Unneccesary Roughness on Rice

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Unneccesary Roughness on Rice
Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:37 pm
  • First, let me say that I was at the game, and the only replay I was able to see was the one they showed at the stadium. However, I thought both when I saw it live and when I saw the replays that it was a total B******* call. It didn't look like helmet to helmet to me, nor a shot to the head. I thought that Rice just got lit up on a good solid football play. If I'm wrong and there was a shot to the head then that's fine.
    But if not, it absolutely pisses me off that the NFL is becoming such a pansy league. What was the safety supposed to do? Go lower, at his knees? Not hit him at all, just let him go? It's the same thing I thought about the call that went against ET on Tannehill a couple of weeks ago. It's just makes me want to puke.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

Re: Unneccesary Roughness on Rice
Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:37 pm
  • I heard that after the game Rice said it was a clean hit.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:38 pm
  • I agree its a lousy rule, but that's how it's supposed to be called. Defenseless receiver regardless of helmet contact.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:39 pm
  • That was a bad call. That was a football play. If Goodell wants anything else then he can buy tickets to the ice capades.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:41 pm
  • Its a crap rule and a crap call, welcome to Rog Goodell's NFFL (National FLAG Football League)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:42 pm
  • I thought it was a bad call as well, he hit with his shoulder.
    bluengreen
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:43 pm
  • Terrible call. Saw one in the Cowboy game even worse. On that play, the DB hit the WR in the chest with his shoulder and dislodged the ball. Wasted effort as he was flagged with the play resulting in a 1st down. Sickening. The Easleys and Lotts could'nt afford to play in today's NFL. Their fines would be bigger than their game checks.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:46 pm
  • It was clean. There was a similar call against the Bengals when there safety stuck Dez Bryant. I blame Goodall. Since he became commish, the NFL product has become softer and is moving towards Two Hand Touch. In fifty years it will be called the THT League. Sad.
    Doug Baldwin does nothing but Save QB's!
    TundraApe
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:50 pm
  • Like they said bad call, but not the most blatant bad call on a hit of the night.
    run and shoot
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:56 pm
  • Loved the hit, hated the call
    bingotown
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:03 pm
  • IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:First, let me say that I was at the game, and the only replay I was able to see was the one they showed at the stadium. However, I thought both when I saw it live and when I saw the replays that it was a total B******* call. It didn't look like helmet to helmet to me, nor a shot to the head. I thought that Rice just got lit up on a good solid football play. If I'm wrong and there was a shot to the head then that's fine.
    But if not, it absolutely pisses me off that the NFL is becoming such a pansy league. What was the safety supposed to do? Go lower, at his knees? Not hit him at all, just let him go? It's the same thing I thought about the call that went against ET on Tannehill a couple of weeks ago. It's just makes me want to puke.

The hit reminded me of the hit by Tate on that Cowboy Defender---Defenseless? :177692:
    It is getting a bit silly with these calls by the Refs nowdays what the hell's next?, never mind, I don't really want to know.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:03 pm
  • It was a great hit. If that was Kam we would be bitching the world on fire.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:06 pm
  • The only thing I was thinking is why the hell is Rice still in the game?
    Rafi
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:56 pm
  • Remember you only get to dress 45 players you can't sit everybody....

What I didn't like was a pass over the middle like that considering the situation.

Clean hit no helmet to helmet bad call IMHO

With that said every player on my FF team sucked today but the seahawks defense gave me the win with 2 pts :) so glad they kept playing!!!!
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:01 am
  • It wasn't a bad call its a bad rule. Although Flynn basically set his receiver up on an unnecessary situation.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:58 am
  • Like Deon Sanders said "Defensless? He went out there in his uniform and pads". Talking about the Cowboys hit on the Bengals receiver. Absolutely right on!
    Waterhawk1
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:32 am
  • An unnecessary call IMHO. Clearly showing a trend toward a "flag football league". The number of flags in yesterday's game was rediculous.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:13 am
  • It was a solid hit, and had Rice been allowed a couple more steps I would definitely be supporting most of you in your decision that it is a bad call. The rule was stated as defenseless player - meaning he didn't have an opportunity to brace to be clobbered. With the hit he took, he could have easily been hurt due to the reaction time issue. I support the call - it had nothing to do with helmet to helmet, more it was Rice's ability to defend himself from the hit.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:16 am
  • Wasn't that the play that Flynn escaped a sack and threw on the run? If I am right (and I think I am) then it's kind of hard to blame the hit on Flynn.

I also thought the call was horrible. Reminded me of Brownser's hit on Welker. As long as thete is no helmet to helmet, there shouldn't be a flag. Otherwise your ruining the game.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:57 pm
  • IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:First, let me say that I was at the game, and the only replay I was able to see was the one they showed at the stadium. However, I thought both when I saw it live and when I saw the replays that it was a total B******* call. It didn't look like helmet to helmet to me, nor a shot to the head. I thought that Rice just got lit up on a good solid football play. If I'm wrong and there was a shot to the head then that's fine.

I just got through watching the game again ... and just got through watching Rice's hit. Let me tell you, I 100% agree with you. That absolutely, positively, was a crappy call on Rashad Johnson. Honestly, hits like that are what I grew up on (and I surmise that most of us grew up on) and are a real part of what made the NFL great. Not that I want Seahawk players getting knocked out or anything ... but this is about the integrity of the game itself. Un-freaking believable. :cussing:
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:05 pm
  • Did the Bear's Safety get fined for the Rice hit on the last play against the Bears. IMO if ET got fined against the Dolphins than surely that safety should have been fined. A forearm to Rice's helmet should have been a penalty IMO.

The way the rules are written virtually every BIG HIT over the middle will draw a flag. I don't particularly like it but I think our safeties have learned how to NOT make those questionable hits. You rarely see Kam make those type of hits like he did last year that drew flags.

My initial though on that hit was that it was a head shot and a flag should fly. After the replay I see it was much more of a clean hit than I thought.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:20 pm
  • I agree with everyone who says it was a clean hit and a bad call, however... At the time it occurred the game was completely out of hand and starting to get very chippy. It was starting to look like Arizona guys were just looking for opportunities to lay a nasty shot on our guys (clean your reservation otherwise). I'm pretty sure the refs throwing the flag there was just a way to keep everything calm and under control.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:09 am
  • It was a perfect tackle and I'm glad Sidney bounced right up afterward.
    SoCalSeahawk
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:21 am
  • CANHawk wrote:I agree with everyone who says it was a clean hit and a bad call, however... At the time it occurred the game was completely out of hand and starting to get very chippy. It was starting to look like Arizona guys were just looking for opportunities to lay a nasty shot on our guys (clean your reservation otherwise). I'm pretty sure the refs throwing the flag there was just a way to keep everything calm and under control.

I was at the game as well and although it may have been a clean hit IMO it was a cheap shot that didn't need to happen to make the play. I agree with the above quote that it was getting chippy and that's why the flag was thrown which I personally agreed with.
    SeahawkFrost
    NET Rookie

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:47 am
  • I don't like it when it's called against us, and I don't like it when it's called for us either.

How else is a DB supposed to break up passes ? Seriously, they need to just throw out the record books for passing right now, since the defense isn't allowed to play anymore.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:17 pm
  • you know my feelings on calls like this... prime time even said on the NFL channel, how is he a defensless player? he's out on the field with full protection, what are pads and helmets for? old school comment for someone who didn't like to hit, but i agree, this is getting pathetic.. goodell get your marbles back from your wife's purse and man the eff up for pete's sake..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:19 pm

• Judging by this, even in super slo-mo, you can see that it was borderline "defenseless" player. Sidney was able to brace for it and within the structure of the rules, I'd say in this case it was probably a bad call. But at full speed, and the scenario in the game (late, garbage time), it could easily be argued that this was to control the safety of the players. Sidney had just gotten his 2nd foot down when he was clobbered high and knocked backwards. Technically, I think this is a foul, but I can see how people would defend both sides.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information