Bills RB Fred Jackson ruled out

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Spiller has become a dangerous guy this year, especially with more carries. Hope the Hawks D is up for the challenge. It helps to know this early in the week.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, when I heard that Jackson was hurt, it didn't strike me as particularly positive for us. They were pretty solid in the RB department. Lucky for us, they aren't that great in other departments and that's where we pull out the victory :)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It was kind of an ugly injury.
Spiller is dangerous in a Reggie Bush kind of way. He absolutely does not care to run inside, but he is electric when he breaks them outside. Against the Rams I don't think I saw him commit to one inside run. Bills fans complain about how little Chan Gailey uses Spiller, but Spiller won't run tough. With Jackson they lost any inside running presence.

This is a huge loss for their run game, and a huge loss for their play action.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Jackson is a tough back that would have given us problems at full health. This is a pretty big blow to the Bills.

Spiller though is one tough SOB as well. So not out of the woods yet.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yeah not really a win win for us. Spiller can more than hold his own. Jackson might be a little more dependable, but Spiller can be dangerous.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":uokw67x2 said:
Yeah not really a win win for us. Spiller can more than hold his own. Jackson might be a little more dependable, but Spiller can be dangerous.
Spiller is a home run threat, but there are good reasons the Bills don't give him more work when he is rushing for more than 6 a carry. This is a huge loss for the Bills.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
The Bills fans were beside themselves because Spiller was not being used enough. Unfortunately, I think this means he will be used a lot against the Hawks

Steve2222

Reaction score
I hear Spiller doesnt get much playing time because hes awful in pass protection and has endurance issues. I think Tashard Choice will get the bulk of the carries.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Steve2222":18t4tsn3 said:
I hear Spiller doesnt get much playing time because hes awful in pass protection and has endurance issues. I think Tashard Choice will get the bulk of the carries.
I think the "endurance issues" are over blown, his pass pro stinks and he doesn't like to follow his blocks, but bounces everything outside. But when he gets outside he is damned fast.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1jh6lr0u said:
It was kind of an ugly injury.
Spiller is dangerous in a Reggie Bush kind of way. He absolutely does not care to run inside, but he is electric when he breaks them outside. Against the Rams I don't think I saw him commit to one inside run. Bills fans complain about how little Chan Gailey uses Spiller, but Spiller won't run tough. With Jackson they lost any inside running presence.

This is a huge loss for their run game, and a huge loss for their play action.

Spiller has had his best games this year when Jackson has been out. He is one of those backs that excels when he gets more carries. From a gameplanning standpoint, this hurts the Bills, but seeing Spiller play better this year with Jackson out kind of makes me nervous. Especially since Reggie Bush did well against us a few weeks ago.

sturg78

Reaction score
This is good for us, there is a reason Fred Jackson is their starter. The guy is a beast. He made Lynch expendable in Buffalo (or in their minds he did) and put CJ Spiller on the bench despite the dudes speed. Spiller always bounces outside so as long as you keep contain we should be fine. Also, Jackson would give them the "tackle but fall forward for 3 yards" crap I hate seeing where CJ gets hit and goes down.

Disclaimer: I have seen only a few Buf games the last few years, so my info may be outdated.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Scottemojo":6t4bmeqb said:
Steve2222":6t4bmeqb said:
I think the "endurance issues" are over blown, his pass pro stinks and he doesn't like to follow his blocks, but bounces everything outside. But when he gets outside he is damned fast.

I have watched every Bills game for years, as my wife is a big fan, grew up in the area, etc etc. Spiller isn't horrible at pass protection, but he isn't great. Definitely no Fred Jackson. He isn't the most willing inside running, but he can be absolutely deadly on inside-out runs. Spillers; biggest problem is that Chan Gailey is calling the plays, he is criminally under utilized, similar to Ray Rice and McCoy. Like both of those guys, the offense doesn't flow through Spiller, so he can disappear for stretches of the game -- even if he is in every snap. A lot of the players have shown frustration over the play calling, going so far as to say that Fitzpatrick should be able to call his own plays on the field. When Spiller is given the chance to get into a rhythm, he shines. He is easily the best player on Buffalo's offense, and should be a big focus of Seattle's game planning.

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
i echo what hawkftw is saying having listened to buffalo radio being in toronto. It really all is just frustration about the utilization of spiller. Eric Dickerson and some hall a famers will talk to the media only when talking about spiller. They say he is super special and don't understand buffalo and the way they use him. Guy is stupid scarry fast. I really wanted him in the draft but its over now.

I really feel there coach is there version of jimmy mora. But only they didn't let him go after one year. Hell the colledge fans of the last team he coached had a website fire chan. Ralph wilson is the new al davis just on his death bed. On that offense tho only spiller and maybe stevie johnson scarry me this week.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
hawkcrazzed":1655a80d said:
i echo what hawkftw is saying having listened to buffalo radio being in toronto. It really all is just frustration about the utilization of spiller. Eric Dickerson and some hall a famers will talk to the media only when talking about spiller. They say he is super special and don't understand buffalo and the way they use him. Guy is stupid scarry fast. I really wanted him in the draft but its over now.

I really feel there coach is there version of jimmy mora. But only they didn't let him go after one year. Hell the colledge fans of the last team he coached had a website fire chan. Ralph wilson is the new al davis just on his death bed. On that offense tho only spiller and maybe stevie johnson scarry me this week.

Stevie Johnson is good, but he isn't someone who will single handedly beat you. He has good hands, good route runner, but doesn't have break away speed or crazy ball skills. Johnson is more of a steady presence, someone who can rack up catches and yards when Buffalo has a good flow going on offense. Spiller is the type of player than can turn the field around in an instant, which is why he is the only player that truly scares me on Buffalo. Like you said stupid scary fast, and he can do it running or receiving. I hope Seattle makes this more than a one score game early, and doesn't give Spiller a chance to change the game like that.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
So let's blitz the hell out of them and shut down the pass - make them run a lot. Grind Spiller into the ground. :)

kearly

Reaction score
I'm worried about Spiller. Scott's points aside, Pete's Seahawks defense has seemingly always struggled against quick RBs.

That's about the only thing about Buffalo that scares me though.

HawkWow

Reaction score
IMO, our troubles vs the run have been between the tackles. Spiller needs a gash in that zone or wants to kick it out. IMO, that plays to our strengths. Spiller, like every confident back will tell you he gets stronger the more carries he gets. I've been watching Spiller since his Clemson days and want to resist calling him a scat back, but can say with confidence, his best games are those where the D didn't end his runs with punishment. He don't get stronger when he is exposed to contact and has even run tentatively after. We just need to knock him on his ass with authority and you will see him weaken as this game goes deep. I predict he won't get 100 in Toronto.

Further, his pass protection is lacking. I believe it will end up a closer game than we'd like to see but Fitz will have to put the ball up to keep it close and only 3 things can happen when you are forced into passing and 2 of those things are bad. I am cautiously optimistic in this one and think we escape with a 3 pt win.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Having Jackson out does help us, but......quicker backs always seem to give us trouble for some reason. Our gap control and outside contain is gonna have to be top notch for us come this Sunday as Spiller loves to cut it back.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Not excited about watching Spiller this weekend. That guy is squirrely! Should be a nice test to measure where the run D stands, should be interesting. I expect the Bills overall run game to be shutdown! However, Spiller is one of those guys that can get his if given the opportunity...just gotta make sure not to give him one.

Anyone know how the Bills O-line has been playing the second half of the year???

Latest posts