The Russell Okung appreciation thread

hawksfan515

Reaction score
One of the best LT's in the league this season. He doesn't get enough credit around here.

If he doesn't make the pro bowl at least as an alternate, I will be pissed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's damn good, and has been since he came to the NFL. He got a very bad rap as "injury prone" even though he missed ZERO games in college, and had a few fluke injuries in the NFL.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Signed. He's playing great this year, and I've even seen some ESPN blog writers pick him for the pro bowl.

dunceface

Reaction score
Just yesterday I saw on NFLN someone had our O line picked as the #3 O line performance week 13...

lukerguy

Reaction score
Good idea. He is under appreciated due to being overshadowed by the likes of RW, Tate, Lynch, Rice on offense. He's becoming elite. It's nice to see him progress.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I'd have a lot easier time agreeing with this thread if Okung wasn't among the most penalized linesmen in the league.

He's played great as a run blocker. I love the nasty attitude. But he has hurt us too much with penalties (9 accepted according to Sando - 6 false starts and 3 holds) for me to consider him tops in the league, elite, etc.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Snohomie":1zd7ryku said:
I'd have a lot easier time agreeing with this thread if Okung wasn't among the most penalized linesmen in the league.

He's played great as a run blocker. I love the nasty attitude. But he has hurt us too much with penalties (9 accepted according to Sando - 6 false starts and 3 holds) for me to consider him tops in the league, elite, etc.

I'm pretty sure most of those happened early in the year. The only recent penalty for Okung is probably that hold against the Bears (The BEARS, elite defense there folks).

Maybe for the whole year, not elite. But the last 5 or so games, elite.

bellingerga

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2sbs9g0w said:
Snohomie":2sbs9g0w said:

I'm pretty sure most of those happened early in the year. The only recent penalty for Okung is probably that hold against the Bears (The BEARS, elite defense there folks).

Maybe for the whole year, not elite. But the last 5 or so games, elite.

I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to be tempering their enthusiasm until there's a bigger sample size of games consecutive without huge penalties and/or injuries.

The dude is a flat out beast though from what we've seen. Really like him.... will call him elite myself if he keeps this up for awhile.

sturg78

Reaction score
Most of those came in the beginning of the year when it seemed he was getting used to RW snap count. He has been really good recently at timing it just right although he ALWAYS looks like he is jumping cause he times the snap perfectly. Also, 3 holding penalties all year against everyones best pass rusher (Mathews, Allen, Ware, etc.) is no too bad considering how little he has given up sack wise.

sutz

Reaction score
lukerguy":18cdpctt said:
Good idea. He is under appreciated due to being overshadowed by the likes of RW, Tate, Lynch, Rice on offense. He's becoming elite. It's nice to see him progress.
Well, maybe in the current press, but what really overshadows him is his predecessor. Seahawk fans demand nothing less than perfection from their LT. Walter had some big shoes to fill. It looks like Russ is coming around nicely.

;)

MLTHawk

Reaction score
I was getting a little worried at the beginning of the year, when they kept showing Breno and Okung's penalty numbers. Glad he is overcoming and playing solid ball.