Matt Flynn...

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:57 am
  • captSE wrote:Steve Young didn't skedaddle sitting behind Joe Montana. Don't know the particulars on that though.

    Why do we want to start talking about getting rid of Flynn? BS, keep him, we might need him.


    Aaron Rogers as well... brady behind bledsoe!! a lot of good backs ups waited to get there shot.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3911
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:12 am
  • Flynn hasn't played since pre-season made some nice throws and showed some ability to escape a pass rusher, he can play. They should be able to get a third round pick for him.
    User avatar
    General Manager
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2260
    Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 am
  • skater18000 wrote:All I have 2 say is "we'll see..." but when it happens remember who told u we would get a 2nd round pick for him.

    Why do I have the feeling we'll be seeing this quote for a while much like the one of cboom's about Russ we see all the time?
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    Image
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10855
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:26 am
  • i dont know what game you were watching but he missed a couple of easy td passes.. notice how our drives started to stall and we started kicking fg after fg when he came in.. im not gona say he looked terrible.. cuz he didn't.. but for a guy to come in with a 40somethin point lead and not be able to score on that defense.. he didnt do great. oh yeah and id rather we punt the ball then have our number 1 receiver take a hit like he did.. very lucky he wasn't injured there....
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 201
    Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:43 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:39 am
  • trade him and bring back tjack as a backup!!! holla
    kendog2639
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 334
    Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:18 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:42 am
  • Do you people actually watch the game ? Flynn "missed" that first TD pass because it was tipped at the line. Wilson also had one tipped at the line, but since he walked on water after that, I guess it didn't matter. Flynn also had two passes dropped.

    The knock on Flynn was that he isn't athletic, has a noodle arm, and limited experience. I saw evidence of none of that last game. A defender had him dead to rights; Flynn broke the tackle and made a play. This guy hasn't had starting practice reps all regular season. He had a better completion percentage than Wilson. The Cardinals might've "given up", but they were still A gap blitzing the shit out of Flynn, and he handled it fine. He almost got a 1st down on 4th and forever, when teams know it's coming. Yes, he has a limited sample size, but at some point, EVERY time he comes in, and he looks good, maybe it's cuz he's good.

    I see a lot of people saying "we've gotta trade Flynn....he makes too much money". Really ? We can keep Flynn for one simple reason: we have a starting QB that is getting paid 3rd round money. Seriously, we're not even paying late 1st round money for Wilson. You can't ever get a starting QB for that money. We can fit both on the roster if needed.

    Oh, FLynn had almost no interest in the FA market. Well, you had Manning, which had everyone chasing after him. Then, you have probably the best QB top heavy draft in the last decade. If you're Indy, Waash, Stl (didn't need a QB), you're going after Luck, RGIII, Tannehill, etc. Like someone said, FLynn is 28....go after a younger guy is sometimes preferrable. I think his market is in the iddle of "he aint worth a 4th rounder" and "he's worth Fitz and a 1st rounder".

    And seriously, how would he not be worth a 4th rounder ? I don't konw many teams that wouldn't give up a 4th rounder for a sure quality backup.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3452
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:00 am
  • Hawks46 wrote:Do you people actually watch the game ? Flynn "missed" that first TD pass because it was tipped at the line. Wilson also had one tipped at the line, but since he walked on water after that, I guess it didn't matter. Flynn also had two passes dropped.

    The knock on Flynn was that he isn't athletic, has a noodle arm, and limited experience. I saw evidence of none of that last game. A defender had him dead to rights; Flynn broke the tackle and made a play. This guy hasn't had starting practice reps all regular season. He had a better completion percentage than Wilson. The Cardinals might've "given up", but they were still A gap blitzing the shit out of Flynn, and he handled it fine. He almost got a 1st down on 4th and forever, when teams know it's coming. Yes, he has a limited sample size, but at some point, EVERY time he comes in, and he looks good, maybe it's cuz he's good.

    I see a lot of people saying "we've gotta trade Flynn....he makes too much money". Really ? We can keep Flynn for one simple reason: we have a starting QB that is getting paid 3rd round money. Seriously, we're not even paying late 1st round money for Wilson. You can't ever get a starting QB for that money. We can fit both on the roster if needed.

    Oh, FLynn had almost no interest in the FA market. Well, you had Manning, which had everyone chasing after him. Then, you have probably the best QB top heavy draft in the last decade. If you're Indy, Waash, Stl (didn't need a QB), you're going after Luck, RGIII, Tannehill, etc. Like someone said, FLynn is 28....go after a younger guy is sometimes preferrable. I think his market is in the iddle of "he aint worth a 4th rounder" and "he's worth Fitz and a 1st rounder".

    And seriously, how would he not be worth a 4th rounder ? I don't konw many teams that wouldn't give up a 4th rounder for a sure quality backup.


    I wouldn't trade him for a 4th unless you want to make sure he's out of the division. He's worth a third imo. I think he's going to be a good QB for someone he'd be a huge upgrade for a team like Arizona and your 100 percent correct the ball was tipped or it would have been six.
    User avatar
    General Manager
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2260
    Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:06 am
  • So... who's going to trade for Flynn? Arizona? Another old backup QB? No.

    Philadelphia? Nick Foles or drafting. Minnesota? The Jets? Jacksonville? Oakland? Kansas City?

    I don't see any of these teams trading a lot for Kolb... I mean, uh Flynn. Flynn has looked OK at best.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

    RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7397
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:08 am
  • I'd rather they just kept him than dump him for a fourth.
    User avatar
    General Manager
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2260
    Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 am
  • I get a little feisty when people post on here "Facts" on their arguments, and I've read 3 times that Flynn "missed" that 1st throw.

    I wouldn't trade Flynn at all, unless I could get a 2nd for him, and there was a QB in the 2nd round that I knew could come in and play. If Wilson gets hurt, and Flynn is gone, who do we have ? You want ugly....that's ugly. And scary. My point was that a solid backup that can get you wins is easily worth a 4th rounder. GM's in this league know it too.....look around. How many QBs have been hurt this year ? People castigated SHanahan (which is one of the best offensive minds in football) about drafting 2 QBs. Cousins already validated that pick in one half of one quarter. Our resident draft experts liked Cousins, at least a lot of the ones I read on this site did.

    I'm just saying, in looking at how he comes in and plays, while sitting on the bench the entire season, he always plays well. At NE, as a rookie, he played very well. And NE's defense was better back then. Vs. Detroit, he had a career day. Sure, Detroit's secondary is bad, but they have an elite DL. Look what they did to us, and our run game. Then he gets limited time here. Yup, it was a Cards team that had "given up". They were still blitzing the crap out of him. He changed the run calls a few times to a different side, completed 55% of his passes, and looked pretty polished.

    I'm of the opinion that you can only make so many excuses for a guy, and you can only make so many against a guy. Problem is, he'll be too old before it's mainstream knowledge. I feel as bad for him, as I feel good for Wilson. Sadly, when soemone wins, someone else has to lose.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3452
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:16 am
  • The question isn't whether Flynn has trade value, he most certainly does. He's still better than 20% of NFL QB's, and his salary is low enough for any team desperate to bring in a QB to challenge for a starting job to take a look at trading for him.

    The question is a 3rd or 4th round pick worth it for the Hawks to give up the security of having a very good backup QB.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2914
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:18 am
  • General Manager wrote:I'd rather they just kept him than dump him for a fourth.


    Richard Sherman was a 5th. I would much rather have someone on the team that can contribute.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2482
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:21 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:The question isn't whether Flynn has trade value, he most certainly does. He's still better than 20% of NFL QB's


    What are you basing that off of? If this was true people would have been lining up to sign him last year. The fact that he lost the QB battle here only further deflates his already non-existent value. We will be lucky to get a 6 or 7th round pick for him. People here REALLY tend to overvalue our own guys.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2482
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:22 am
  • To me the only way that trading Flynn is worth it is if we get a draft pick and then use that pick or a LOWER pick for a rookie qb that we think is able to play. (a third round guy that we think can play is worth it for the lower salary)

    Look at the Bears last year - no backup
    Look at Oakland last year about to go playoff qb injured - desperation trade that is costing them


    Look at Redskins yesterday - we will see if Cousins is any good but he was able to come in and play for them and tie the game
    Look at Bears THIS year - still no backup
    Look at 49ers this year - crushes Bears with a competent backup

    We have to have a backup that is able to not just take the ball from the Center but to WIN games. If that is Flynn at $10 million (I don't care about the real number) or if that is a drafted kid I don't care but it should not be guy that to me has proven that he can't have this team winning in the playoffs......

    Remember Russell is not making any real money for the next 2 years (plus this season) so the qb position is still "cheap" regardless of how you look at it.......
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3208
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:24 am
  • 3 pages about the back up QB, only in Seattle...
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19060
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:26 am
  • loafoftatupu wrote:Why is it that Flynn has to go again?


    Is there some etched-in-stone reason other than he makes a little money? I like Flynn on this roster and either want him right where he is or beating out Wilson in camp.


    This. I don't want to trade him for a mid round draft pick and end up with a crappy backup QB either via the draft or free agency.

    We have a good situation with 2 quality QB's. I don't want to end up having to put in a Curtis Painter or Dan Orlovsky type backup.

    Honestly, the only realistic situation right now is if we could get T Jack back as a backup i'd be ok with it. I'm totally comfortable with TJ as a backup.
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    User avatar
    DYLcurry59
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 479
    Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 am
    Location: Redding, CA


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:28 am
  • skater18000 wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:He played garbage time in a 58-0 beat down.

    I'm one of those people who thinks we'll do well to get more than a 4th rounder for him. There was barely any interest when he was available as a free agent, his old coach was lukewarm at best about signing him and the only other interested party was Seattle. He's since not won the job here. And while some new teams have emerged needing a quarterback this season, there's hardly a laundry list of obvious suitors. Try selling Matt Flynn as the answer to the fans and owners in Kansas City or New York.

    And he'll be 28 years old at the start of next season too. It's not old, but it's likely too old to give up significant draft stock for a physically unspectacular career backup.


    The reason he didn't get other suitors is because their were only 6 QB needy teams (Colts, Redskins, Dolphins, Browns, Broncos, and the Seahawks of course) so all the teams had their eyes on better quarterbacks than Flynn (except for maybe Brandon Weeden) so... this year the quarterbacks out their shouldn't be as good... probably 3 first round quarterbacks and maybe a few later guys (Landry Jones and Aaron Murray) and Matt Flynn is better than any of the free agents (besides Joe Flacco) So... a 2nd round pick for the 3rd or 4th best available quarterback... other teams will agree...


    That's not going to happen. NO ONE is giving a 2nd rounder for a career backup who was average yesterday. He missed Baldwin on a TD throw, didn't even give him a chance to make the play. His best play was the play to Rice where he got blasted. He ended with a 79.9 rating and 7.6 YPA. That T-Jack territory. In his 2 drives of the 3rd quarter we failed to score a TD dispite BOTH drives starting inside Arizona's 32 yard line due to turnovers.

    But I agree with several who don't want to trade Flynn. He's a good backup and I hope we keep him... I think keeping him is worth more than a 4th round pick and an unstable backup QB situation. Unless they resign Portis and beleive he's the long term answer as a backup.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2374
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 am
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    General Manager wrote:I'd rather they just kept him than dump him for a fourth.


    Richard Sherman was a 5th. I would much rather have someone on the team that can contribute.


    And what happens if Wilson gets hurt and we don't have a good backup QB were screwed that's what, not buyin that arguement. They should keep him if they can if not trade him out of the division.
    User avatar
    General Manager
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2260
    Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:43 am
  • I just think that backup QB is really important these days. We have seen what happens when backups get extended play with Wallace. I for one would like the dropoff to be minimal. If we were to lose Russ, even for 1 game it would cost us severely if we didn't have that good backup.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5569
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:02 am
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:The question isn't whether Flynn has trade value, he most certainly does. He's still better than 20% of NFL QB's


    What are you basing that off of? If this was true people would have been lining up to sign him last year. The fact that he lost the QB battle here only further deflates his already non-existent value. We will be lucky to get a 6 or 7th round pick for him. People here REALLY tend to overvalue our own guys.


    20% of NFL QB's is eight starting QB's.

    It's not a stretch for me to say that if you dropped Flynn in for any of these QB's, he'd do better.

    - Gabbert
    - Palmer
    - Weeden
    - Sanchez
    - Cassel
    - Skelton/Lindley
    - Locker
    - Henne

    So NOT A STRETCH that any of these teams wouldn't consider giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick to get Flynn into camp to compete for a job.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2914
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:57 am
  • Throw in Ponder and Brady Quinn to that list.

    I totally agree, I think he's probably better than about half the starting QBs in the NFL right now, or at least could be better with more playing time.

    Question is, will he be satisfied to stay a backup ? I can't think that Pete will open up the competition next year.....hell, say Flynn did win it. What does that do for your continuity ?
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3452
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 am
  • Some here getting a bit testy and over wrought cause not everyone agrees with them?


    :141847_bnono:

    We're just talking here,,,,no more coffee for those of you that take Flynn's value up/down to seriously.

    :les:
    Image
    So close to the real thing.
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18530
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am
  • Throw in Ponder and Brady Quinn to that list.

    I totally agree, I think he's probably better than about half the starting QBs in the NFL right now, or at least could be better with more playing time.

    Question is, will he be satisfied to stay a backup ? I can't think that Pete will open up the competition next year.....hell, say Flynn did win it. What does that do for your continuity ?
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3452
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 am
  • redhawk253 wrote:i dont know what game you were watching but he missed a couple of easy td passes.. notice how our drives started to stall and we started kicking fg after fg when he came in.. im not gona say he looked terrible.. cuz he didn't.. but for a guy to come in with a 40somethin point lead and not be able to score on that defense.. he didnt do great. oh yeah and id rather we punt the ball then have our number 1 receiver take a hit like he did.. very lucky he wasn't injured there....


    Hmmm... I seem to remember another Seahawks QB having some issues with easy TD passes being dropped on his first game... Against AZ no less.

    I liked Flynn as QB1 at first, but it's clear Wilson has won the job. Some of you guys should ease up on Flynn--he's not a threat to your guy anymore.
    User avatar
    schkoot
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 78
    Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:27 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:17 am
  • Haha yea right. He does ok in garbage duty yesterday and suddenly his value rockets back up? There was only a 2 team market for him as a free agent, and since then, he was unable to win the starting job on his new team. Why would teams give up valuable draft capital for him now if they didn't even try to sign him as a Free Agent? He is just a career backup at this point, and I don't think career backups get traded for much. 6th or 7th rounder would be my guess at his market value, but I'd rather just keep him. I like the guy, and its nice to have a solid backup.
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2393
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 am
  • It's clear Wilson has earned the right to be our QB. With that said, I still think Flynn can also be a top 10 QB in this league, so I hope he doesn't end up on a division rival at some point.
    edogg23
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 412
    Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 8:30 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:33 am
  • Missing_Clink wrote:Haha yea right. He does ok in garbage duty yesterday and suddenly his value rockets back up? There was only a 2 team market for him as a free agent, and since then, he was unable to win the starting job on his new team. Why would teams give up valuable draft capital for him now if they didn't even try to sign him as a Free Agent? He is just a career backup at this point, and I don't think career backups get traded for much. 6th or 7th rounder would be my guess at his market value, but I'd rather just keep him. I like the guy, and its nice to have a solid backup.


    I'd also love to keep him as a backup, but his salary doesn't fit with that..........therefore a decision will have to be made to trade him or restructure his contract. My guess is Flynn won't go for the restructure, so the Hawks will have no choice but to trade.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2914
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:42 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Haha yea right. He does ok in garbage duty yesterday and suddenly his value rockets back up? There was only a 2 team market for him as a free agent, and since then, he was unable to win the starting job on his new team. Why would teams give up valuable draft capital for him now if they didn't even try to sign him as a Free Agent? He is just a career backup at this point, and I don't think career backups get traded for much. 6th or 7th rounder would be my guess at his market value, but I'd rather just keep him. I like the guy, and its nice to have a solid backup.


    I'd also love to keep him as a backup, but his salary doesn't fit with that..........therefore a decision will have to be made to trade him or restructure his contract. My guess is Flynn won't go for the restructure, so the Hawks will have no choice but to trade.

    Especially since some important players will need to be re-signed in the near future. Guys like Sherman are going to see a huge pay increase.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1539
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:00 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:Throw in Ponder and Brady Quinn to that list.

    I totally agree, I think he's probably better than about half the starting QBs in the NFL right now, or at least could be better with more playing time.

    Question is, will he be satisfied to stay a backup ? I can't think that Pete will open up the competition next year.....hell, say Flynn did win it. What does that do for your continuity ?


    Better than half the quarterbacks in the NFL? Based on what?
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7941
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:06 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:The question isn't whether Flynn has trade value, he most certainly does. He's still better than 20% of NFL QB's


    What are you basing that off of? If this was true people would have been lining up to sign him last year. The fact that he lost the QB battle here only further deflates his already non-existent value. We will be lucky to get a 6 or 7th round pick for him. People here REALLY tend to overvalue our own guys.


    20% of NFL QB's is eight starting QB's.

    It's not a stretch for me to say that if you dropped Flynn in for any of these QB's, he'd do better.

    - Gabbert
    - Palmer
    - Weeden
    - Sanchez
    - Cassel
    - Skelton/Lindley
    - Locker
    - Henne

    So NOT A STRETCH that any of these teams wouldn't consider giving up a 3rd or 4th round pick to get Flynn into camp to compete for a job.


    -Gabbert and Henne play on the same team
    -Cassel is the backup
    -Skelton/Lindley are backups
    -Weeden was drafted in the first round by the browns, the browns didn't even bother entertaining Flynn. Why would they want him now?

    I actually don't think anyone on your list would do better than Flynn in their same situation.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2482
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:25 pm
  • if Flynn is better than all the backups then he would be better than 50% of the qbs in the NFL.....

    Just saying
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3208
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:09 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:I actually don't think anyone on your list would do better than Flynn in their same situation.


    So are you agreeing with me? I'm confused.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2914
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:17 pm
  • redhawk253 wrote:i dont know what game you were watching but he missed a couple of easy td passes.


    I doubt like hell that he was told to go out there and go all Johnny Elway, more than likely he was told to not get careless, to just keep from throwing any picks, and hand off to RB's and eat up the clock,,,Simply put,, by the time Flynn entered the game, the fat lady had already sang.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3499
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:44 pm
  • The thing that jumped out at me yesterday was one of the things that Fieldgulls writers were pointing out on game tape after his signing: his longer windup. Yesterday my brain was distinctly registering an extra tick in Flynn's motion as compared to Wilson's fast release. Thomas Beekers saw a lot of that on Flynn's tape from NE/GB when he went for intermediate/deep shots, possibly his way of driving the ball. I don't think it was a factor on Flynn's tipped TD pass Sunday, but the relative slowness of that release will make tipped passes by the D-line a lot likelier if he gets more snaps.

    Credit him for that Wilson-like clutch play, dock him for the longer release, dock him for lazy play-action, dock him for leading Rice right into a crushing hit that could have concussed him, and I still see a high-end backup who's costing money and doesn't fit this system. I honestly think we'd be just as well off trading him and developing Josh Johnson.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

    Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 11247
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:22 pm
  • SEC FAN wrote:
    skater18000 wrote:And a 2nd rounder and about $5,000, 000 of cap room back... btw great teams don't have great backups, I want a quarterback that can win 7-9 (TJack) Tjack is a great fit as a backup and the only reason heist the backup right now is because we stole a conditional from the bills... haha... he could come back...


    Okay this is getting stupid. TJack isn't even the number 1 backup on a horrible Bills team. Great teams don't have good back ups? Like when Walsh picked up Young from the USFL to back up Montana, Rams picked up Warner from Arena Football to back up Trent Green, Patriots had Brady in the 6th I believe to back up Bledsoe, Stealers had Rapistburger to back up O'Donnell. Even when I was a little kid I remember Doug Williams, Frank Reich, and Hostetler were back ups who won/went to SuperBowls.

    Like I said my friend the coaches already prefer Flynn over TJack so your TJack dreams need to go. That choice has been made. LOL, some Seattle people get so attached to sentimental guys like TJack. Reminds me of Seneca Wallace SMH.[/quote
    ========================================================

    Yours is the only reply necessary. We are always one play from losing RW. Without a Flynn, that means we are always one play from losing the season. One poster suggested we move Flynn "because he wants to start and it would be the right thing to do". This is the same type of fan you reference above. The fan that actually thinks an individual is bigger than team. I am happy we are no longer the team that keeps a Dilfer...well, just because he's a good guy. We won't be moving Flynn, or any other player, because "it's the right thing to do". If such a transaction does not benefit the team, no transaction need be made. This new and improved FO wants wins and this is why teams like NE dump their SB MVP and why we should have dumped Alexander. Boo (or Boo-hoo) all you want. History proves I'm right.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5066
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:46 pm
  • Ok so I haven't chimed in on this since page one........ God it's good to have a life. Battle on about insignificant stuff now.
    bingotown
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 98
    Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:52 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm
  • bingotown wrote:Ok so I haven't chimed in on this since page one........ God it's good to have a life. Battle on about insignificant stuff now.


    It is good you have a life. But I would hardly call the possible replacement of our franchise QB insignificant. You do realize you're on a Seahawk forum, right?
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5066
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:57 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote: dock him for leading Rice right into a crushing hit that could have concussed him.


    True dat, same as we should dock RW for doing the same thing to Rice in the Bears game? :roll:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3499
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:57 pm
  • denial permeates this thread.

    flynn looked good, threw some very good passes even with a quarter of play in for the first time (on a wide birth score). sharp passes complete and some bobbled by wrs.
    *add: and I still say he beats phx and stl away games prior.

    I think given the same games he throws better than RW, but ....we're going with RW for the youth and wheels (I can live with that, 3 games now and I like what RWs doing and there's more to come).

    we may be able to retain flynn but I doubt it highly.
    Last edited by hawkfan1975 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 654
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:14 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:01 pm
  • montanahawk, is this your first year with the game of football?
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 654
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:14 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:21 pm
  • hawkfan1975 wrote:montanahawk, is this your first year with the game of football?


    Hahahahahaha. Wait, are you serious?
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:49 pm
  • I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks Flynn win's those early games is smokin something. Russell survived because of his mobility. Flynn would have found his way onto the IR after that brutal stretch of games.
    Image
    User avatar
    Galen96
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1783
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:30 pm
    Location: Phoenix, Arizona


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:56 pm
  • Don't have much to say about the guy.


    -Didn't like his demeanor coming into the season after losing the job to RW, then again who wouldn't be bummed out? Don't feel bad for the guy at all, he's still getting paid and gets to put on a Seahawks uniform every Sunday!


    -Wasn't too excited about having him be the starter just because of a few great games (didn't want to see another Kevin Kolb in the NFCW). Not entirely sold on him being able to carry the offense over a 16 game period, would not be surprised if he did though.


    -He is a solid backup, nice to know if Russ goes down that guy is waiting on the sideline. Albeit, with a little bit of a chip on his shoulders.
    Image

    Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2108
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:57 pm
  • hawkfan1975 wrote:denial permeates this thread.

    flynn looked good, threw some very good passes even with a quarter of play in for the first time (on a wide birth score). sharp passes complete and some bobbled by wrs.
    *add: and I still say he beats phx and stl away games prior.

    I think given the same games he throws better than RW, but ....we're going with RW for the youth and wheels (I can live with that, 3 games now and I like what RWs doing and there's more to come).

    we may be able to retain flynn but I doubt it highly.


    there's something wrong with you.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 14190
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 pm
  • I see no value in trading Flynn unless Josh Johnson proves capable of running our offense with some efficiency. In that scenario, however, I like the idea of trading him outside the division to pick up some draft capital. Picking up a draft pick for a short-term rental would be outstanding.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7972
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


Re: Matt Flynn...
Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:25 pm
  • I wonder if the members of the dump Flynn crowd were also members of the sign Hass or we are doomed group? The titans did not have a problem paying big bucks to Hass to be a backup. Why should we not feel the same here? A QB can go down in a single play and unless you have a very good QB you are in a world of hurt.
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1859
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 am
  • Montana you are crediting and bashing Flynn on the same play. The play he escaped the sack and threw while evading another defender is also the play Rice was blasted. The problem is it's a broken play, you don't have the luxury to sit back and read defenses, your being forced to make a play and he did.
    As to the poster who says Flynn would be on IR, you are probably right if Flynn held the ball longer than any other QB in the NFL like Wilson but it's been blatantly obvious he actually gets rid of the ball much faster than Wilson and there is a ton of evidence he uses the whole field
    Something Wilson has improved on through the course of the season but it was a big problem early on the year.
    Keep in mind we went directly to that dreaded run run pass when Flynn came in, meaning Flynn had one chance per possession and all but one of those passes were very catchable. It's kind of hard to blame Flynn for back up receivers killing drives.
    Flynn did what you want your QB to do and did it quickly even though he was asked to do so with no prep time and all back ups.

    Personally I think Flynn will force either a trade or release. I would love to keep him as a back up fore er but I just don't believe he will be here. Hopefully he doesn't go to AZ because he would be an immediate upgrade over any QB on the roster and with Fitzgerald to throw to, he could be deadly. Not to mention that defense. He would make that team instantly relevant and next year he is cheap for a starter.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2960
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


Re: Matt Flynn...
Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:29 am
  • Why do people think draft picks are so valuable? They are not more valuable than QBs that can play. Just ask Arizona.
    Image
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2538
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


Re: Matt Flynn...
Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:30 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    hawkfan1975 wrote:denial permeates this thread.

    flynn looked good, threw some very good passes even with a quarter of play in for the first time (on a wide birth score). sharp passes complete and some bobbled by wrs.
    *add: and I still say he beats phx and stl away games prior.

    I think given the same games he throws better than RW, but ....we're going with RW for the youth and wheels (I can live with that, 3 games now and I like what RWs doing and there's more to come).

    we may be able to retain flynn but I doubt it highly.


    there's something wrong with you.


    didn't you try this posts earlier? the witty, one-off in an attempt to seem the know it all. it didn't work then, what makes you think another try will fare better?

    look, if flynn bashing makes you feel safe then great, but how about limiting repeats and letting others talk on this forum as well?
    ok with you?
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 654
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:14 pm


Re: Matt Flynn...
Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:34 am
  • Sorry Rich, no offense but this comment just doesn't compute.


    "Personally I think Flynn will force either a trade or release. I would love to keep him as a back up fore er but I just don't believe he will be here."


    I've heard others express this sentiment and have to ask. What leverage does Flynn have to force a trade? I said before what's he gonna do refuse to play? Remember he's not playing anyway. He's under contract, a damned good contract paying more money than he probably can get anywhere else.

    From his side I think he will have to be here at least 3 years or he is pissing away great money that at his age he can't pass up. He's probably gotten the only big payday he's going to have the opportunity to get so he'd better pay attention to it.

    Sure other teams would maybe like to have him. So what??? We have a good quality backup a luxury few teams have now a days. Money wise cause of Wilson's rookie contract we are proabably below what we would need to spend for 2 QBs.

    Not sure but don't think the team can do a thing about reworking Wilson's rookie contract until the 3rd of 4 years. So why trade Flynn till then? Again, I think he has no leverage at all. Smartest move he could make is stick it out for 2 more seasons. Then look at his options. I'd wager he could stay here at that point with money about like Matt made with the Tits.

    I know that most players would rather play on a losing team than sit on a winning one. But there is the chance here that he could be a hero now and then and still have a rosey retirement. Not get knocked around like so many active players do. Go off into the sunset with enough money to not be forced to work again and have wonderful storys to tell his grandchildren about Grandpa's days in the NFL.

    :les:
    Image
    So close to the real thing.
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18530
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Next


It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information