Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
After hearing the news that Rice is now in a walking boot because of a foot injury, it makes me wonder why we let Edwards go.

The talent gap between Rice and Charly Martin is Grand Canyon-esque. Not sure why Pete and John decided to release Edwards when they knew Rice had a chronic foot problem (along with his history of being hurt). We saw last year how limited our passing game is when Rice isn't in the game.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Because Braylon has a hamstring issue that they felt would keep him out at least 3 games.

ParisPC07

Reaction score
I hope not. His few catches seemed to come in clutch moments, but they were still few.

I heard he was hurt again. I could be mistaken.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
meh its not like Braylon is reliable anyways, healthy or injured.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The guy did nothing, not worried about it at all. Beast Mode and Russell and the option plays they were doing vs. Chicago, we'll be golden.

drdiags

Reaction score
Pete said he didn't think (and the team didn't think) Braylon would recover from his hamstring injury before the season ended. After Edward's season last year with the 9ers the Seahawks probably told him he had to stay healthy. Look at the last second, mysterious injury before the Lions game. Was surprised with his release, just as well as the Winslow release but not sure how bad these guys legs were.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":14xu67pr said:
Because Braylon has a hamstring issue that they felt would keep him out at least 3 games.

Then why would the Jets sign him?

Not saying Edwards was playing great, but he did have a TD catch (and almost a 2nd one in Chicago)........and is more dangerous than Martin. Just a little confusing is all if Rice's foot problem was known prior to the release.

hawker84

Reaction score
baldwin... te's need to play huge, backs need to catch the ball.... has it been confirmed rice is out this sunday?

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tyy7r93 said:
Navyhawkfan187":3tyy7r93 said:

Not saying Edwards was playing great, but he did have a TD catch (and almost a 2nd one in Chicago)........and is more dangerous than Martin. Just a little confusing is all if Rice's foot problem was known prior to the release.

I agree with this. An inactive Braylon Edwards is still more dangerous than a healthy Charley Martin.

Aerik

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1tcof2hc said:
The guy did nothing, not worried about it at all. Beast Mode and Russell and the option plays they were doing vs. Chicago, we'll be golden.

I see what you did there

BocciHawk

Reaction score
If Braylon Edwards is the answer, I don't like the question.

I think some of the reason he was released is that they were going to have to churn the roster somewhat because of the CB suspensions. Folks seem to forget that when you've got a guy suspended, or two guys suspended, it can really mess with the roster... you don't want to release healthy guys or guys that you know you need later, on the off chance that another team tries to pick them up and take advantage.

I don't think PC or JS thought anyone would want a dinged up Braylon Edwards for a few weeks. I'm kind of surprised the Jets took a flyer on him given his comments on Twitter.

hoxrox

Reaction score
To me, he looked slow on his routes, and didn't do a good job using his height to his advantage.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1kc42iz8 said:
Navyhawkfan187":1kc42iz8 said:

The Jets may have signed him because they know they're tied to Sanchez at QB, and they have zero WRs who have any chemistry or connection with him. Edwards did at one point, and they may be trying to recapture that (in other words, they're thinking longer-term than just the last 3 weeks of the season).

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
BocciHawk":yjo2lilz said:
If Braylon Edwards is the answer, I don't like the question.

I think some of the reason he was released is that they were going to have to churn the roster somewhat because of the CB suspensions. Folks seem to forget that when you've got a guy suspended, or two guys suspended, it can really mess with the roster... you don't want to release healthy guys or guys that you know you need later, on the off chance that another team tries to pick them up and take advantage.

I don't think PC or JS thought anyone would want a dinged up Braylon Edwards for a few weeks. I'm kind of surprised the Jets took a flyer on him given his comments on Twitter.

Suspended players do not count against the active roster. Braylon was released because he presented no value to the team for the remainder of the year.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1lf26r2v said:
The Jets may have signed him because they know they're tied to Sanchez at QB, and they have zero WRs who have any chemistry or connection with him. Edwards did at one point, and they may be trying to recapture that (in other words, they're thinking longer-term than just the last 3 weeks of the season).

Makes sense. Just seems like a gamble on Pete's part, especially if he has plans on making a run in the playoffs (which he should right?).

Cause right now our receiver corp is comprise of;

- A hurt Rice
- Tate who is just now playing up to his potential
- Baldwin who also can't stay healthy this year
- Martin (big question mark)
- Kearse (fresh off the practice roster)

Even if Edwards was indeed going to be on the shelf for 2-3 weeks, that still means he could have added roster depth for the playoffs......ESPECIALLY if one or two of our receivers are hurt/banged up.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
volsunghawk":22med914 said:
Sgt. Largent":22med914 said:
Navyhawkfan187":22med914 said:

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
IMHO...the OP is making a "Mountain out of a molehill"! Pete said in his presser yesterday that Rice has had a sore toe for the season, but when he woke up Monday morning that his entire foot was sore. He had an X-Ray taken as well as an MRI. There was no appearant structural damage. So, the MD's advised him to soak it in Epsom Salts with warm water and limit movement as long as possible.

The medical staff advised Pete the Mr. Edwards's injury to his hamstring muscle would likely limit him severely for the next three weeks. Anyone who has had a sore hamstring realizes very quickly that it limits the speed you can run. Hence, the decision to release Mr. Edwards.