Bobby Wagner

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Bobby's starting to look like yet another home run draft pick. He has been mentioned quite a lot in the DRoTY discussion and after yesterday's monster game, he could quite possibly be the clear forerunner. This kid has quietly performed at an elite level. I wonder if he's getting any Pro Bowl consideration from the mediots.

Hawks46

Reaction score
You can see the progression. First, he was making tackles, then he gets to call the defense.

Now he's making impact plays and getting turnovers.

Next up is run gap discipline, making plays behidn the los more often, and sharpening up the coverage. Then we will have our own "Willis lite" on the roster.

amill87

Reaction score
He is definitely an overall improvement to our LBs but the run gap discipline needs a lot of work. I'm not too concerned because I think that can be coached out of him.

Who is his main competition for DROY? The end from NE? I know Irvin has more sacks than him so I don't see it there...

OP
OP
SmokinHawk

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":3lr43b83 said:
You can see the progression. First, he was making tackles, then he gets to call the defense.

Now he's making impact plays and getting turnovers.

Next up is run gap discipline, making plays behidn the los more often, and sharpening up the coverage. Then we will have our own "Willis lite" on the roster.

I would definitely like to see him making more plays behind the LOS as he has the speed to catch guys from behind. Aside for a few games where he was specifically targeted in the run game, I think his gap discipline has been pretty good. What most amazes me is his ability to stand up to 300+ pound guards blocking him.

amill87

Reaction score
Wow....just did a little stat looking up on NFL.com

Tackles PDEF INT
116 6 1
109 7 3

One of those players is Bowmann from the Niners, the other is Wagner.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Perhaps not to be overlooked is playing the last 2 games next to M. Smith. If I remember correctly he has Cornerback speed in the 4.4 Range. That has to help. Wagners problems has never been one of ability. He just needed to read and then react not the other way around.

What has surprised me about him is his pass coverage improvements and growth. Last week he had a spotty game in Chicago. He looked excellent at it yesterday

OP
OP
SmokinHawk

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Happypuppy":npllk8dw said:
Perhaps not to be overlooked is playing the last 2 games next to M. Smith. If I remember correctly he has Cornerback speed in the 4.4 Range. That has to help. Wagners problems has never been one of ability. He just needed to read and then react not the other way around.

What has surprised me about him is his pass coverage improvements and growth. Last week he had a spotty game in Chicago. He looked excellent at it yesterday

He's passed the eye test for me since the Cowboys game. I have noticed his coverage skills greatly improving as well. He can run stride for stride with pretty much any TE in the league.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Bobby is going to blow past Tatupu's first year with the Hawks in terms of production.

Wagner- 109- total tackles, 2-sacks, 4- passes defended, 3- INT's
Tatupu- 104- total tackles, 3-sacks, 6- passes defended, 3-INT's, 1- TD

He's virtually there already but has 3 more games to add to his totals. Wagner is the man and I think he's developing very nicely. Very exciting to see. I also love what I'm seeing out of Macolm Smith, I hope he continues to play the rest of the year.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
As the game keeps slowing down for him, you will see him making more and more plays. We stacked a lot on his plate to start the season as a rookie - he's now organically becoming a play maker.

He will keep getting better and better.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Wagners should have another int, but it was taken away by a llama penalty.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
jlwaters1":15tluckh said:
Bobby is going to blow past Tatupu's first year with the Hawks in terms of production.

Wagner- 109- total tackles, 2-sacks, 4- passes defended, 3- INT's
Tatupu- 104- total tackles, 3-sacks, 6- passes defended, 3-INT's, 1- TD

He's virtually there already but has 3 more games to add to his totals. Wagner is the man and I think he's developing very nicely. Very exciting to see. I also love what I'm seeing out of Macolm Smith, I hope he continues to play the rest of the year.

This is pretty impressive, especially considering how highly most of us think of Lofa's rookie year.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong, but I think Wagner should beat out Kuechly for DROY. Stats aside, isn't it more impressive for a rookie to be commanding a great defense than a terrible one? The Panthers D is truly awful.

OP
OP
SmokinHawk

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":87xeb6pe said:
Man did he have a great game, and season for a rookie mike. Heater who?

Heater... Heater... The name rings a bell, but I just can't remember.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
LB's beat out Secondarys in DROY.

I remember that Bills player had about 8 INT and still didn't win DROY.

But Harrison Smith is a Safety and has 3 INT with 2 INT TD's.

amill87

Reaction score
razgriz737":1h65yrqk said:
Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong, but I think Wagner should beat out Kuechly for DROY. Stats aside, isn't it more impressive for a rookie to be commanding a great defense than a terrible one? The Panthers D is truly awful.

I was thinking the same thing. Kinda thinking the same thing for Wilson on offense, if we make a deep playoff run, wouldn't that be even more impressive?

CANHawk

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":35yuhm1u said:
Largent80":35yuhm1u said:
Man did he have a great game, and season for a rookie mike. Heater who?

Heater... Heater... The name rings a bell, but I just can't remember.

Say what you will about the player, but he had a phenomenal nickname!

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Harrison Smith (S, MN) is having a good year too but its between Wagner and Kuechly IMO.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
YOU DON’T SAY
“For Defensive Rookie (of the Year), three linebackers stepped in from day one and became tackling machines – Carolina’s Luke Kuechly, Seattle’s Bobby Wagner and Tampa Bay’s Lavonte David. Cornerback Casey Hayward of the Packers has been a star from about Week 4. Linemen Chandler Jones of New England (outside) and Derek Wolfe of Denver (inside) have provided consistent pressure since Week 1. Safety Harrison Smith of Minnesota is already one of the most instinctive safeties in the league. For now, for the wins and the leadership and filling a gaping hole, I’ll take Wagner of the Seahawks.” – Peter King in his “Monday Morning Quarterback” at SI.com

vin.couve12

Reaction score
To the delight of the Soldier Field crowd and his sideline, Smith passed up the field-goal attempt and went for it. Michael Bush was stuffed for no gain on the play, and the second guessing began before Bush got off the ground.

Even Smith joined the chorus.

"Some decisions I made really hurt us early on," he said. "I should have taken the field goal in a game like that. I feel like we had momentum and wanted to really kind of knock them out and get them on their heels a little bit. That was the big play of the game."

The Bears didn't lose the game because they went for it. They lost the game because they missed a one-foot putt.

That play was a gimme. If everyone could have just fallen forward, Bears win.

Bush, all 245 pounds of him, was brought to Chicago, if not put on this earth, to make a half-yard.

And the Bears have had enough success in short-yardage situations that they shouldn't have been shy about being aggressive. Going into this game, the Bears faced 23 third- or fourth-and-1 situations and converted 15 of them.

The risk was minimal, and certainly worth the potential reward — taking the Seahawks out of the game early in the second quarter.

The Bears want to be a power offense. They want to play with a physical mentality. They can't look in the mirror and like what they see unless they take on challenges like that fourth-and-1.

After his mea culpa, Smith acknowledged he would go for it again in the same situation, and he should.

"I feel like if you're going to win and be able to get in the playoffs and play good football this time of season, you've got to be able to pick up fourth-and-short like that," he said.

And if they can't, they don't deserve to win the game.

"We have the guys that can make the plays," wide receiver Brandon Marshall said. "We have been really successful on fourth downs, third-and-shorts, fourth-and-shorts. So I liked the call and I was one of the guys that was lobbying for it. We just have to make the play."

That was the overriding sentiment in the Bears locker room.

"I liked that call as a lineman," guard Gabe Carimi said. "We have a strong offensive line group, an intense group. I feel we should be able to make those plays."

The Bears went with their heavy package, sending in 306-pound James Brown at tight end to pair with Matt Spaeth, and subbing Bush in for Matt Forte. Brown and Spaeth lined up on the left side of the formation, which ended up being the back side of the play.

Bush said the play was called "Strike," and he was supposed to go wherever he saw a push. And that's where the problem started. There wasn't enough of a push anywhere.

"It's on the offensive line," leader and center Roberto Garza said. "We have to be able to convert that. It's squarely on our shoulders and it's unacceptable."

Carimi had similar feelings. "We should get that every time," he said. "We didn't move the line as well as we could have, and we didn't get up on the linebacker to make the play."

Bush went up the middle to the right of the line. Carimi, playing right guard, blocked the three technique tackle. A pull from the left side of the line failed to reach Seahawks middle linebacker Bobby Wagner, who met Bush head on.

"I saw (Bush) about to jump so I met him before he got forward momentum," Wagner said. "He kind of left his feet, and I left mine too."

Bush averaged 5.6 yards per carry for the game, but couldn't get a half-yard on the game's most important play.

"They did a good job of stalemating the line, "Bush said. "There was nothing I could do. I didn't have any place to squeeze in."