Tiebreaker vs giants

mikeak

Reaction score
Has anyone broken down the tiebreaker scenarios against Giants?

They can max get to 3-3 in division. If redskins catch them we look better than we would against the skins in a tiebreaker situation

Thoughts / breakdown anywhere

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Conference record is the tie breaker but, we need to get the division lead first.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
The best giants can get to is 3-3. If we win out but 49ers only loose to us then we will also be at 3-3

It would get down to common opponents and strength of schedule which is beyond me :)

The thing with redskins is if they win enough to remain in competition then they will beat us with their division record (they won't go 3-3 and be competitive) so better if giants loose I think

To clarify - tiebreaker in WC scenario assuming skins pass them

kearly

Reaction score
If the Giants and Seattle both win out, the Giants get the tiebreaker. If the Giants and Seahawks finish 2-1 and that one loss is to Buffalo and the Giants beat Baltimore, then there is a chance Seattle could get the tiebreaker.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Kearly - thanks that is what I was looking for

Would you mind elaborating :) - does it come down to common opponents? Not sure how that works when we play 49ers twice and Giants played them once and Giants plays Dallas twice and we played them once. If we go 1-1 does that give us a .75 record and Giants won so the Giants take it or do we get to pick the best outcome :) and vice versa in their dallas matchup

Or does it skip common opponents due to not having 4 and go down to strenght of schedule etc?

Just really curious and think it is a real possibility that redskins passes the giants in the standings

Hawks46

Reaction score
I want to say it starts with divisional record, which hurts us.

The second tie break goes to conference record.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hawks46":3o9agvrc said:
Huh?

That doesn't make an ounce of sense.

To break a tie between two teams not in the same division (but in the same conference), why would the tie-breaker be divisional record??

The tie breaker is intra-conference record.

kidhawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":15swbrax said:
Hawks46":15swbrax said:
Huh?

That doesn't make an ounce of sense.

To break a tie between two teams not in the same division (but in the same conference), why would the tie-breaker be divisional record??

The tie breaker is intra-conference record.

In my understanding, what you have posted is true. Division is the tie breaker for two teams in the same division. If teams are in different divisions, you toss that one, so since we don't play the Giants, we toss the head to head and division records and go straight to conference. The Giants currently have a better NFC record than us, so they get that tie breaker. However, the Giants play the Falcons, Ravens and Eagles whereas we play the Bills, Niners and Rams. Hopefully we win out and they lose one of the next two games and the tiebreaker is useless

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Here are the steps between different divisions

1.Head-to-head, if applicable. COMMENT: NA

2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference. COMMENT: Giants can at best go 3-3 we can also go 3-3

3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four. This is what I don't know how it applies since they played Dallas twice (1-1) and we played Dallas once (1-0). Now we are playing SF twice (1-1 to make this scenario applicable since otherwise we don't get to 3-3) and Giants played them once (1-0). Do both games count, average of the two or not at all - or we don't hit the minimum of four as it is only 3 teams but 5 games...

4.Strength of victory.
5.Strength of schedule.
6.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8.Best net points in conference games.
9.Best net points in all games.
10.Best net touchdowns in all games.
11.Coin toss.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":17lu8tge said:
2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference. COMMENT: Giants can at best go 3-3 we can also go 3-3

You are confusing conference with division. There are 12 conference games and only 6 division games. The division record doesn't matter here, only conference. Giants are 7-3 and the Seahawks are 6-4. They play Eagles/Falcons we play Niners/Rams. The only way we get past this tiebreaker is if we lose to buffalo and win our last two games and they lose to one of the NFC opponents. This would put us both with 8-4 records and it would move on to the next tiebreaker.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
mikeak":eeygehch said:
Here are the steps between different divisions

1.Head-to-head, if applicable. COMMENT: NA

3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four. This is what I don't know how it applies since they played Dallas twice (1-1) and we played Dallas once (1-0). Now we are playing SF twice (1-1 to make this scenario applicable since otherwise we don't get to 3-3) and Giants played them once (1-0). Do both games count, average of the two or not at all - or we don't hit the minimum of four as it is only 3 teams but 5 games...

4.Strength of victory.
5.Strength of schedule.
6.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8.Best net points in conference games.
9.Best net points in all games.
10.Best net touchdowns in all games.
11.Coin toss.

Your statement in #2 is flawed.

The Giants are currently 7-3 playing conference foes. With wins over Atlanta and Philadelphia they can get to 9-3.

Seattle currently is 6-4 within the conference. Best we can get to is 8-4 by beating SF and St. Louis.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":3tbrys7j said:
mikeak":3tbrys7j said:

You are confusing conference with division. There are 12 conference games and only 6 division games. The division record doesn't matter here, only conference. Giants are 7-3 and the Seahawks are 6-4. They play Eagles/Falcons we play Niners/Rams. The only way we get past this tiebreaker is if we lose to buffalo and win our last two games and they lose to one of the NFC opponents. This would put us both with 8-4 records and it would move on to the next tiebreaker.

100% correct - complete screwup in my mind thank you for clarifying