Russell Wilson, Seahawks are Super Bowl contenders - SI.com

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• Got it. Cool. But is our window open?
    Last edited by jamsomatic on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
    'The bevell is in the details.' -BFS
    jamsomatic
    NET Starter

• Great read. Thank you.
    San Fransisco. Still partying like it's 1981.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Wow. Interesting article.

Glad to see that we're getting praise from the national media but its weird. It almost has me worried.
    tubbs51
    NET Starter

• So I think I've figured it out.... When Wilson leads our team to three more hard fought victories to end the season, earning us the #2 seed and first round bye, then he will have tipped the scales in the OROY voting.

I like it!
    debevemos
    NET Rookie

• jamsomatic wrote:Got it. Cool. But is our window open?

Yes and we don't even have to wait till next year!
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Anyone scared to death of articles like this?

Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy reading the praise. And everything he writes is logical.

It's just... if we go to Toronto and lose to the Bills this weekend, you'll probably read an article saying the Seahawks blew it... that they're frauds. That they had a chance to create a NFC West 'title game' almost next week and couldn't get it done. So while praise is great... I just we're reading the same kind of things with the NFC West title already locked up.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Link isn't working for me.
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I don't like it. I like flying under the radar and just hearing that they have an outside chance. Media spins everything. We know they have a shot and all and can play with any team anywhere while competing, but there are a short list of teams that now have a Seahawk loss on their record that would LOVE to get it back.

Dallas
    GB
    NE
    Chicago

This team just needs to go to Buffalo and take care of business.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Anyone scared to death of articles like this?

YES!!!!

theENGLISHseahawk wrote:It's just... if we go to Toronto and lose to the Bills this weekend, you'll probably read an article saying the Seahawks blew it... that they're frauds. .

We have a very important game next week (49ers), we are going on the road, the Bills have been great some weeks and horrific others, Spiller will be a huge issue for our defense............

This game scares the crap out of me and the ballon right now is so incredibly inflated and if we loose everyone will ridicule those in the media that got on the Seahawks bandwagon.

With that said even with a loss I think we come home and go 2-0 and then make AT LEAST a dent in the playoffs getting us the respect back and set up for next year.........
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• tubbs51 wrote:Wow. Interesting article.

Glad to see that we're getting praise from the national media but its weird. It almost has me worried.

It should have you worried..THIS is one of the signs of the apocalypse :laugh:

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy reading the praise. And everything he writes is logical.

It's just... if we go to Toronto and lose to the Bills this weekend, you'll probably read an article saying the Seahawks blew it... that they're frauds. That they had a chance to create a NFC West 'title game' almost next week and couldn't get it done. So while praise is great... I just we're reading the same kind of things with the NFC West title already locked up.

I hate articles like this.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Elite teams get lambasted for losing to anybody other than another one of the few elite teams out there, and this happens every year to every elite team, almost always. Why are you guys scared of it? Give me a break. We'll get spoken of poorly just like the Pats did when they lost to the Cardinals.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Gotta love it and I feel very confident in DangeRuss.
    Russ will be ready for Buffalo. I hope the rest of the team is.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• These types of articles don't scare me in the least. Same thing with Bulletin Board Material type stuff. Think its all overblown. Players play hard every game.

What scares me is a mantra inside the heads of our players that they cant win on the road which may affect their road play. Hopefully the Bears game helped cure that.

I'll take all the hype we can get. Remember we still have guys like Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman on our squad. You know, guys who will have chips on their shoulders their whole career. A little love isnt going to set them back.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• loafoftatupu wrote:I don't like it. I like flying under the radar and just hearing that they have an outside chance. Media spins everything. We know they have a shot and all and can play with any team anywhere while competing, but there are a short list of teams that now have a Seahawk loss on their record that would LOVE to get it back.

Dallas
    GB
    NE
    Chicago

The problem is, you can't play the way Wilson and the Seahawks have been playing this season and stay under the radar. Sure, if all bloggers, journalists, etc. just looked at the record, then it would be easy for them to dismiss us as a slightly above average team. But when they actually WATCH the games and see what the Seahawks are doing, they see a whole new thing.

Still, I think that this is where the coaches will earn their pay. Sure, it's possible that the team starts feeling a little too good about itself after the Chicago and Arizona games and decides it can coast in Buffalo, but it's on the coaches to keep the guys hungry and focused. I imagine there's going to be a lot of repetition of something Carroll said after the Arizona game... "We haven't done anything yet." And he'll hammer that home.

Be confident, trust yourselves and your teammates, but remember... We don't have a playoff spot locked up. We don't have the division title. We don't even have a winning season guaranteed. The only way to start accomplishing those goals is to start with the Bills.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:I don't like it. I like flying under the radar and just hearing that they have an outside chance. Media spins everything. We know they have a shot and all and can play with any team anywhere while competing, but there are a short list of teams that now have a Seahawk loss on their record that would LOVE to get it back.

Dallas
    GB
    NE
    Chicago

The problem is, you can't play the way Wilson and the Seahawks have been playing this season and stay under the radar. Sure, if all bloggers, journalists, etc. just looked at the record, then it would be easy for them to dismiss us as a slightly above average team. But when they actually WATCH the games and see what the Seahawks are doing, they see a whole new thing.

Still, I think that this is where the coaches will earn their pay. Sure, it's possible that the team starts feeling a little too good about itself after the Chicago and Arizona games and decides it can coast in Buffalo, but it's on the coaches to keep the guys hungry and focused. I imagine there's going to be a lot of repetition of something Carroll said after the Arizona game... "We haven't done anything yet." And he'll hammer that home.

Be confident, trust yourselves and your teammates, but remember... We don't have a playoff spot locked up. We don't have the division title. We don't even have a winning season guaranteed. The only way to start accomplishing those goals is to start with the Bills.

Agreed. In fact, if I'm the coaching staff, the only score I have on the board this week is 17 - 14 Miami. A good reminder or two of what happens when you overlook a mediocre opponent is a good thing.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• volsunghawk wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:I don't like it. I like flying under the radar and just hearing that they have an outside chance. Media spins everything. We know they have a shot and all and can play with any team anywhere while competing, but there are a short list of teams that now have a Seahawk loss on their record that would LOVE to get it back.

Dallas
    GB
    NE
    Chicago

Yep Caroll followed up a convincing postgame speech with "well now take two days off and we'll see you guys on Wednesday."

Russell Wilson was like "Pssst. Meet me in the film room tomorrow or you won't see a pass from me next week."
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• The national media is starting to OVER-hype the team. The Chicago win was good, but we may have been a coin flip away from losing that one, and we are only a few weeks off a loss to Miami. None of our remaining games are gimmies.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

• salamander wrote:The national media is starting to OVER-hype the team. The Chicago win was good, but we may have been a coin flip away from losing that one, and we are only a few weeks off a loss to Miami. None of our remaining games are gimmies.

We were a coin flip from losing the game? Sure.....but we were also a play here and a play there from being 7-0 on the road at this point.

Should've, could've, would've game goes both ways.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• I'm not saying we don't have a chance, but we're getting a ton of hype based off a throwaway game. The Cardinals are beyond bad. The Chicago game was good, but our defense blew a 3 point lead with 20 seconds left. That was after giving away the game to Miami.
    salamander
    NET Rookie

• salamander wrote:The Cardinals are beyond bad.

The Cardinals offense is beyond bad. Their defense and special teams are not. Hell, their defense is ranked 6th AFTER the whooping we gave them. 58 points against the Cardinals is more impressive than if we had put 58 up against a good number of other poor teams in the league. If it makes you feel good to think any other team in the league could have just put a 58-0 on the Cardinals this week, then at least cop to it.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Lol some of you bastards are freakin bipolar and it cracks me up.

"Omg, we totally get disrespected by the national media. They haven't claimed Russell Wilson will save us all from the Mayan apacolypse, and Marshawn Lynch is the best back ever"

Then we get some good pub (which Cowherd has been gushing about us for weeks....after we destroyed the Tards he's driving the freaking team bus) and it's like "Oh Noooooo, I'm skairt! Now we're not disrepected"

hahahahah I seriously love it.

The media is putting pressure on us that the team should already be feeling. Flushing that Miami game down the toilet when we had it now puts major pressure on us to win out. Thing is, we'll probably make the playoffs with a BUF and SF loss, since BUF is AFC and we'll most likely own conference tie breakers. But now the 2nd seed is squarely in sight, and winning all the games means a ton. I'm seriously pumped up about this....my heart has been racing through every play of every game (except AZ) since the start of the Miami game. I knew how important this was becoming and I'm on pins and needles, but it's great. Much better than none of these games being meaningless since we're at 5 wins.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Hawks46 wrote:Lol some of you bastards are freakin bipolar and it cracks me up.

"Omg, we totally get disrespected by the national media. They haven't claimed Russell Wilson will save us all from the Mayan apacolypse, and Marshawn Lynch is the best back ever"

Then we get some good pub (which Cowherd has been gushing about us for weeks....after we destroyed the Tards he's driving the freaking team bus) and it's like "Oh Noooooo, I'm skairt! Now we're not disrepected"

hahahahah I seriously love it.

The media is putting pressure on us that the team should already be feeling. Flushing that Miami game down the toilet when we had it now puts major pressure on us to win out. Thing is, we'll probably make the playoffs with a BUF and SF loss, since BUF is AFC and we'll most likely own conference tie breakers. But now the 2nd seed is squarely in sight, and winning all the games means a ton. I'm seriously pumped up about this....my heart has been racing through every play of every game (except AZ) since the start of the Miami game. I knew how important this was becoming and I'm on pins and needles, but it's great. Much better than none of these games being meaningless since we're at 5 wins.

QFT
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• If we can step up and win at Buffalo and against SF and the Rams, we are legitimate Super Bowl contenders. If we get into the playoffs any other way, I'll harbor my doubts. Good teams get into the playoffs. Great teams start to dominate and take the game from everyone else at the end of the season. We are hyped higher than we're used to seeing all of the sudden. These last three games will determine if it's over-hype or merited.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I totally agree Sailor. If we sneak into the playoffs, or need help getting in from other teams, I'm not optimistic about making a deep run.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Really good article, but man.......lets just let the season play out before we start with the are we or aren't we Superbowl contenders.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Pete always says, there are things you control and things that you don't control. Don't worry about things that you can't control, do what you need to do and win the game, that is the only thing you can control. I like that philosophy. Seahawks are playing every game as a playoff game, so I don't see them letting the gas off on any of these games from here on, that's my belief.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

• This is one of the best articles I have read in a long time. Straight forward, clear, honest language. I especially liked this:

"Blame the geographic isolation, East Coast bias, aquamarine and sea green uniforms or the organization's own general lack of success.

One Super Bowl appearance and just five 10-win campaigns in 36 seasons will leave a team something of an after-thought in a crowded league that craves big names and glitzy headlines.

But the reality is that if the Seahawks played in a larger market, and if Wilson were the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, they might be the talk of the football world this week."

I get frustrated when our players get overlooked for awards because of the east coast bias, but I fully understand the reasoning of why the Seahawks as a team are overlooked. They/We just haven't earned it yet. But with John Schneider, Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson at the helm of a group of top-notch players, this team is going places.

There might be a stumble here or there, growing pains, but it won't lead to further struggles. Unlike with past teams, this team takes adversity and stands it on it's head. I have never felt this confident about the Seahawks except for brief periods of the Chuck Knox/Dave Kreig era and the 2005 season. This team is better than any of those teams, and I believe it is the best team in Seahawks history, mainly because of it's ability to overcome adversity.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• just don't like him saying Hawks should go to toronto and win like its a cinch, its NOT, they like starting the circus early though, as a player I wouldn't read anything these guys write... eat, sleep, and drink football, save the gossip for the girls..
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

• A lot of people around here act like a bunch of pussified ninnies.

We ARE going to go to Toronto and kick the Bills' asses.

Got it?
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:A lot of people around here act like a bunch of pussified ninnies.

Got it?

Said the same thing about Miami.

We will no doubt kick their asses. Doesn't mean we'll win though. We beat the living hell out of Carolina and they still almost beat us.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Steve2222 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:A lot of people around here act like a bunch of pussified ninnies.

Got it?

Said the same thing about Miami.

We will no doubt kick their asses. Doesn't mean we'll win though. We beat the living hell out of Carolina and they still almost beat us.

So you are saying you are in the pn crowd?
    Maybe you said we would win in Miami and we should have but I didn't. I am saying we win in Toronto. Got it?
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:A lot of people around here act like a bunch of pussified ninnies.

Got it?

I don't know about ninnies, but getting pussified is by far one of my favorite things to do!
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    Veilside
    NET Veteran

It's just... if we go to Toronto and lose to the Bills this weekend, you'll probably read an article saying the Seahawks blew it... that they're frauds.

And the article will be correct. If Seattle can't go on the road with all their talent, keep their focus after a successful game, and defeat one of the league's worst teams, then they're not legitimate playoff contenders. It still just comes down to this team proving its consistency week after week.

I'm optimistic about this team's trajectory, but they still have a lot of fans on edge after the Miami loss and I'm sure they understand why.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information