Is McCoy the starter next season?

Tical21

Reaction score
I've been starting to see McCoy more and more on the field over the course of the season, even as a single TE. And he's had moments. Gets me wondering if they're kind of giving him a tryout to see if they can trust him enough to save a boatload of cash and go into next season with McCoy as the starter at TE. I'm not arguing at all that he is as good as Miller, but he's like 1/15th of the price. Would it not be more efficient to use all that extra dough elsewhere and roll McCoy out there every week?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Nope. Yeah, looked good today, but he is GLACIAL! Not a chance he is some hidden pass catching gem.

pehawk

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but aren't all McCoys big plays this year w/Miller on the field too? Point being, Miller may be the best blocking TE going right now in pass protection. McCoy can only do that because Miller's unique.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
the only change at tight end we will see next year is that even moore will be gone and Cameron morrah will be back to his rightful spot.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ugf4s8p0 said:
Nope. Yeah, looked good today, but he is GLACIAL! Not a chance he is some hidden pass catching gem.

Jason Witten isn't exactly fast but he's a great pass catcher.

And he's faster than Miller by 40 times. McCoy runs a 4.71, while Miller clocks in at 4.83. McCoy even weighs 2 more pounds than miller at 257.

Maybe he's not Jimmy Graham, but he could be Jason Witten, who ran a 4.65, not much faster than McCoy, but quite a lot faster than what Miller ran.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":tx0hi399 said:
Scottemojo":tx0hi399 said:

And he's faster than Miller by 40 times. McCoy runs a 4.71, while Miller clocks in at 4.83. McCoy even weighs 2 more pounds than miller at 257.

Maybe he's not Jimmy Graham, but he could be Jason Witten, who ran a 4.65, not much faster than McCoy, but quite a lot faster than what Miller ran.
Please don't compare him to Witten, but he can be a very solid 3rd tight end.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
BAllenHawk":2uxmr3c3 said:
hawksfan515":2uxmr3c3 said:
Scottemojo":2uxmr3c3 said:

Please don't compare him to Witten, but he can be a very solid 3rd tight end.

Why not? He's already clearly shown he's the next Jason Witten! :mrgreen: :sarcasm_off:

hawker84

Reaction score
why are we discussing this.. we have two very good TE's, who cares who starts, they both had great catches today, they both played solid.... i think miller the more complete TE, and McCoy obviously showed he has some big play ability.. keep them both, use them to their advantages... moore needs to go bye bye though, that's for sure.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I REALLY want the Hawks to find a way to keep Miller. Guy has been nothing but a quality player for this team. He's sacrificed numbers and personal accalodes for the good of the team by being a third tackle most of the time he's been here, yet not once have we heard a single complaint from him. That's the very epitome of 'doing whatever it takes to win' and a huge contributing factor to the closeness of a team. Now that the o-line is better we've seen him start to get more catches. IIRC, his salary cap number is kind of high next year (like 8 mil sticks in my mind......someone with knowledge please verify), but I have a gut feeling he'd rework to stay here considering his contribution and attitude since he's been here. Guys like this are what make champions. Now if he were unwilling to rework then yeah, for salary cap purposes it may be time to move on.

themunn

Reaction score
McCoy's emergence has shown we don't need to worry about finding a 2nd TE for the 2 TE sets Carroll wants us to use.
We could definitely use an upgrade over Moore though

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
hawker84":3p8vb9xm said:
why are we discussing this.. we have two very good TE's, who cares who starts, they both had great catches today, they both played solid.... i think miller the more complete TE, and McCoy obviously showed he has some big play ability.. keep them both, use them to their advantages... moore needs to go bye bye though, that's for sure.

It is a valid discussion because Miller has an unmanageable salary next year. $11 mil cap hit. I would guess that if he does not restructure, he will not be on the team next year, despite the fact that he has played pretty well.

I would add that if they draft a TE with a high pick, it is probably even more likely that Miller is gone. I hope they keep him, but I don't think he is worth $11 mil

Hawks46

Reaction score
Miller's cap hit is high, but he's probably the best blocking TE in the NFL that actually goes out into routes. Miller is tough, has great technique, and is a willing blocker, which is something that is tough to find coming out of college anymore, with teams splitting TE's out wide more often than not. He's the kind of TE we need to make our scheme work, and it's also why McCoy took a couple of years to adjust.

Miller doesn't have to be fast. He stays in to block, then runs out in the route, which gains him a ton of separation. Plus, he's a smart player who knows where to find holes in the zones, and he has some of the best hands on the team. McCoy gets open many times because we run Miller on shallow drag routes, he sucks up the LBers, and McCoy is wide open.

I don't know if we can afford to keep Miller, but we need to. McCoy is getting to be a better blocker, but he's still not physical enough to match what Miller does for this offense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3kb1ronf said:
I would add that if they draft a TE with a high pick, it is probably even more likely that Miller is gone. I hope they keep him, but I don't think he is worth $11 mil

The Hawks might try to renegotiate Miller's contract during the off season.......but IMO he's still worth the 11 million hit. He's far too valuable to the #1 priority of this offense, running the ball.

McCoy is coming around, but he's not even close to consistent enough in either pass blocking or catching to make Miller expendable.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Zach Miller is one of the LEAST likely players that I want to see leave the team.

We need the "Zach Millers" of this team in order to make a Superbowl run.

He's money in whatever he does on the field.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
I agree Miller is extremely important to what Seattle wants to do, but he is not 11 mil a year important. We will see however if the FO agrees with me in the offseason.

Latest posts