can turbin be the next great seahawk rb?

redhawk253

Reaction score
hey so the thread on alexander vs lynch got me thinking after watching some youtube highlights and turbin's performance so far this year..

so i was watching the alexander and lynch highlights on youtube and i got a little distracted when some turbin college highlights that i have watched before popped up.. it was crazy because one of his first highlights is almost identical to an alexander highlight of bumping a sweep to the left out to the edge then cutting back inside for a 50 plus yard score.. some real similar inside runs where he just effortlessly makes the right cut at top speed and takes what would be a 10-20 yd gain to the house.. then im seeing him truck 2 or 3 guys in a row to pick up an extra 5 yards on a run.. and just all around man handling defenders where it takes 2-3 to bring him down.

basically who here thinks turbin could be the next seahawks great? im a big fan of him he's done just about as much as anyone could expect from a backup rookie rb.. and it makes me feel good knowing hes back there with lynch's running style and knowing he could be out at any given time.. but turbin just seems to have everything you could want from a rb a blend of alexander and lynch's skills.. he's got the size.. speed like alexander.. looks to have good vision.. no quit like marshawn and a punishing running style. this could be like when alexander was drafted and played backup to watters.. in a couple years lynch will be 30 and we all know how that rb decline goes.. but our o line should also be real stable by then.. perfect time for turbin to step in and do his thing.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
i'd say the potential is there and it's really tied up into how long we can Keep Cable's mojo here. The Broncos had a jillion great backs in a row and we know that had to be hugely systemic. Turbin definitely has pretty nice tools to work with, though.

Sac

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything from Turbin that makes me think he couldn't...With that said, other than last week he hasn't gotten many opportunities. But with Lynch having back issues it's possible we could see "next man up" before Lynch hits 30. And I wouldn't doubt we see more splitting reps in the next couple years. I'd actually like to see them both crack 1000 yards next season.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Most of Turbins big runs have occurred after Lynch as softened up the defense already. I like Turbins willingness to go north south. His legs look like toothpicks compared to his arms.

nsport

Reaction score
One thing we all need to keep in perspective with Lynch is he's only 26. That being said, it's realistic to say that he is in his prime until he's 29 or 30, barring any health conditions. Running backs seem to get thicker/slower about that age, to the point they become less effective.

Turbin is a nice upgrade from Washington and Forsett. Forsett was too indecisive and while quick, didn't have a real burst. It seems he's doing a bit better than he did here in Houston, but he is certainly a backup RB. Washington is a solid football player. He can do a lot, but I have never seen him as an every down back - although if pressed, I'm sure he'd do just fine.

Turbin, I see him as a RBOTF potential - he needs to thicken up his base, but the speed, quickness, and burst are all there. I love Lynch - and I think by next season it wouldn't surprise me if we all assessed Turbin as a high-value backup who is capable of being the full time starter.

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
yeah we have gotten to see him quite a bit whenever we want to throw a passing play to a rb though.. in the miami game he had 3 catches for 47 yards.. i really like that about him his hands seem to be nice. also if you watch his main youtube highlight film from college i love his fricken attitude..

not exactly what he said but along these lines..

"i just want to be that guy you can always rely on.. whether its picking up a blitzer.. you're throwin the ball to me.. we need a yard. you just need to know i got your back"

Jiggy

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":1vfopui4 said:
Most of Turbins big runs have occurred after Lynch as softened up the defense already. I like Turbins willingness to go north south. His legs look like toothpicks compared to his arms.

This reminded me of a statement made by Moon about Turbin earlier this year. He was talking about how big Turbin is and the statement was something llike "He is a walking muscle".

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
Lynch is the Master, Turbin is the Apprentice. One day Turbin will take over. He is the long term future.

hawker84

Reaction score
i think he has what it takes, would like to eventually get one of those small quick backs and do the whole thunder and lightning thing..

lynch is the man and he's in his prime.. but his running style and our line.. i give him two years to continue at this pace barring injury before his body is beaten down.. turbin has the power and speed and vision to succeed in this league, but i would like to get to a one two punch type offense.... just a thought.

need to address it sooner or later, i don't see lynch lasting more the 2, 3 years more at this pace.

madbohem

Reaction score
I am really excited about Turbin. He gets few looks now, but he runs great routes as a receiver and he is very fast as well as capable of moving a pile.

There is also the fact that he rooms with Wilson and there does seem to be a connection between the two. I think over the coarse of time, the relationships our QB makes with players is going to be a big impact on how this team defines itself over the next few years.

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
posting this quote again as i think people may have missed it

"i just want to be that guy you can always rely on.. whether its picking up a blitzer.. you're throwin the ball to me.. we need a yard. you just need to know i got your back"

fricken LOVE that attitude.

one thing that i find weird is that turbin was asigned to m rob instead of lynch as his rookie.. kinda makes sense since lynch is still relatively young and has had an attitude issue his whole career.. you can see in the m rob reports he's not the friendliest guy. but i just hope its not because the seahawks plan to convert him to a fullback in the future.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I haven't seen that type of pedigree from him yet.

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d5VdZ9PWUg

this is robert turbin's main highlight vid from college on youtube.. gives you a good look at his personality.. but also a lot of skills we haven't got to see yet because he hasn't gotten enough time on the field.. im hoping we get to see this in the future as he sees more touches.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Prior to the draft, I was hoping for a lightning type back to compliment the thunder of Lynch. A COP back would have made more sense...unless Pete felt Lynch's style will cause his premature departure from the team / league. I think this is why we drafted Turbin. He is destined to be the next load carrier us. I won't be surprised if he is carrying the ball a dozen times per game to start next season, that number growing as the weeks go on until he and ML are almost splitting carries.

Backs hate this approach, believing their YPC improve as the game wears on. I'd like to see some stats on this and believe fresh legs are never a bad thing. I think Turbin is going to be a good one and the next time we are in position to do so, I'd like to see him score. Would be a great confidence builder as well as a thank you for his hard work this year and going forward. Another great pick by Pete and co.

PAT206

Reaction score
I don't know if he'll ever be a starter. He was a good draft pick and so far he's impressed. I feel like theres still alot that he can learn and that he can become a great player. He seems like a pretty good kid too so it will be fun to watch how he develops as a RB.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I think the thing to look at is the difference in leg strength between he and Lynch. No contest on upper body strength but Lynch makes em pay with his legs after contact. I could be totally off base though. Helluva 1-2-3 punch when you throw Robinson in this mix!

HawkWow

Reaction score
PAT206":9br2ioom said:
I don't know if he'll ever be a starter. He was a good draft pick and so far he's impressed. I feel like theres still alot that he can learn and that he can become a great player. He seems like a pretty good kid too so it will be fun to watch how he develops as a RB.

This is why I'd like to see him get a few more carries (and a score or two). He's one play away from being our starter.

Turbin has stepped into an arrangement that almost assures his future success. I can't imagine him spelling Lynch, then giving less than 100%. I think ML himself would berate him to the point where it wouldn't happen again. He's not getting as many carries as SA did in his first year, but I sincerely believe competing against (the great) Ricky Watters for playing time was the best thing that could have happened to SA. Turbin needs to understand that despite ML's fanfare and rightful lofty spot on this team, Turbin IS competing with ML. I don't necessarily see that in him at this moment...but believe that time will come.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Hated the drop in the niners game, and he needs to remember the apple pies. Correct those things, and there's our future.

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
cant forget the apple pies.. why even go if you dont bring back no apple pies?!

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
two things he needs to improve on, dropping easy passes and the strange ability to tackle himself. I have seen him on numerous occasions trya nd make too hard of a cut and slip and fall, untouched. happened in the cards game and a bunch in preasseason.