Adam Schefter: Tom Cable... future Seahawks Head Coach?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Could be apparently...

LINK: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/10s ... er-10-spot

Seattle's MVP could be Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman or Marshawn Lynch, but its most valuable coach might be assistant head coach Tom Cable. Ask any Seattle player, and he will speak of how important Cable has been.

He has helped give Seattle its physical mindset. Lynch even waited for reassurance that Cable would be back for 2012 before he agreed to re-sign.

Cable went 8-8 in 2010 as Oakland's head coach under Al Davis -- that Raiders team even swept its AFC West games. Many around the league expect Cable to be a head coach again.

He's from Washington, and Pete Carroll is the league's second-oldest head coach, even if he doesn't always act like it. Whenever Carroll decides he's done, Cable could be his successor -- if another team doesn't hire him first.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I don't see Pete retiring until he is forced out. He's got too much competitive juice. I'd expect (and hope) PC and RW to go as a package in 10-15 years.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Pete is the youngest 60-year-old ever. I just don't see him petering out anytime soon.

Nice to see an article like this, though, that DOESN'T involve Pete being "on the hot seat".

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maybe, but even at Pete's age, he's not the kind of type A personality coach that's going to ride off into the sunset in a couple years. My guess is Pete's gonna coach til they rip the laminated play card out of his hands.

Which means if Cable wants to be a head coach again, his chances are better elsewhere.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Pete is young at heart, to say the least. I don't see him retiring any time soon.

But when he does, Cable would be my choice to replace him, no question.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Cable can be mentored, but I feel he is only one piece of the puzzle, may be it is the biggest piece of the puzzle, but a Head Coach should have all the traits of managing all the aspect of a football team like players, other coaches, media, fans and so on. I don't think Cable is ready, but he can be if he is mentored by Pete. I still feel would he have taken a decision to hire RW in the 3rd round, or would he and John Snyder be on the same page, I don't know, would Gus Bradley be excited to be under him, I doubt it, I think Gus is learning a lot from Pete, but I am not sure if he would feel the same with Cable for now.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I think Tom Cable could be a great head coach for us. I don't see Carroll not being our head coach for at least another five years. More like 8-10. He's still a kid in all ways but his age, for crying out loud. :)

@Rasta: Very. I thought it was stupid at the time, and that was before we picked him up.

WSUhawk4life

Reaction score
rastahawk":dfv2vg47 said:
Does anyone else think the Raiders were dumb to get rid of Cable?

YES! As soon as I heard they did I thought they were crazy. Swept their division! that is worth a rehire in my book. I remember Mcfadden was a beast that year.
Didn't he run over us in Oakland that same year?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Tom would be a great fit, but it would be painful to watch the defense slowly regress...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rastahawk":dpev6z6n said:
Does anyone else think the Raiders were dumb to get rid of Cable?

I think everyone other than Al Davis.

Cable had the Raiders playing hard nasty football............but that was the Al Davis way, "you either win with the horrifically terrible draft picks and free agents I personally pick cause I'm still living in 1975, or you get fired."

mikeak

Reaction score
seahawks08":zgdf2rj6 said:
Cable can be mentored, but I feel he is only one piece of the puzzle, may be it is the biggest piece of the puzzle, but a Head Coach should have all the traits of managing all the aspect of a football team like players, other coaches, media, fans and so on. I don't think Cable is ready, but he can be if he is mentored by Pete..

To me it is very hard to look at an assistant and say if they can be a HC or not. Cable did lead a team to an 8-8 so I think he would be a good HC. Just because he embraces the assistant role doesn't mean he can't completely change and take charge. I work like that myself - I have been part of many teams which I was just one of the wheels and I made sure that my end kept working and suggested improvements where I could. When I run teams I am a totally different person looking at the full picture continously not getting bogged down in the details that others need to look at.

Other people are good at leading teams but not as great when they are just one person in the big wheel and vice versa

SirTed

Reaction score
I would be ALL OVER Cable being our next Head Coach. After the Mora experiment, I don't know that a "Head Coach in Waiting" situation would work, but perhaps the front office could just reassure him that he'll be a front runner if he wants it. Plus, let's just make sure to pay the man a lot now.

Lastly, everyone assumes that the HC job is the most coveted. Maybe, just maybe Cable likes the spot he's in. Lots of control and influence, good pay and a lot less pressure.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I've kind of assumed this was the case ever since Cable became the Assistant Head Coach. I don't know how we're going to retain him, though, unless there's a handshake deal somewhere in the mix.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Cable would do fine as HC, he was able to succeed in Oakland when Al was still there, a rare rare situation. Most coaches have went there and died in Als last 10 years or so. For Cable to succeed at all means he dealt with the psychobabble of Al and a whinie informant on his staff as well as all the player egos and problems and still pulled out success.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Cable is to the Seahawks what Ed Orgeron is the Trojans. And both are line coaches, albeit on opposite sides of the ball.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to it if Cables still around when Pete chucks the deuces to his career.

Latest posts