since.

Now before everyone gets all fired up he also probably used himself up at Oklahoma using steriods to play for our old friend Barry Switzer.

At least we got a couple of seasons out of him. Much better than we did trading McIntosh from the Pack. He got hurt in training camp and I don't think ever played a down for us that counted.

Canhawks

Reaction score
I can't recall the Boz ever being considered anything better than an average at best linebacker,for whatever reason I remember Jackson having a nasty temper,the time he punched the players bench to the ground in a tantrum sticks in my memory.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jackson mostly because he was able to stick around a while and for me an ex Husky over a shorter tenure Sooner is hands down better.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I can recall seeing the Boz be very disruptive, his pursuit to the runner was exceptional and he was a smart player.

There were many steroid using players back then that had longer careers, but then experienced serious failure very early in their lives.

The problem with Boz was not just his own hype, but the media. They made Bosworth what he was. It just went crazy, even in the Navy, out of a large group of guys one of the accepted posters on the wall was "The Land of Boz". Even non-Seahawk fans loved him.

The first time he faced Denver, I want to say in his first play he went after Elway and didn't just sack him, but threw him back like a rag doll, then he taunted. I liked it. :)

I was only 21 years old at the time. It just sucked when he went out. Those two years were fairly good years. I would wear a Bosworth jersey, straight up, with 55 on it, just for the reaction.

Boz was NOT a bust. Even in the era Tony Mandarich was 100x the fail.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
v1rotv2":17vjwxyn said:
MJ was a true journeyman. He was solid but not spectacular. You could count on him to be on the field every game but would not wow you with big plays. In my memory banks he seemed limited in range because of his speed but once he had the runner in his grasp it was over. I don't remember his coverage skills so I won't speak to those. MJ on this team would be a backup.

The Boz on the other hand played lights out for a very short time. He did more damage to his body than it could take after his steroid use in college. His shoulders were coming apart but he was fun to watch. His decision to consume high levels of steroids in college doomed his NFL career.
This....... AND, sadly, the Raiders Bo Jackson (still being played after all these years) kind of tore up the perception of Bozworth's persona of a master craftsman.
#55 Brian Bozworth was better known for his buff, and haircut, and his role in some movies after he washed out with the Seahawks.
M. Jackson was solid but not spectacular, and as been mentioned before, would have been a backup for the Seahawks nowadays.

madbohem

Reaction score
Epic - Boz and Seahawk Buster T Shirts he was selling to the Denver fans... after selling a line of Bronco Buster T Shirts to Seattle. Denver fans were out in full force that game wearing the Seahawk buster Shirts and after the game it was revealed he made a mint.

Injuries made him a bust in the sense that he never had the time to live up to his hype... and the timing was pretty close to him getting rolled on by Bo Jackson... so he will be remembered forever under that light.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Jackson led the team in tackles for several seasons. Was Sports star of the year, team mvp and earned 21 game balls in his tenure with us. He's amongst the teams career leaders in tackles.

If that makes him a journeyman, then Boz? My God! Boz was one of the most hated Seahawks amongst Seattle fans i can ever remember. I don't understand how people can say he was ever any good. All this hype around Luck today reminds me of the hype around Boz back when he was supposedly good. He was never any good.

Oh, and journeymen have to, you know, JOURNEY. Michael Jackson was with the seahawks his entire 8 year career.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Michael Jackson.

He had a great career.

I actually did an excercise like 10 years ago where I determined the best player at each roster #. I'm pretty sure I had Eric Lane at #37 since Alexander still hadn't broken out yet.

But when I did that, Jackson was #55 and that hasn't changed. Bosworth played some good ball but his career was short.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MJ did have a great highway safety campaign. Only drive 55.

Rainger

Reaction score
BASF":2sewcftf said:
From the older posters here. Recently, I went through the Seahawks rosters throughout the years to associate with each of the 60 seconds to keep track of where I am with my workout and chose the best players for each jersey number. However, I have hit a bit of a glitch with a decision for number 55. As much as people want to say that Bosworth sucked, he was a good linebacker that simply couldn't stay healthy. However, I liked Michael Jackson quite a bit back in the day, but I was very young and don't remember much about him. He was a starter for four or five seasons for us and always good for four or five turnovers a year.

So, my question to those who were older than me and have a clearer memory of the time, was Michael Jackson a better linebacker than the Boz?
No, I like MJ a lot but the Boz was better for a very short time. MJ was better only because of longevity. The Boz really was a beast for his small size. Hit like a ton and was very very fast.

sam1313

Reaction score
Who has 55 currently? Heath Farwell? I like the guys so just because I don't really remember MJ I would probably pick Heath.

OP
OP
BASF

BASF

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":ozzysk94 said:
Michael Jackson.

He had a great career.

I actually did an excercise like 10 years ago where I determined the best player at each roster #. I'm pretty sure I had Eric Lane at #37 since Alexander still hadn't broken out yet.

But when I did that, Jackson was #55 and that hasn't changed. Bosworth played some good ball but his career was short.

I am curious what you came up with for 5, 6, 13, 36, 40, 46 and 48. I ended up using players from other teams and in the case of 5,6 and 36 had to use other sports entirely since there were no players I liked with those numbers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Radish":e907jfou said:
The Boz did not suck!.

Bo Jackson disagrees.

bojackson_bosworth.jpg

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
BASF":2s3pl5t4 said:
Hawkstorian":2s3pl5t4 said:
Michael Jackson.

He had a great career.

I am curious what you came up with for 5, 6, 13, 36, 40, 46 and 48. I ended up using players from other teams and in the case of 5,6 and 36 had to use other sports entirely since there were no players I liked with those numbers.

5 was Ruben Rodriguez, the rest I really can't remember. It's been a long time, I may have to re-visit.

6 was the only number I could never find an actual player wearing in the regular season. Right now, Charlie Whitehurst is the greatest #6 in team history. That's what was fun about the exercise. Some numbers had real competition (Efren Herrera vs. Warren Moon), and some numbers had guys who barely played.

I'll try to work throught it again in the off-season.