Gus Bradley

KK84

Reaction score
Hey .net, long time lurker, first time poster here. Just would like to start by saying how much i love this forum. Over the last two years it has become easily my most visited site. Anyway getting to the point:

On Jaws' radio show on epsn philly, he posed a question to Chris Mortensen about who were top of the list candidates for Head Coaching jobs next year. He started off with the usual suspects, talking about Gruden, Chip Kelly, Josh McDaniels possibly giving it another shot, Pat Shurmur if the new regime in Clevelend decides to give him the boot, Andy Reid if the Eagles fire him as everyone here expects. But then he said something that almost made me choke on my wawa green tea as i was driving down 206 in Jersey. He said a name that was under the radar was Gus Bradly, defensive coordinator for the Seattle Seahawks. Now i have no idea if he was implying that he had heard of him as being a possibility from others, or if its just his own personal opinion, but it got me wondering.

With the amount of HC vacancies that are possible next year, is it conceivable that we could lose Gus as early as next year, especially if our defense plays lights out in the playoffs? I would hate to have our coaches poached away right at the beginning of something that i believe could potentially be a dynasty. I figured we'd have at least a couple years of success first. Anyway i would love your thoughts on this and look forward to contributing more in the future instead of just lurking.

Go Hawks.

sutz

Reaction score
Gus is young IIRC, and not real experienced, even at the coordinator level. He's coming around, though. Many people around here who used to be all up in his grill have recently been switching to sniffing his jock instead. It's been kind of a wierd year, where the D started off well, then appeared to slip a bit, but is now still ranking pretty high in many stats and categories.

I'm not sure if this is all to Bradley's credit or not, Pete has a pretty good defensive mind, too, and it's not really clear who should get the lion's share of the credit. But I could see some interest around the league in possibly poaching Gus from us. I would hate to lose him, though. Things are looking good, and like you said, I'd like to see it last a couple of years, at least.

OP
OP
KK84

KK84

Reaction score
Yeah thats why i was so shocked to hear his name come out of Mort's mouth. I figured if we lost anyone, Tom Cable would be first to go.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
It's cool if Bradley leaves...rumors have Monte Kiffin having some role w/ the Seahawks. Plus I'd love to try to bring Ray Horton home.

warden

Reaction score
CrimsonWazzu":ls97xgpj said:
Cable is not head coaching material.

The Raiders beg to differ, they were on the up swing with Cable and fell off the cliff when he left

OP
OP
KK84

KK84

Reaction score
I dont know that going 8-8 and building a young physical team with an old senile owner off his rocker is a complete failure. I think someday someone will give him another shot.

razgriz737

Reaction score
KK84":20xxzh0u said:
going 8-8 and building a young physical team with an old senile owner off his rocker
Sounds like the Cowboys, haha.

I don't know if Bradley is to blame, but there have been a couple questionable strategic decisions (first Arizona game, for example) this year. I wonder what other FO's think of him.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Cable is a better head coach than about 10 guys that are currently head coaches for NFL teams. If I were a fan of the Cards, Browns, Titans, Jags, Eagles, Bills, and a few others I'd be thrilled to have Cable step in and coach my team as of this weekend. He created a solid offense and a really impressive defense in no time at all.

I wouldn't be too freaked if Gus left. I think Norton could step in as the DC and do a fine job, especially since Pete is so involved with the defense.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
Welcome. I really didn't know Bradley was high on teams radars. I would love Ray Horton here once Whiz gets fired.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I doubt that. After losing this many straight, they are going to want to start clean yet again, just as they always do. They will look for the cheapest option that has some pedigree. Maybe a position coach from a recent superbowl winner.

OP
OP
KK84

KK84

Reaction score
There's a pretty strong cry from the Tard's fanbase to promote Horton to HC next year, so yeah the Bidwills will do the complete opposite.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
SharkHawk":3p7raiea said:
I doubt that. After losing this many straight, they are going to want to start clean yet again, just as they always do. They will look for the cheapest option that has some pedigree. Maybe a position coach from a recent superbowl winner.

Hey it is a pretty formidable unit........ well at least when they're not getting run over by the Hawks :mrgreen:

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":7iz6j3c4 said:
It's cool if Bradley leaves...rumors have Monte Kiffin having some role w/ the Seahawks. Plus I'd love to try to bring Ray Horton home.

Ray Horton runs a 3-4 defense

SEC FAN

Reaction score
VancitySeahawk":32paaz2p said:
-The Glove-":32paaz2p said:

We kinda do too.

themunn

Reaction score
VancitySeahawk":2kruztd4 said:
-The Glove-":2kruztd4 said:

We run a hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense, but I'd say our personnel better suits a 3-4 - Bryant-Mebane-Branch as your D-Line, Irvin-KJ-Wagner-Clemons as your LBs

SharkHawk

Reaction score
KK84":1230g9tg said:
There's a pretty strong cry from the Tard's fanbase to promote Horton to HC next year, so yeah the Bidwills will do the complete opposite.

That is precisely what I was thinking. I think it would actually make sense to try to bring Haley back. At least he was involved in their better seasons, and KC has proven that nobody is a fit there under what is going on now. But like Horton, he won't get brought in to even interview for their HC position. They are an organization that continually brings in a guy that makes little sense.

I wouldn't be surprised at all in all seriousness if they made a run at a guy like McDaniels. They just don't seem to get it. He's been a head coach, had a little success to start, but lost his team and fans, and everything else, but he's obviously a guy that is intelligent and that they could get on the cheap. So they'd go after him.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they went after Wade Phillips, or a college coach who has had a good year or two like Jim Mora.

The whole way those guys run that organization is completely baffling.

Whisenunt is obviously a good guy and tries hard, and has coached them to more success than they've had in the past many many years, but it was also obvious that his system required good players. He sort of blew it on his own though with how he handled the QB situation. Max Hall isn't even in the league anymore, and is happier that way as he's in line for a head coaching job very soon, as he was just too small to play in the NFL, but the fact that he was the starter for a good chunk of one year and two years later is coaching in college and is still in his mid-20's says a lot about the talent evaluators in AZ when it comes to field players and coaches. Don't get me wrong... I think Haley was the perfect guy to work with Warner... but not to work with any QB. I think Horton is the perfect DC on a team that actually tries and would be a very good head coach, but the incompetence above him really hurts him when it comes promotion time.

Who knows.... the Cards will probably go get Joe Bugel again. Seems like something they'd do. They are just absolutely baffling.

Jac

Reaction score
There's been a lot of hype around Bradley since he was hired. And there's enough fire to that smoke to believe he'll eventually be a head coach. However, from Seattle's standpoint, I see his departure more in line with Belichick losing one of his coordinators. The defensive beat will go on.