Dia del Hombre Doce

NYCoug

Reaction score
Mamablue

So THAT'S what Mama Blue would look like as a Sugar Skull... I honestly don't know what to say. Don't get me wrong, I expected a Seahawks victory, but the game didn't come close to following the script I had already written in my head. See, my script started with two narratives. The Seahawks, coming off a tough road win in overtime would be hard-pressed to match their effort from the Chicago game just a week later. Meanwhile, the Cardinals were coming in having lost 8 in a row and needed a win desperately to keep their once promising season alive. Throw in the fact that the Cardinals defense had given the Seahawks FITZ in the past (see what I did there?!) and John Skelton had often looked like Houdini wiggling out of danger at the last possible second to find open receivers and you could understand why one would be expecting the possibility of a tight game. Well, that's what I get for building narratives. A nice reality check!

No, this ain't your grandaddy's Seahawks. Every time we think we know what these guys are going to do on Sunday because of past experience, they defy us. I'm sure most, myself included, thought the Hawks were done when they were down 13 to the Pats. Instead of an L, what we got was Russell Wilson's coming out party and the Seahawks defense shutting down Tom Brady when they needed it most. Chicago? I never lost faith in Russell Wilson, but after the Hail Mary to Brandon Marshall and ensuing field goal, who couldn't help but feel like they just got a swift kick to the nuts? Apparently Russell Wilson, because the dude came out cold as ice in overtime and nailed down the victory with the help of his friends on offense.

Sure, there's been some tough ones along the way. The road games in 'Zona, St. Louis, Frisco, Motown, and Vice City aka every single loss comes to mind. However, that has to be expected when a team is coming of age as the season progresses. Of course, it's easy to say that now in retrospect. I know I wasn't too happy after any one of those losses. Many an alcoholic beverage was consumed and many a cigarette smoked by yours truly but usually, after moping around the rest of the day, I was able to realize that there was definitely a bright side, an extremely bright side actually. Which probably explains most of the disappointment, as is often the case when you get your hopes up.

However, that's all in the past. Let's live in the moment, shall we? As you probably noticed, today is 12/12/12 or Day of the 12th Man. The Seahawks are going the extra mile to show how much they love and appreciate the 12th Man, so stand up and take a bow folks. I already knew they loved me when they pounded out the Cardinals 58-0, never once stopping to survey the damage and take it easy on our divisional rivals. They knew that most of our hearts and nails needed a break from all the intense, down to the wire action and made sure that this past Sunday wouldn't be another meltdown of our sanity and our livers. To that, I am eternally grateful!

In honor of this day, I'm going to take a look back at my 12 favorite Seahawks moments in no particular order. I'm only going to list the ones I saw with my own two eyes, my apologies for being born in 1987. I know I'm missing a bunch of great ones. This is the price I pay for youth...

#1) Seahawks beat Eagles 42-0 on Monday Night Football
This game makes my top 12 because I was there! Me and a few buddies made the short trip up from NYC to Philly for the game. As the snow started to fall, the Hawks scored on their opening drive on a pass from Hass to Engram. Me and my buddies, all non-Seahawks fans but great supportive friends, went nuts and started to celebrate... Eagles fans were none too pleased. The ensuing 5 minute shower of profanity from the fans in the Upper Deck got the point across that "we weren't in Seattle anymore" and that we should "sit the **** down!" We didn't, of course. There was a dude in a Dilfer dude in front of us who refused to acknowledge us for fear of his own safety. Very well, the Hawks were cruising by halftime and the fans flooded the exits. One Eagles fan even pointed to the heavens and said "I'm sorry you had to watch this Reggie..." His drunken buddy gave him a hug and helped him out of the stadium. It was Reggie White's induction into the Eagles Hall of Fame. Beautiful moment to be a Seahawks fan!

#2) Shaun Alexander rushes for 266 yards in upset over Oakland
The Seahawks didn't get too many primetime games back then, so I remember being PSYCHED for this one! Little did I know that "Alexdancer" was set to have one of the best games of his career and against a much hated rival no less! I used to have a replica Alexander Puma jersey. I wish I could find it. I wouldn't be able to fit in it, but it would be awesome to hang it up in a frame around the house, despite the cheap numbers and letters beginning to peel off. SA went nuts that game for 266 yards and 3 touchdowns and the Raiders went down at Husky Field. I remember watching that game knowing that SA was going to be a Seahawks legend. I wasn't his biggest fan but I respect and appreciate everything he did for the team and the 12th Man!

#3) Shaun Alexander scores 5 TD's in first half against Minnesota
This game kind of had the feel of the Cardinals game from Sunday. A laugher where every single play seemed to go the Seahawks way. The result was never in question. SA was on display for the entire nation to see and again he didn't fail to deliver. Everyone remembers that long TD on a screen pass from Dilfer that ended up going 80 for yet another score. He was bobbin and weavin all across the field with Vikings defenders nowhere in sight. Thanks for the memories, Shaun!

#4) Seahawks beat Panthers 34-14 in NFC Championship Game
We're going to the Super Bowl! What a euphoric feeling... ahh, those were good times. Super Bowl XL can go to hell, but they'll never be able to take away the feeling that we all felt when the clock struck 00:00 and we knew we'd finally made it! Tatupu crushing Nick Goings, Walter Jones blocking Mike Rucker into the endzone, Steve Smith whining and moaning all over The Stadium Formerly Known as Qwest, Seneca Wallace making an over the shoulder catch on Ken Lucas, I could go on and on. This definitely not only ranks as one of the happiest Seahawks moments of my life but of life in general. Euphoria and unbriddled optimism heading into the game that shall not be mentioned. I get the feeling we'll all be feeling that special feeling soon enough.

#5) Seahawks beat Cardinals 21-10 in 2006 Home Opener
This makes the list because, again, I was there! After the atrocity that was XL, I enrolled at Washington State University. One of the perks was my proximity to Seattle. Me and some friends made the trip down from the Palouse to Seattle and got to witness Cortez Kennedy's induction into the Seahawks Ring of Honor as well as the raising of the 2005 NFC Champions banner. It was pretty bittersweet but I'm still glad that I was there. I got to watch the Hawks beat the stuffing out Kurt Warner, another one of my least favorite players of all-time, and cost to a victory at my first game EVER in Seattle. I specifically remember Leroy Hill hitting Warner so hard that I thought he suffered a spinal-cord injury. Good times!

#6) 12/16/00, A Diehard is Born - Seahawks beat Raiders 27-24
This is the game that turned me into the diehard that I am today. You can read more about it in detail right here, http://seafense.blogspot.com/p/a-trip-down-jeremy-lane.html, but the short version of the story is that I was stuck watching the game on a Saturday on CBS. I always had a little bit of love for the Seahawks because of how downtrotten and outcast they were but it wasn't until I watched this massive display of heart and effort that I was ALL IN! The key play was Ricky Watters, still one of my all-time favorite Hawks, scampering down the field on a huge run only to be chased down from behind by Charles Woodson. Woodson forced a fumble and Marquez Pope recovered the ball but slid into the endzone due to the downpour at Husky Field. It was ruled a safety, Gruden went nuts, and the Seahawks ended up winning the game on a TD pass from Jon Kitna (another all-time favorite) to Darrell Jackson. Jackson did the Squirrel dance that he later abandoned for the Sprinkler and my love for the Seahawks was born! I'll never forget this one...

#7) Seahawks Shred Cardinals 58-0
It happened less than a week ago but it instantly makes my top 12 list. This felt less like a professional football game and more like a party that the Seahawks were holding in honor of Dia del Hombre Doce being right around the corner. It was the opposite of Murphy's Law and it couldn't have happened to a nicer team, the Cardinals whom have been a thorn in the Seahawks side for quite some time now. I'll never forget where I was on December 9th, 2012. Hopefully I'll get to see one or two more of those over the course of the rest of my life.

#8) Seahawks beat Jets 28-7 in 2012
Another game that makes the list because I was in attendance. Keep in mind I hadn't been to a Seahawks home game since 2006, or #5 on this list. This time, instead of Kurt Warner getting rocked to sleep it was Mark Sanchez, yet another one of my least favorite players in the NFL right now. The sight of Sanchez getting annihilated by Chris Clemons, sending the ball flying to the sidelines, is forever engrained in my warped, Seahawks-overrun memory. What made things better was that in rained for this one. Add in Golden Tate's TD pass to Sidney Rice and the fact that two of my best friends were there to witness the defeat while cheering on Gang Green and it was a perfect day for this 12.

#9) Russell Wilson answers my prayers, Seahawks beat Packers!
I was at Carlow East for this one, THE Seahawks bar in NYC, and it was NUTS! Needless to say I had a little too much to drink and ended up leading the 12th Man in cheer atop the bar at Carlow after Golden Tate came down with the snag for the win! My cousin was there with me and kept telling me "you guys got this!" before the final play started. This list is comprised of Seahawks moments that gave me "that feeling" afterwards. You know which one I'm talking about. The one where your head hurts from screaming and you feel like your floating atop the world? Yeah, that one. I DEFINITELY had that feeling after this one...

#10) Russell Wilson tops Brady, Seahawks beat Chowduheadz
This was another Carlow East classic. I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before and was in a pretty shitty mood overall. The fact that Brady and co. were shredding the Hawks early and often had me feeling a certain shade of Seahawks blue that only true diehards know of. I thought I knew how the script was going to unfold. I thought I knew it all. I was terribly wrong though. That feeling that I was talking about after the Packers game? That feeling of being invincible? Yeah, that was definitely in supply after Wilson hit Rice in the endzone and the Seahawks D shut the door on the Patriots final drive. The feeling of comradery that was in the air amongst the 12th Man was contagious. That's the game that made me realize to NEVER count this team out.

#11) Brandon Browner Pick Six leads Hawks over Giants
I still have the ticket stub for this one as well. I was getting abused by the Giants "faithful" all game long, with my girlfriend right next to me to boot. I'm a pacifist for sure, but these guys nearly took me over the edge. Thankfully, the nicest lesbian couple in Giants history were in attendance to take my back and get the rest of the Giants fans off of mine. Still, the feeling of vindication and glory I felt when watching Brandon Browner run towards the endzone for the game-sealing TD was straight magical. I just remember screaming "Wooo!" at the top of my lungs for nearly 5 minutes, while my girlfriend sat and questioned why she ever had faith in me as a man. I kid, but that feeling has only been topped twice in my life. Once was when I first held my baby sister for the first time. The other, was...

#12) BeastQuake
Need I say more? This is the moment that validated my existance as a Seahawks fan, not that I needed it. For weeks I was getting abused by countless friends over the Seahawks being a "disgrace" for "backing into the playoffs" at 7-9. People questioned whether the league should do away with automatic playoff berths for division winners for christ's sake. Remember that? All of that was washed away when the Seahawks upset the defending Super Bowl Champs! There were so many great memories from that game but obviously the most lasting one was watching Marshawn Lynch drag the entire Saints organization into the endzone to seal the deal. There were literally hundreds of people at Carlow East and girls were "stagediving" off of the bar and into the SEA of humanity below them. The feeling from that night has not been duplicated since. I'm hopeful that it will be in the near future...

Hopefully, I'll be making the trip to Toronto this weekend. As a diehard fan of not only the Seahawks but the Blue Jays as well, this game represents sort of a "sports mecca" for me, if you will. The Hawks playing a game on my favorite baseball team's field?!? Unreal! It'll be a grueling 10 1/2 bus ride to Toronto and then a 10 1/2 hour bus ride back to NYC but it'd be well worth it. Who knows, maybe I'll have a new great memory that can unseat one of the 12 I listed above.

This is YOUR day Hawks fans. I don't love many things more than hearing other 12's great Seahawks stories so please add some to this thread! We'll have many more to come in the near future but for today, just remember how great it is to be a part of the 12th Man!

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Nice choices! I approve.

I would add the game vs the Giants where their PK missed 3 FG's and Shockey got caught mugging it up on camera during one attempt then pantomimed 'WTF' when he missed.

kearly

Reaction score
Beastquake, 2005 Giants, Romo-fingers would be how my list would kick off.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":ml80itel said:
Nice choices! I approve.

I would add the game vs the Giants where their PK missed 3 FG's and Shockey got caught mugging it up on camera during one attempt then pantomimed 'WTF' when he missed.

Yes that Giants win was quite possibly the best game I've ever seen. The ending was spectacular. The Bears win of a few weeks ago ranks on my list.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd go 2005 Giants game, since I was there.

That game was so loud, my elderly father has still vowed to not leave his couch to watch a Seahawks game.

My girlfriend (now wife) bought me the tickets for my birthday. Pretty much when I figured out when she was a keeper.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Born in 87 myself. Born and raised a Seahawks fan by my dad. First Hawk game was in 95 I believe, then Phoenix playing us in the Dome. Rick Mirer was the starting QB lol.

How could you forget the Romo botched snap game? And one of my favorite Hawks game, though it was a loss, was the 2003 WC game @ GB. The infamous "We want the ball and we're going to score." Such a great, great game. Nobody gave us a chance and we fought like hell almost coming up on top.

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
You guys are right! How the F did I forget Shockey celebrating on the sidelines as Feely's kicked miss?! Seriously, that's probably got a spot on my top 12 list but I forgot about it, being honest. I came up with this list right as I left for work, so there had to be something I missed, and this was it. As was the Romo game. Don't know how I missed that one either. I watched it with a friend who is a Cowboys fan and that was one of my favorite Seahawks moments EVER. As was Babs' INT and the ensuing Josh Brown field goal for the win in '05. Another great 'Hawks moment.

Thanks for reminding me of even better times! I definitely got owned on this one haha

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
Looking back on it, I'm not sure if the '05 Giants game and the Romo game make it over the '06 Cards game and the '12 Jets game for me. All four games are so personal to me and I'm not sure which would make it on a list for me. Only thing is I was there for the Cards/Jets games and got to witness them in person. Didn't get that opportunity with the Giants/Romo games. So tough, don't know which way to go on this one. Great suggestions regardless though guys...

Edit: 05 Giants game/Romo fumble playoff game are definitely better moments for me then the Alexander Vikings game (after watching the highlights posted, they did the opposite for me, notice how tame the crowd is and how the team chemistry is seriously lacking from this year's team, just my opinion), also the Romo fumble definitely takes the place over the Jets home game from this season. Despite the fact that I was there, I'll definitely remember the Romo fumbled snap more til the day I die. How bout the 12th Man comin through and knocking my head straight? Great stuff!

rideaducati

Reaction score
I remember a Seahawk game from 1988. Seahawks and Broncos in Seattle. Seattle scored 6 touchdowns on their first 6 possessions. I remember it was a night game because I was attending a Christmas party and was hiding out near the T.V.

JonRud

Reaction score
Awesome post. Brought back a lot of great memories. I was at Carlow for Beastquake too and I have never seen anything like that outside of CenturyLink. I was so drunk on PBR and Hawkikaze shots by the end I barely remember 'The Play'. It was like a blur, and then I remember diving into the sea of humanity from my barstool and losing my hat in the crowd. It was unreal.

Another game I loved - The playoff win over the Redskins in Jan 2008. I was up in the Hawks Nest and when Trufant returned an INT for a TD the place went ballistic. I think I tackled two girls sitting behind me.

themunn

Reaction score
I only started watching football properly from the 2004 season (though I'd watched the previous 3 superbowls), so my experience of games is limited (even moreso since, as a UK resident, primetime games are often difficult to watch to the end), with that in mind - my favourite games are:

The games that need no explanation - NFC Championship game, Saints playoff win, Giants 2005, Eagles 2005

Giants 2006 - this one I found much more satisfying than in 2005, they complained after that game about "fake" crowd noise, and the attitude was "yeah they won, but we missed 3 FGs and were the better team". So how better to silence them than take a 42-3 lead into the 4th Q? Yeah the final score was 42-30, but that doesn't come close to reflecting how much we dominated them in that game

EVERY SINGLE WIN against the Rams after losing to them 3 times in 2004. Particularly the 2010 win to take the division.

The win against the Ravens last year, it was a sign that this team had turned a corner and was ready to start beating the big-boy opposition at their own games

And 3 from this year - The Patriots, Bears and our record setting performance on Sunday. Hopefully there will be a few more on the list soon.

olyfan63

Reaction score
NYCoug":s71nvwc5 said:
You guys are right! How the F did I forget Shockey celebrating on the sidelines as Feely's kicked miss?! Seriously, that's probably got a spot on my top 12 list but I forgot about it, being honest. I came up with this list right as I left for work, so there had to be something I missed, and this was it. As was the Romo game. Don't know how I missed that one either. I watched it with a friend who is a Cowboys fan and that was one of my favorite Seahawks moments EVER. As was Babs' INT and the ensuing Josh Brown field goal for the win in '05. Another great 'Hawks moment.

Thanks for reminding me of even better times! I definitely got owned on this one haha

Just wanted to add, it wasn't just Romo's fumble in the playoff game that should be remembered so much. The amazing, huge play there was Jordan Babineaux's diving tackle of Romo, not just short of the end zone, but short of the first down! I think Romo wound up less than a foot short of the first down, when it looked for all the world like he would easily score. Watch the video, and Babs has to DIVE from behind, and barely trip up Romo. If Romo would have put the ball forward as he fell, easy first down, Cowboys run the clock down, and win on a field goal. Romo just had no clue Babineaux was even in the play.

Dismas

Reaction score
2 games mentioned in this thread . .

The Broncos at Seahawks in 88 . . first time I ever saw the Seahawks ( tho just on tv) I was in orlando florida, going to school in the navy, and one of my buds was from seattle, went to his house for dinner that night, and fell in love wit the hawks watching Largent be . . Largent.

The oakland game in 2000, in Oakland . . I was at that one! my then girlfriend, now wife, bought tix for that game fopr my birthday, we drove over the hill sarurday and went to the game. Was my first live nfl game. We were near the field, on the seahawks side, and the fas were no problem at all, even after Seattle got the W

Lots of good memories in those others you listed as well!