Random Thoughts™ on the Cardinals game in Seattle

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • The other day I was reading the local paper, and it had an article by Danny O'neil that kind of rubbed me the wrong way. It was entitled "Seahawks tend to play according to competition" and as the title suggests, it highlighted the fact that Seattle has lost some games to teams with poor records this season. It then extrapolated from that and suggested that Arizona's horrible slide somehow made for an "intriguing" Sunday matchup.

I have nothing against O'neil, in fact I'd say that his sports writing on the whole is slightly above average, but reading that article bothered me. For a guy who's job it is to cover the Seahawks, you think he'd a avoid a title like that. It's as if he hadn't even watched the games. The Seahawks did not play down to the Jets level. They did not play down to the Cowboys or Vikings .500ish levels. They held a lead in every game they lost all season. In the season opener, Arizona played awesome defense and BEAT the Seahawks, albeit just barely. The Lions BEAT the Seahawks thanks to a fantastic outing from Matt Stafford, who made perfect play after perfect play when anything less wouldn't be enough. The Dolphins figured out Seattle's defense in the 2nd half and tore them a new one late to eek out a clutch victory. In all those cases, the underdog teams elevated their usual level of play significantly just to compete, and barely beat, the Seahawks.

Really, the only two games all year where I'd agree with O'neil were the Rams and Panthers games. Both were at 10 am by the way, and Seattle split those two games which occurred on consecutive weeks. In both those games Seattle looked flat and legitimately did play on a lower level. So really, there isn't a great case to be made here. Seattle had two truly flat games against weak teams, but had 3 blowout wins against less than great teams too.

It annoyed me. You know what else annoyed me? That John Skelton somehow owned a 2-0 record against Seattle. Just like how Matt Leinart did at one point years ago.

I wouldn't have been satisfied with a close win today. I wanted the Seahawks to remind people just how scary good of a team they are. And holy hell, did they deliver.

There was no "playing down" to Arizona's level today. Seattle crushed Arizona in the first half, scoring 38 points while allowing none. Then in the 2nd half, Seattle pulled most of their starters on offense, and still tacked on an additional 20 points while maintaining the shutout. It could have been 23 points if Carroll had attempted a field goal on 4th and 23.

If we were to play the word game where you mention the first word you think of when discussing this football game, the first word for me is "humiliation." It's one thing to get blown out by a clearly superior team, but in this case even the backups were still ripping them a new one. Seattle kicked Arizona's ass so hard in the first half they lost a boot. Then they figured hey, let's lose the other boot too. Why not?

What was truly scary was that Pete seemed to want to avoid running up the score. Going for 4th and 23 in field goal range was actually good sportsmanship, because very few 4th and 23 plays convert and tacking on 3s when you have a 51 point lead is completely unnecessary. He took out Wilson, Lynch, and most of the starting O-line. If running up the score was his goal, he would have kept those starters in.

In the end, this was a historic game for the Seahawks on several levels. It was the biggest shutout win in team history, destroying the previous record (45-0). It was the highest scoring game in team history and (obviously) the largest margin of victory in team history. It was the 3rd largest shutout win in NFL history (Superbowl era), and it would have been #1 if Pete kicks that field goal (the current modern era record is 59-0, held by two teams). Seattle's defense might have set a record for fantasy points as well.

And while I personally think the evidence and Carroll's past history suggests that his intention was not to run up the score, so what if he was? You don't have to apologize to a guy like Whisenhunt who has a very real chance of not being an NFL coach next week. It's the cold hard truth of the NFL, and really we might have just done the Cardinals a favor. This utter destruction laid bare how simply awful that franchise is, and makes a clean start that much easier to justify this offseason. Whisenhunt is actually a decent coach, but that front office is a joke.

And during this whole one-sided affair the 12thman remained throughout. Though I guess it helped that Matt Flynn gave them a reason to keep watching.

As far as the game itself:

-For the first time in weeks, Russell Wilson failed to raise his passer rating. It's hard to complain though when his meager 87 passer rating performance led numerous scoring drives and averaged a gaudy 11.4 yards per attempt. His lone interception was the result of Golden Tate slipping, having the ball sneak just between his hands and Patrick Peterson making a terrific play. I've also been told that the ball might have been tipped, although I have not been able to confirm. It was Wilson's first ever interception during a regular season game at home, and his first interception anywhere since October.

-The most exciting development today was Walter Thurmond. Thurmond looked like an all-pro against the Giants in 2011- I really thought we had a superstar in the making back then. Unfortunately, he was injured the very next week. This was his first NFL action since that time. He pretty much took it where he left off. He was making diving pass defense plays, great tackles, and even tipped the ball up on that crazy interception which effectively began the blowout.

-The second most exciting development of today's game was that Seattle's odds of winning a rookie of the year award went up substantially. Bobby Wagner has 3 picks and 4 passes defensed in the last 3 games after having none in weeks 1-11. He's still behind Kuechly in tackles, but Kuechly only has one sack and one pick to his name, and commands a terrible defense compared to Wagner who manages an elite unit in possible Superbowl contention. Bruce Irvin also notched his 8th sack. RG3 suffered an ugly knee injury that could shut him down for the rest of the season, and even if he does play on, he likely won't be the same in the final 3 weeks. If Seattle keeps winning and RG3 slows down enough, Wilson could have a real shot. As over hyped as Luck is right now, it seems to me that Wilson has been a more popular topic since the Bears game. He's become the dark horse of the RoY discussion.

-This was a great game for almost the entire secondary. Kam Chancellor was making plays everywhere. Richard Sherman had the best game of his life- and that's saying a lot. He had two picks, a fumble recovery and a few passes defensed. Jeron Johnson had a strip sack and avoided the negative play.

-The pass rush today was below average considering the opponent, the game being at home, and the fact that Seattle wisely used mostly man coverage today. As usual, the pass rush came alive on blitz plays. I would be surprised if there is a 4-3 team in the NFL that benefits more from blitzing than Seattle does.

-Tim Ryan again, but you guys already knew that.

-Robert Turbin had his first 100+ yard game. Lynch also had 100+, averaging a ridiculous 11.6 yards per carry. Nothing showed more "quit" in the Cardinals today than their run defense, who entered this game ranked 3rd in the NFL in run defense.

-I really liked one particular playcall by Darrell Bevell today. Seattle had a well set up screen play spoiled by an alert batted ball when an Arizona defender swatted Wilson's screen pass down. A few plays later Seattle faced another screen pass situation, but instead of throwing it up the middle and risking another tipped ball, Anthony McCoy faked as a blocker and turned into a last second receiver on the outside. The play went for 21 yards and converted a long first down. It caught the Cardinals with their pants down, and it had an impact on their blitzing the rest of the game.

-Breno Giacomini looked like his early season self again. He would settle down after his 3rd mistake, but performances like that could cost you a playoff game. Seattle might want to start giving looks to Frank Omiyale before it's too late. And I say that as someone who likes Giacomini. He's not as bad as people think, but there are also times where no amount of run blocking can compensate for his negative plays.

-Matt Flynn looked pretty damn good today considering that he was playing with mostly backups. He's a clear step down from Wilson, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that Flynn has looked like a top 15 level QB in his last two outings (AZ and Oakland).

-Malcolm Smith has handled his increased role pretty well. I'd still like a nice investment there since Smith is not a guy you can count on to last 16 games (he's undersized with injury history). However, he's almost too perfect as a backup. He's a great player to have step in a few games a year.

-John Ryan had another great game.

A final thought:

If you had told me before the year that Seattle would have outscored Arizona 74-20 this season, I would have believed it. If you had told me they would have split despite that score, I would have begrudgingly believed it. But really, this game today was pretty much what I had hoped for and expected in week one. The talent gap between Arizona and Seattle is ridiculous. Not 58-0 ridiculous, but close. It's just a shame that you know, small sample sizes and all that. Arizona started 4-0. Anything can happen in small samples, especially in the parity heavy NFL.

So today was gratifying on just about every front. It was about as close to a perfect win as you could get. John Skelton finally played like the hot pile of doo that he really is and Seattle finally gave the Cardinals a righteous assbeating that was long, long overdue. I have a hunch it will be the first of many straight victories in this matchup. Arizona isn't turning into a great team any time soon.

But 58-0? That's neat. Even a bad team can blow out a team every once in a while, but tempting 60 is a rare feat. That's something normally exclusive to the New England Patriots.
    Last edited by kearly on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• 1ST!

Great post BTW Kearly. Always look forward to this write up after the game.
    Last edited by hawksfan515 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Lol Hawksfan

Earlier in the year i was expecting the Hawks to draft a LB to replace Hill (age and what not) but Malc has played well beyond my expectations.

This game was fantastic. This week is going to nothing short of AWESOME. Still kinda wish the national "experts" would actually give us some decent love. Had this been the result of Pats v. Jets it'd get a lot of coverage on NFLN and ESPN.
    tubbs51
    NET Starter

• I saw nothing wrong with Danny saying the hawks play up and down based on their competition because up until this week it was true all season. Holy cow what a day............
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• bellingerga wrote:I saw nothing wrong with Danny saying the hawks play up and down based on their competition because up until this week it was true all season. Holy cow what a day............

Agreed, as well.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• I have to disagree with you Kearly about Breno. He plays through the whistle and is the type of ID Cable wants in his lineman. He gets hit by refs calling a tight game or those trying to reign in fighting. Breno and Lynch go together like "peas and carrots".
    "If we lose ... this place will be a Carnival of Stupidity." FlyingGreg
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

• Anthony McCoy had the first 100 yard day for a Seahawks receiver this year, i believe. Showed some great athletecism in doing so. I've been wanting to draft a Jimmy Graham type tight end, maybe, just maybe we already have that.

Need more consistency out of him though.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Who is Tim Ryan?
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Had to stop watching the game early to go to a family thing, knew this in advance, so I hoped for a blowout. Walked outside today, turned to the mrs and said, "Hawks are winning big today, its cold and wet and the Cardinals can't throw the ball when its sunny and 70." It all went the right way today.

I love taking the manhood of opponents, the Cards mailed it in today and it was beautiful to see. After all these close games, my heart needed a week off. Just beautiful.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• BlueTalon wrote:Who is Tim Ryan?

The color commentator.

Did anyone else notice him chastising us for "running the score up"? That irked me. And I usually like what he has to say.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• bellingerga wrote:I saw nothing wrong with Danny saying the hawks play up and down based on their competition because up until this week it was true all season. Holy cow what a day............

I disagree. Seattle played well on offense in the Detroit and Miami games. I thought they played well on defense against Detroit, but Matt Stafford stepped up and just had an insanely good performance. In the case of Miami, I think Carroll just blew it. I put that loss 100% on him for going zone heavy without blitzing, and for running so damn much despite Wilson being white-hot. As far as the players, they did not play down to anyone's level. Miami also played AWESOME defense that game, and Tannehill has been looking pretty good lately if you hadn't noticed.

Carolina and the St. Louis? Sure. No argument there. But that's just two games. And really, if Anthony McCoy doesn't slip we might be 2-0 in those games, so it's not the most compelling argument for me. If you ask me, it's a misconception. And several games this year, especially today's, helped clear that misconception up.

Fudwamper wrote:I have to disagree with you Kearly about Breno. He plays through the whistle and is the type of ID Cable wants in his lineman. He gets hit by refs calling a tight game or those trying to reign in fighting. Breno and Lynch go together like "peas and carrots".

I like Breno. I also know that there are only so many negative plays an offensive lineman is worth. Imagine if all five of our lineman today had the kind of day Breno had. You'd have 100+ yards in penalties, 5 sacks, and a ton of confiscated yards from those penalties. It wouldn't exactly be a good line, would it? That said, I do like Giacomini and I hope he figures things out. But today, he just made too many mistakes, and eventually it could cost Seattle a game if he can't fix it. I do like his ability though. He's under-rated in pass pro and at times dominant in the run game. He's the kind of player you want to get his act together since he's a pretty good player when he's not horribly screwing up.
    Last edited by kearly on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Thurmond played last week in place of Trufant against the Bears. Today was his first start. This is his second week of action.

He did play well today, with pretty good coverage and going one-on-one against Fitz on many downs. Sherman shadowed Fitz on 3rd downs according to him.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• kearly wrote:The other day I was reading the local paper, and it had an article by Danny O'neil that kind of rubbed me the wrong way. It was entitled "Seahawks tend to play according to competition"

I'm fixing to read the rest of your post right now...however, just a quick note to let you know, the writer does not write their own headlines. Someone else at the paper does, rather usually by the copy editor, so placing the blame on O'Neil is misplaced.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Not really, the content of the article matched the headline.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• "righteous assbeating". That was a righteous turn of phrase there Kearly. :229031_cheers:

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• 30 points was our previous high on the season, and we nearly hung a 60 burger today to double that total. That is sick.

I will say this, and not to diminish what happened, but I saw some Cardinal players making "business decisions" today.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• This was simply the best beat down I will probably see in my lifetime.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:This was simply the best beat down I will probably see in my lifetime.

Well I have watched every game since the start and this is the best beat down. Yes i watched the Bills game. You are right I may only have 20 years left and I doubt I will see this score again.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote: Imagine if all five of our lineman today had the kind of day Breno had. You'd have 100+ yards in penalties, 5 sacks, and a ton of confiscated yards from those penalties. It wouldn't exactly be a good line, would it?

You are right it would not be a good line it would be great, it would rack up 300 yards a game rushing. I understand your point, but his nastiness is what makes him good and drives those piles. Seriously I would take five Brenos. It would not be 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It would be 6-7 yards and a pile of bodies.
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

• -Robert Turbin had his first 100+ yard game. Lynch also had 100+, averaging a ridiculous 11.6 yards per carry. Nothing showed more "quit" in the Cardinals today than their run defense, who entered this game ranked 3rd in the NFL in run defense.

The Cards run D was actually ranked 24th. It's their pass D that was ranked 3rd. So the fact we had success on the ground isn't much of a surprise, especially considering how the game went. Lynch's 3rd rushing TD had such a lack of effort from the Cards D it was laughable.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Fudwamper wrote:
    kearly wrote: Imagine if all five of our lineman today had the kind of day Breno had. You'd have 100+ yards in penalties, 5 sacks, and a ton of confiscated yards from those penalties. It wouldn't exactly be a good line, would it?

You are right it would not be a good line it would be great, it would rack up 300 yards a game rushing. I understand your point, but his nastiness is what makes him good and drives those piles. Seriously I would take five Brenos. It would not be 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It would be 6-7 yards and a pile of bodies.

Richie Incognito begs to differ.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Thanks for the correction Hasselbeck. That said, Arizona's rush defense ranked 12th in DVOA coming into this game. It wasn't a bad unit. The effort was laughable though. Completely true.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I was trying to judge Breno today. I hope he gets it together too. I saw him blocking down field; hold his own against a decent D line. Playin through the whistle all that. He has great strength and some motor.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• I also loved the play action screen pass to McCoy

Great call just great
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:
    Fudwamper wrote:
    kearly wrote: Imagine if all five of our lineman today had the kind of day Breno had. You'd have 100+ yards in penalties, 5 sacks, and a ton of confiscated yards from those penalties. It wouldn't exactly be a good line, would it?

Not even close the same player. One is good and nasty the other is bad and dumb.
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

• I also had a chuckle when Ryan accused them of running up the score.They were playing backups the entire second half except the 1st possesion.What are they supposed to do,take a knee?
    canzag
    NET Veteran

• Yeah that was Ryan's one misstep in the booth. As if we should take a knee to canzag's point with our backups in.

I see kearly's points with Bruno. You have to tame that beast at some point. Yes, you want a flat-out mauler, a destructive force that takes no prisoners, but if it is at the cost of senseless, destructive penalties that hurt your team, than it's the old "one step forward, two steps back" paradigm that just doesn't pan out in the NFL. Personally, I love the guy for the same reason most of you do. But I also see that he has to learn from his mistakes or he has to step aside. Right now, I'm not so sure he's learning from his mistakes and that is a scary thought come playoff time.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• It wasn't running up the score... As a coach you want all the players to play hard ALL the time, and today the backups did that, and showed that the level of dropoff is not really that much from the "starters" in many cases, especially in Pete's system. As another poster pointed out, Flynn and other backups were in, and PC wants them to get real game time so they are ready/as close to rust-free as possible if called upon. One RG3 moment for Wilson, and Flynn could be the guy pulling the trigger in the playoffs, so we want him in rhythm. Gotta say, Flynn today reminded me of (a 2003-2004) Hasselbeck, just his style his reads, the way he moves, quick decisions, etc. Even though I don't think Flynn had great stats, he looked good, looked ready, and I would be confident he could perform well if called upon with a game in the balance.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• I agree oly, I think Flynn is totally Hasselbeck Part II.

Personally, I think we should do everything in our power to retain him moving forward. I get that that may not be practical in this era of the NFL, but man, to have that kind of insurance in case (GOD FORBID) Mr. Wilson got injured...

What a backup plan that could be. He strikes me as someone who could get the job done. Maybe not with the flash and panache of Wilson, but all that matters is moving the chains, scoring and victories.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Thought I had: Paul McQuistan is seriously one of the most underrated players in the league. The Hawks have the 2nd leading rusher in the league, are breaking in a rookie QB to great success in part because he can lean on a great run game. McQ starts all season at LG or RG and you barely here his name.

IMO one of the top 20 guards in the NFL so far this season. There's talk about Carp, Moffitt, Sweezy and Johnson going forward, and for good reason, but IMO it will take a very strong effort to bump this dude out of his job. Notice that the 3 oline starters that sat first : Okung and Unger (the elite talents) but also McQ. Like Heath Farwell, theres something to be said for just showing up everyday and being very good at your job.

Stream of thought over.
    Last edited by kobebryant on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• I love Breno. I do. I don't care.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:I love Breno. I do. I don't care.

I feel ya.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Zebulon Dak wrote:I love Breno. I do. I don't care.

I do too. He is really quite good. Like Jon Runyan before him, massive a-hole on the field, that combines dominance with crossing the line aggresiveness and the occasional brainfart.

Give me the guy that you have to reel in over the guy that needs a fire lit under him, everytime.

In close games it bugs me from time to time. But in a blowout where the Cards are getting scrappy, Breno flattening a dude late and Sweezy headbutting another guy are pluses in my book. I remember when we didn't have single olinemen that stood up to thiose guys. Now, heck, even our punter is jacked and firey.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:
    BlueTalon wrote:Who is Tim Ryan?

The color commentator.

Did anyone else notice him chastising us for "running the score up"? That irked me. And I usually like what he has to say.

There will be people who say that Pete ran up the score and that going for it on that 4th down, passing later in the game, etc. proves it. But Pete has always felt that it's more likely a defense can stop a 4th down conversion (or TD attempt) than prevent a field goal from being scored. The truth is he pulled his starters early in the third, and he used the running game far more than the pass.

If Pete had truly wanted to run it up, he'd have left Russell in longer and had him throw the ball all over the field. And when Russ wasn't doing that, Beast Mode would have continued to ram it down their throats.

A coach can't ask his backups not to try for the sake of the other team's ego. That wouldn't be fair to guys who are finally getting a chance for meaningful play time. And it would essentially be telling the other team they suck so badly that you pity them. These guys are pros, not eight year olds.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• razgriz737 wrote:

The color commentator.

The criticism of running up the score really bothered me. Belichick and th Pats have done that many times in the past....and they do it keeping Brady and the starters in. But of course they get a free pass. It's smart to let Flynn get some live reps throwing the ball vs just having him turn around hand off up the middle play after play.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Starter

• sc85sis wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:

The color commentator.

There will be people who say that Pete ran up the score and that going for it on that 4th down, passing later in the game, etc. proves it. But Pete has always felt that it's more likely a defense can stop a 4th down conversion (or TD attempt) than prevent a field goal from being scored. The truth is he pulled his starters early in the third, and he used the running game far more than the pass.

If Pete had truly wanted to run it up, he'd have left Russell in longer and had him throw the ball all over the field. And when Russ wasn't doing that, Beast Mode would have continued to ram it down their throats.

A coach can't ask his backups not to try for the sake of the other team's ego. That wouldn't be fair to guys who are finally getting a chance for meaningful play time. And it would essentially be telling the other team they suck so badly that you pity them. These guys are pros, not eight year olds.

Well said!
    80% of Planet Earth is covered by water.....The rest is covered by EARL THOMAS!
    SundayNiteBlackout
    National Guard 09-Present

• The unfortunate thing with Breno is that he's to the point where is reputation preceeds him with the refs. Until he dials it down for pretty much an entire season, this will continue. He will not be given the benefit of any doubt the rest of this year at the minimum and likely well into next year.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Aros wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I love Breno. I do. I don't care.

I feel ya.

i hear ya , but i can't stand the dude... i understand he's giving 100% out there.. but the guy is just not smart, these bone head penalties have been going on all season, at what point do you sit him down and say enough is enough.. why was he even back there pouncing on the guy? it was no where near the play that had already ended by the way... just not a smart player, and is constantly hampering drives with these just plain stupid penalties... that is not championship football...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Conrad Dobler was another "dirty" player for the St. Louis Cards. The refs knew of his tactics but he never changed and retired after a decent career of maulings, bitings, ball pinches etc.

Just sayin.

I like Brenos high intensity, but seriously, he might not be the sharpest tool in the shed to keep making these boneheaded penalties.

Chopin' fish on LSD
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Righteous ass-beating? Yep. The NFL is on notice. The Hawks are hot heading into the playoffs.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Fudwamper wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    Fudwamper wrote:You are right it would not be a good line it would be great, it would rack up 300 yards a game rushing. I understand your point, but his nastiness is what makes him good and drives those piles. Seriously I would take five Brenos. It would not be 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It would be 6-7 yards and a pile of bodies.

Not even close the same player. One is good and nasty the other is bad and dumb.

Giacomini might be a better overall lineman than Incognito, sure, but that "nasty" that he is already known for has already hurt the team before. And his reputation means that officials will look for that from him before anyone else. Enough penalties for being "nasty" will turn pretty damn quickly into "dumb."

It's one thing to get a 15-yard penalty in a blowout like yesterday. It's another thing entirely when the game is close and every 1st down matters (like in MOST of our games).

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Thanks for the sig Fudwamper. That deserves to be imortalized in signature form...
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• I'm guessing O'Neil is pretty much going off of the fact that Seattle has a really good record against winning teams, and we are losing to team with losing records. Ari, Miami, STL (.500, but yea), we lost once to SF, and Detroit. So 4 of our losses were to teams .500 or lower. Then we have wins against GB, NE, CHI, DAL, MIN, Jets, Car, and ARI. 5 of our wins are against winning teams that are in the playoff hunt. On general principle, he's not incorrect. You can say "if only for a few plays", but the fact is, good teams make the small plays that add up. We either gave it away, or the other team did just enough to win. Either way, it's a loss, and we've lost more to losing teams, than winning teams. I don't disagree with you Kearly, but I can't disagree with him either.

I'm stoked we got some backups some playing time. This was a great game to break in Thurmond, Lane and Maxwell. They all seemed to do fairly well, I was really impressed with Thurmond.

I agree, Flynn looked good. So many people say that Flynn couldn't beat out Wilson, and that's an indictment on Flynn. I honestly think he can be a starting QB for a lot of teams in this league, and the fact that Wilson beat him out is more a compliment to Wilson than a negative to Flynn. Flynn had zip on his passes, and managed to look athletic on breaking a tackle that most pocket QBs in this league don't break.

I really hope this gives us momentum to carry into the rest of the season. We need every game from here on out.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Screw the Cards. Go Breno.

Sacrifice 15 yards to give those clowns an extra late shot, reverse 15 yards and score the TD anyway. They're gonna beat ya and insult your manhood while they do it. Woot.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• sc85sis wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:

The color commentator.

This really annoyed me yesterday. Our backup QB was throwing to our 3rd string TE.

Running up the score? More like getting Flynn his first reps of the season.
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    DYLcurry59
    NET Starter

• If I were Pete, I'd make Breno wear the most annoying, high intensity/volume hearing aids that man has designed... such that when the whistle blows, he'd be momentarily paralyzed by the sound.

With all of his motor skills de-energized, he'd immediately fall to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

In three seconds or less, he'd be able to pick himself up off the ground and hustle back to the huddle.

No more late hits for Breno. Yep, I think that would help.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:Giacomini might be a better overall lineman than Incognito, sure, but that "nasty" that he is already known for has already hurt the team before. And his reputation means that officials will look for that from him before anyone else. Enough penalties for being "nasty" will turn pretty damn quickly into "dumb."

It's one thing to get a 15-yard penalty in a blowout like yesterday. It's another thing entirely when the game is close and every 1st down matters (like in MOST of our games).

That is the difference, they are not dumb. They are not I get a false start every 10th play, or holding and shoving a guy away from the ball, or fighting and grabbing a face mask with the game on the line. He is just playing tough hard football through the whistle. He pushes people from the fringe of the pile and pushes the pile. He helps make that great run vs the eagles and he helps make the 2 yard gain a 6 yard gain.
    Fudwamper
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information