Greatest player ever

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Greatest player ever
Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:45 pm
  • "Starting in each of his 180 games in Seattle, the Seahawks attempted more than 5,500 passes with Jones on the field, while Jones gave up a total of only 23 quarterback sacks, and was penalized for holding just nine times". Wikipedia.

Nine frikin' holds in 180 games while giving up just 23 sacks?? Crazy stats right there.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:56 pm
  • 1a - Largent (my hero as a kid, so I am admittedly biased)
    1b - Walt Jones
    1c - Cortez Kennedy
    1d - Kenny Easely

Honestly, I think all of those guys could arguably be the best ever at their positions in the NFL. If they had played for another franchise they would have been a lot bigger.

If you gave me truth serum, I would probably admit Walter was the best ever, but because him and my brother share the same name, and I am such a Largent Homer, I have to say #80.

Kennedy was absolutely amazing. One man wrecking crew at times. Kenny was a freak of nature.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:21 pm
  • Wiseguy wrote:Norm Johnson

:sarcasm_off:

i lold hard.
    But it's gotta be Walt, followed by Tez. No one else is even close in my mind
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:41 pm
  • I will go with Largent, he was poetry to watch. Was our first superstar. Until Rice beat them he held all sorts of NFL records.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:46 pm
  • Hey, don't be dissin' on Norm. That dude was rock solid for us in our first glory years in the 80's...

A Blue Buzz-Saw has emerged from the Pacific Northwest. Prepare, NFL.

SEAHAWKS, 2014. Coming soon...
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:32 pm
  • Where is Jacob Green on that list?
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:43 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:Greatest player in team history is a very interesting debate between Largent and Walt. I've gone back and forth many times. I really can't decide anymore. Largent's legacy has been eroded by the way the game has changed and the number of players who have passed his career numbers, many of whom probably won't get into the hall.

I feel the same. My tie breaker comes down to who was more dominant. And when I look at Walts penalties and sacks given up I give him the edge. I would never argue anyone who felt different because Largent was the pioneer of the Seahawks. And even though I feel Largent wasn't as consistently dominant he was dependant of QB and Oline play and Walter controlled his own fate individually.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:03 pm
  • SEC FAN wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:Greatest player in team history is a very interesting debate between Largent and Walt. I've gone back and forth many times. I really can't decide anymore. Largent's legacy has been eroded by the way the game has changed and the number of players who have passed his career numbers, many of whom probably won't get into the hall.

I feel the same. My tie breaker comes down to who was more dominant. And when I look at Walts penalties and sacks given up I give him the edge. I would never argue anyone who felt different because Largent was the pioneer of the Seahawks. And even though I feel Largent wasn't as consistently dominant he was dependant of QB and Oline play and Walter controlled his own fate individually.

However, what Largent did in the era without an elite QB is impressive. Rice had Montana and Steve Young along with better playmakers around him.

Of course we are a pass happy league today. It's apples and oranges. That is why "best player ever" debates are so fun.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:18 pm
  • Starrman44 wrote:However, what Largent did in the era without an elite QB is impressive. Rice had Montana and Steve Young along with better playmakers around him.

Of course we are a pass happy league today. It's apples and oranges. That is why "best player ever" debates are so fun.

Yep thats part of the reason I would never argue against Largent. Imagine if we were the Redskins and replaced Monk with Largent? And maybe Largent had an MVP or 2 in the SuperBowl. See how that changes everything lol. Largent was better than Monk. Now who do you got? A multiple time SuperBowl MVP or possibly the greatest left tackle ever? It can go either way and I know it.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:49 pm
  • John L Williams: He was just a fine player. One of my favs.

Alexander the Great- Poetry in motion.

Dave Kreig- Most galvanizing either in respect or contempt.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:42 am
  • Walter freakin' Jones

Dude was DOMINANT! Easily the best player at his position during his time in the NFL.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:31 am
  • Russell Wilson. I can see into the future though, so it's not really fair.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:35 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information