WEEK 15 GAMES THAT MATTER

Cartire

Reaction score
Wow, what a week last week. Going into the half of all the morning games, just about everything was going our way. Then all of a sudden, Washington decides to do their thing. Dallas does a something. It all rolled down hill. Luckily, the Eagles out of nowhere took TB out of the fight. So at least thats one less dog to worry about.
On a note, alot of you guys got what you wanted. The Rams beat the Bills. Their draft order is now worse. Hopefully they dont win out and we dont lose one more before week 17.

Anyway, onto the WEEK 15 GAMES THAT MATTER. *as usual, these will only cover games that can have a direct impact on Seattle

VIKINGS (7-6) vs RAMS (6-6-1)

Lets Go: VIKINGS
Why: Once again, I sit in a windowless room with no light coming in. Many of you wont back this one up. So what are my reasoning's? In reality, with the vikings, we have to lose two games and the Vikings win 2 games for them to overtake us. Technically, we have to lose 1 game out of the next two and Rams win out for them to take over. I dont know if you guys know who Jeff Fisher is, but if it came down to a week 17 matchup for the Wild Card, I would be scared. Jeff has already shown he can out coach Harbaugh. Their team is already steamed that they let Charlie Whitehurst take the crown 2 years ago. This game has a horrible smell on it. Do not want to have it come down to this.

BUCCANEERS (6-7) vs SAINTS (5-8)

Lets Go: SAINTS
Why? Neither of these teams should affect us any longer unless we collapse, and if we collapse, we have other teams to worry about more. For the time being though, TB should be held in their place.

GIANTS (8-5) vs FALCONS (11-2)

Lets Go: FALCONS
Why? I thought about this one for awhile. While technically the first seed is still available to us, it comes at a high risk. The Falcons would have to lose out. We would have to win out. SF has to lose this week. Giants have to lose at least one more after this game. And the packers have to lose one more as well. So whats the high risk? GB doesnt lose out and takes over the #1 seed and now can host the entire playoffs from GB. I hate them so much. The last thing I want to see is GB secure home field advantage throughout the playoffs. For the time being, I assume Atlanta will take at least one more game, so lets get the Giants knocked down one more and help us secure a better seeding if we take the division.

STEELERS (7-6) vs COWBOYS (7-6)

Lets Go: STEELERS
Why? Uhg, it hurts to say that, as I never want them to win ever again, this time would be beneficial to us. As we technically have a 2 game lead over Dallas because of head 2 head tiebreaker, why even give them that chance. Plus, seeing Romo cry again could be fun.

49ERS (9-3-1) vs PATRIOTS (10-3)

Lets Go: PATRIOTS
Why? Once again, this is a no brainer. And if the stars were ever to align, this game would be in the linear path of those planets. The Patriots should handle SF easily. I think we can all agree that out of all the non-seahawks games next week, everyone will be watching this one.

PACKERS (9-4) vs BEARS (8-5)
Lets Go: BEARS
Why? Currently we hold tie breakers over both the Packers and the Bears. Both these teams are most likely going to win their next two game after this. (Packers vs TN,MN)(Bears vs AZ,DT). Both these teams should handle that business. But this game could drop GB back to our level. And again, us winning out would guarantee us a spot over one of them, and if SF loses this week, it guarantees us the #2 seed. Of course, GB has to lose this game first.

REDSKINS (7-6) vs BROWNS (5-8)
Lets Go: BROWNS
Why? Redskins have a better conference record then us at the moment. A tie between them would mean a loss of position for us. Cleveland is on a role right now, so its not hard to fathom the skins dropping this one on the road. And the questions of RGIII's injury could mean an inexpearianced cousins starts.

All other games are AFC matches or teams out of the race.
Feel free to discuss and disagree.

Rainger

Reaction score
I agree with all and will be chearing for all the teams you said EXCEPT I will not cheer for the StEAlers. Dallas cant beat us out we have the tie break and a game in hand. StEAlers should always lose every game they play forever.

mikeak

Reaction score
I have "somewhat" of a hypotetical question :D

If SF played another draw (yes extremely likely.....)

Would that give them a 9-3-2 record and basically be identical to a loss. or would it be counted as two half points making a full and go to 10-3

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
mikeak":2udnjmpj said:

Would that give them a 9-3-2 record and basically be identical to a loss. or would it be counted as two half points making a full and go to 10-3

i have no idea, but i would think they would negate each other.

mikeak

Reaction score
thanks preston -- kind of funny how 6 ties really doesn't give a team any more "advantage" than 1 tie does. Unlike hockey (pre penalty era) and soccer where ties would give you 1 pt and a win 2 /3 pts but the ties would add up. I realize the game isn't made for ties but since they can happen......

Cartire - not sure why two ties would negate eachother but from the seahawks perspective that would be great...

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
mikeak":2h1h5kit said:
thanks preston -- kind of funny how 6 ties really doesn't give a team any more "advantage" than 1 tie does. Unlike hockey (pre penalty era) and soccer where ties would give you 1 pt and a win 2 /3 pts but the ties would add up. I realize the game isn't made for ties but since they can happen......

Cartire - not sure why two ties would negate eachother but from the seahawks perspective that would be great...

Yea, i guess it doesnt matter. It would be the same regardless is more of what I was thinking.

rideaducati

Reaction score
We might want the Falcons to lose out and the Giants to lose next week when they play the Ravens. If all things play out in the other games, Seattle COULD still get the #1 seed. The mediots would go nuts.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I think I agree with all of your conclusions as to who to root for, tho I too am wavering on the Giants-Falcons matchup.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
The thing about the Bears-Packers is...that game is played early and could impact us if we win/lose to the Bills.

If we beat the Bills, we want the Bears to win and thus Packers and Bears are both 9-5 with us and we have tie-breaker over both.
However, if we LOSE to the Bills, wouldn't we want the Bears to lose so they stay tied with us for the wild-card?

BlueTalons

Reaction score
I don't see the Redskins vs Browns on there...honestly that is the only early game I care about (to see the Redskins lose.) The rest are kind of toss ups as a loss by us to the Bills does not hurt us too much UNLESS the Redskins WIN...I just want to see them have one more loss.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
mikeak":dsq4nqgv said:

No, not quite.

It would take them to an equivalent record of 10-4. They would get 0.5 *win* for each tie, giving them the equivalent of 10 wins... but they have played 14 games at that point so you would have to divide the 10 wins by 14 total games to get a 0.714 winning %, which is what the NFL uses to determine Division winners and Wild Card winners.

Taking this potentially out to the end of the regular season...

If SF finishes 10-4-2 (going 1-1-1 in their last three games) and the Hawks finish 11-5 (thereby winning out), the teams would finish with identical winning %s, at 0.6875.

You would then have to start applying the tiebreaker rules, first for the Division Championship. First tiebreaker is Head-to-Head, which would be a wash assuming their one remaining loss would be to us.

The 2nd divisional tiebreaker is record within the division.

Assuming that SF ties Arizona in their last game of the year, their record within the division would be 2-2-2, which yields a 0.500 winning %. And Seattle would finish 3-3 and have the identical winning % with the division.

On to the next divisional tiebreaker... Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games (games played against the same opponents)... where it gets a bit hairy.

Common opponents for the 49-ers and Hawks outside of the NCFW are GB, Det, Minn, NYJ, Buff, Chicago, Miami and NE.

For SF to get to 10-4-2 and for Seattle to get to 11-5, and to also have the same winning % within the division, SF would have to lose to the Hawks and tie the Cardinals in Week 17... which means that they must necessarily beat NE next Sunday.

For the common eight opponents, Seattle would go 6-2 in this scenario... and SF would go 7-1, thereby winning the Division... unfortunately. :smilie=angry016.gif: :49ersmall:

Hope that all makes sense.

My head hurts... no mas, por favor. :thirishdrinkers:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
preston547":7b1r2gp1 said:
No it would be 9-3-2 so as long as we have 10 wins we are ahead of them. Highly unlikely though.
Not true.

9-3-2 is equivalent to a 10-4 record. You get 0.5 *win* for each tie but you have to divide the total wins by the total number of games played.

The Hawks are currently at 8-5, so there is NO WAY for the Hawks to get to 10-4. Best we could get to after the next game is 9-5.

When ties are involved, it's no longer the number of Wins that determines the standings. You have to calculate the Winning Percentage of both teams.

Comprende?

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
BlueTalons":2pmbwjiz said:
I don't see the Redskins vs Browns on there...honestly that is the only early game I care about (to see the Redskins lose.) The rest are kind of toss ups as a loss by us to the Bills does not hurt us too much UNLESS the Redskins WIN...I just want to see them have one more loss.

Good call, that was the first game i looked up and for some reason didnt write anything down. Edited with it.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1dhiy9xq said:
I think I agree with all of your conclusions as to who to root for, tho I too am wavering on the Giants-Falcons matchup.

I think it's a no brainer. It's not likely the Falcons will lose out, so I say knock the Giants down. Plus, I suspect the Falcons are going to get taken in the playoffs - very possibly in their first game, which opens up homefield for the Championship game.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
I don't care about catching the packers. Knock the Bears out from under us completely so even if one of these teams below catch up we are ok. Call me a pessimist, but one of these teams chasing us will win out.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
Thanks for doing this. I want the Giants out of there. Them at 9-7/10-6 is still scary because they can catch fire. Go Falcons!

Seaman

Reaction score
I'm under the impression that a dallas win might not be such a bad thing... Don't we want them to overtake the giants since we beat the boys head to head... If we are looking for that #1 seed, I'm pretty sure the cowboys need this game to keep pace with the giants.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
Seaman":277rzju8 said:
I'm under the impression that a dallas win might not be such a bad thing... Don't we want them to overtake the giants since we beat the boys head to head... If we are looking for that #1 seed, I'm pretty sure the cowboys need this game to keep pace with the giants.

From a schedule point of view, the skins have a better chance of over taking the Giants. The #1 seed is Atlantas if they win one more game. We dont need dallas to over take the Giants at all. In fact, all that will do is place two team around us if by some chance we dont take the division. Giants could take a wild card spot and hold a conference tie breaker over us. Dallas moving into the division spot wouldnt help us at all. I would say no, Dallas winning has no positive affect for the seahawks.