Wilson FedEx Air Player of the Week

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Has any rookie this year won the rookie of the week and player of the week?

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Also, with Griffen winning rookie of the week over RW just goes to show how much it is a popularity contest more than anything.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Did RG3 will rookie of the week? Where did you see that? I can't beleive it at all. He had 163 yards 1 TD and completed 61% of his passes. Those are average numbers. If ever there was a week where he didn't deserve a nomination it was this one.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Congrats RussellWilson.

If this continues, no longer will certain fans of this team be able to gripe that we get no media. I don't recall the Hawks getting this much buzz since Walt and Hutch made Alexander MVP.

I seldom pay much attention to whether or not the (predominent east coast) writers give us props. But what I do like about the buzz is that most players tend to have something of an ego (I don't mean this disrespectfully) and they too clamour for national attention. In my mind, this makes it easier for us to attract the bigger name FAs. The way the FO has been drafting, a key FA here and there could put us on top and over the top.

IF good things come to those that wait, we should be on the verge of some VERY good things.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
How the hell does he get Player of the week and RG3 gets Rookie of the week? Did RG3 Rush for more yards or something?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":149r0qqn said:
How the hell does he get Player of the week and RG3 gets Rookie of the week? Did RG3 Rush for more yards or something?

Because most people focused on his player of the week award, I'm sure many ignored the rookie nod and didn't vote, or voted fewer times than they ordinarily would have. I'm sure the RGIII fans were able to concentrate all their votes into one category.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Allow me to add that if Carroll let RussellWilson run amok like Sham-ahan does *RG3, there wouldn't be much of a discussion here. Wilson actually has to run a pro-style offense. This team first mentality diminishes personal accomplishments. Thank goodness.

*this is not to suggest RG3 is not fantastic. Obviously he is, but the offense he QBs is going to allow for more personal highlights and a good many fans/voters will recognise these death defying runs without considering the bigger picture.

kearly

Reaction score
I have absolutely nothing against RG3 and I think as of now he deserves ROY, but how the heck did he win Rookie of the week? His numbers were the 5th best out of the 5 rookie nominees. Yes, he did beat the 7-5 Giants, at home. But that's not really any more impressive than Luck beating the Lions on the road and way less impressive than what Wilson did in Chicago. Bryce Brown and Josh Gordon had excellent games as well. Talk about your headscratchers. That was actually RG3's least impressive performance in weeks too.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":1sjb213i said:
Allow me to add that if Carroll let RussellWilson run amok like Sham-ahan does *RG3, there wouldn't be much of a discussion here. Wilson actually has to run a pro-style offense. This team first mentality diminishes personal accomplishments. Thank goodness.

*this is not to suggest RG3 is not fantastic. Obviously he is, but the offense he QBs is going to allow for more personal highlights and a good many fans/voters will recognise these death defying runs without considering the bigger picture.

Ummm... you are aware that the Hawks put in the run/read option play specifically because they saw it working for RG3 and since that time RW's stats have gone up a great deal right? He picked up 70+ yards running it last week and was running something that looked darn near exactly what RG3 was running the same day. This was a conscious decision Pete made after seeing what Shanahan was doing with RG3 and why they were having so much success early in the year, and he felt it was a wrinkle that made perfect sense to add to the Hawks offense as a showpiece of it and they realized that it fit RW's skills, speed, ability to quickly read defenses, and so on. It isn't as if RW is running the pro set 50/50 run and drop back pass split and RG3 is running the spread option or the Wildcat. They are running something very very closely related. RW also has the benefit of that bubble screen they threw in a few weeks into the year because RG3 was also having success running it early and it was a way to get the ball moving and complete some passes and open up the middle of the field for the running game and loosen up some coverage on WR's.

Seahox

Reaction score
Umm... SharkHawk, you are a fan, and not a coach, scout, or anything else for that matter......please don't act like you know why things happen on the field. The post you just made is amateur at best. I would love to see you on the Seahawks sideline calling plays......ugh!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":1k63dlo2 said:
Talk about your headscratchers.

Seriously? You don't know how he won rookie of the week? The short version: Sheeple are stupid and most people are sheeple.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
SharkHawk":sc0jhbrf said:
HawkWow":sc0jhbrf said:

Ummm... you are aware that the Hawks put in the run/read option play specifically because they saw it working for RG3 and since that time RW's stats have gone up a great deal right? He picked up 70+ yards running it last week and was running something that looked darn near exactly what RG3 was running the same day. This was a conscious decision Pete made after seeing what Shanahan was doing with RG3 and why they were having so much success early in the year, and he felt it was a wrinkle that made perfect sense to add to the Hawks offense as a showpiece of it and they realized that it fit RW's skills, speed, ability to quickly read defenses, and so on. It isn't as if RW is running the pro set 50/50 run and drop back pass split and RG3 is running the spread option or the Wildcat. They are running something very very closely related. RW also has the benefit of that bubble screen they threw in a few weeks into the year because RG3 was also having success running it early and it was a way to get the ball moving and complete some passes and open up the middle of the field for the running game and loosen up some coverage on WR's.
Seahox":sc0jhbrf said:
Umm... SharkHawk, you are a fan, and not a coach, scout, or anything else for that matter......please don't act like you know why things happen on the field. The post you just made is amateur at best. I would love to see you on the Seahawks sideline calling plays......ugh!
Hey new guy,

There are a lot of knowledgeable people at this forum, including some coaches and players. Shark's post wasn't "amateur" in the least -- he apparently knows more about why things happen on the field better than you know why he wrote about it. He knows Pete made a conscious decision to implement RGIII stuff with RW because Pete told us exactly that!

SharkHawk's post contributed to the conversation. Your post, not so much. If you don't want to come across as a pompous @$$ in the future, don't be so quick to dismiss someone's post with the same lack of respect you showed this time. A little humility goes a long way.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1ww5tttj said:
SharkHawk":1ww5tttj said:
HawkWow":1ww5tttj said:

Seahox":1ww5tttj said:
Hey new guy,

There are a lot of knowledgeable people at this forum, including some coaches and players. Shark's post wasn't "amateur" in the least -- he apparently knows more about why things happen on the field better than you know why he wrote about it. He knows Pete made a conscious decision to implement RGIII stuff with RW because Pete told us exactly that!

SharkHawk's post contributed to the conversation. Your post, not so much. If you don't want to come across as a pompous @$$ in the future, don't be so quick to dismiss someone's post with the same lack of respect you showed this time. A little humility goes a long way.

Not much to add here! Well said.

Seeker

Reaction score
again, already?
oh wait this is last week. i thought it was after todays game. it'll get harder and harder for us to keep track soon.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Seahox":2co9y0px said:

Ummmm.... hey Seahox. Try reading the board rules. If you want to make it personal, then it doesn't belong here. Thanks. Have a terrific day. As far as the "amateur" post I made. it was entirely made up of information I pulled directly from Pete Carroll's pressers which he gives multiple times a week. Try tuning in. You can learn a lot about the team and why they do the things they do. Pete is very forthcoming and a real master at adjusting not only from game to game, but even from series to series, and in particular from half to half. He is a very intelligent guy.

I was paraphrasing what he has been saying for several weeks and why the offense has morphed into what it has, and where they were pulling ideas from. I'm trying to be nice here since you're new and have 3 posts, but I really feel like your comments directed at me were pretty laughable and were really uncalled for. I don't know you, you don't know me, and so you have no reason to pull out the ridiculous commentary saying I should be coaching. I never claimed to be a coach.

One thing that doesn't fly too well here is the "I'd like to see you do better" card when we are analyzing a specific part of the gameplan.... since nobody here is claiming to be the head coach, but merely commenting on what we see and making an analysis of the situation. That is what discussion boards are all about. The other thing that doesn't fly real well is the "you're not a real fan" card. Both of those serve no purpose, and the fact that I don't coach in the NFL doesn't mean that I am not aware of how to call an offense or what might be a good play in a given situation (however, I wasn't doing anything of the sort in this particular post, I was merely repeating what our coach has said repeatedly).

If you want to get into credentials, I am sure we all have some somewhere. I was coached by my father who is a bit of a local legend when it comes to coaching, and then I went on to coach a variety of sports, but found myself more interested in the education side of things and dedicated my life to teaching full time and coaching as a volunteer at many different levels, with many different sports, and with many different teams just for the joy of helping out and having the mindset and skillset passed on to me from some greats to be able to have the opportunity. My dad was taught how to coach by Mr. LaVell Edwards who was his coach and is in the college hall of fame I believe, and I am fairly certain is in the top 10 all time in wins. He taught my father to coach directly when my Dad's playing career ended due to a busted leg that required a bar being placed in it. LaVell Edwards was the man who pulled Mike Holmgren from the high school ranks and made him an offensive coordinator at BYU. He also taught Norm Chow, Steve Sarkisian, Andy Reid, and Mike Leach how to coach as graduate assistants or coordinators. They were all part of the LaVell Edwards coaching tree. So was my father. So am I then I guess. I could be in worse company, right? I guess you never quite know somebody's experience, who they are, or what they know about a sport by just coming onto a message board on day 1 and ripping them apart. But whatever works for you I guess is fine. I just wanted to point out that the statements I made came directly from the Seahawks head coach, who is doing a great job, and I trust his wisdom on coaching a great deal and felt it was worth repeating in case others weren't aware of when, why, and how the offense had changed a great deal as the year has progressed, and how what Shanahan had done with Griffin figured into the equation.

So for what an "amateur" I am.... I am still proud to be a member of this board and participate positively and to have been tutored by some incredible coaches and those who were lucky enough to train under gurus of the sport like Edwards, Chow, Doug Scovil (an early bird in the development of the true west coast offense who worked with Edwards and then later with Chow and Holmgren), Ted Tollner, Leach, Reid, Sark, Jon Gruden, Sherm Lewis, Gil Haskell, and a tree that goes on and on and includes "amateur hour" like myself on it as well. :)

Enjoy your time here at DOTNET. I'm sorry you've closed your mind to possibly learning things from others here just because we happen to post on this board, because although I don't count myself as one of them, there are some X's and O's gurus here that I wouldn't skip a beat allowing them to gameplan for the Hawks for a week or a whole season. They know their stuff as well as anybody I've ever had the privilege of working with, and I've worked with some amazing folks over the years. Not for a second would I be fearful of letting many of these guys run a draft, break down tape for the team, or function as a position coach or an OC or DC and sitting in the booth calling things in real time. There are some here that are just top notch at it and will at some point have a chance to do this as a career. There are several guys here that are superior at calling draft picks and the success rates of players than the "big names" like Mel Kiper. In fact.... the guy we have calling plays for us now (Bevell) comes out of that same coaching tree I was just speaking of above.... but at least he's not an "amateur" like me. Anyway, enjoy your day, and remember that everybody started somewhere, and the great names of tomorrow are many times the nobodies of today that are learning their craft places like here. A few guys that started out posting on this very board have national writing gigs (one is working directly for the NFL as we speak probably finishing up his post game wrap ups right now before he flies by and peruses this very board).