PFT: Sherman has two arguments for his PED appeal

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
First, and as initially reported by Mike Garafolo of USA Today, Sherman claims that he drank from the water bottle of a teammate that had been spiked with Adderall. The teammate has both a prescription and a therapeutic use exemption, allowing the teammate to ingest Adderall, which contains amphetamines.

Sherman has denied that account in text messages sent to Curtis Crabtree of KJR, who works part-time for PFT. However, we’ve confirmed Garafolo’s account.

Second, Sherman believes there were flaws in the method of obtaining his urine for testing.

It’s unknown whether both arguments will actually be advanced at the hearing. Given that the two contentions are somewhat inconsistent (i.e., “I accidentally ingested it” and “the testing methodology generated a false positive”), Sherman would be wise to pick a horse.

The problem is that both horses likely will lose. As to the water-bottle excuse, it won’t matter. Players are responsible for anything that is in their systems. As to the attack on the collection process, the problem is that the procedures for pursuing appeals allow the NFL to refuse to provide most of the evidence that would help the player establish irregularities.

As the source explained, these cases are lost not in the hearing room; they were lost at the negotiating table. Unless and until the league and the union agree to testing procedures that require the NFL to prove with a high degree of certainty the accuracy of the collection and testing of a sample that, if positive, will result in a suspension, players will be at risk of being wrongly suspended.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ed-appeal/

:pukeface: :pukeface: Don't see this suspension getting over turned at all.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sherman give it up today man.. need you more for the Wild Card than the last 4 games.

Shaz

Reaction score
It should have never been in his system to begin with so his argument is moot

Drop the appeal and serve your suspension

Cartire

Reaction score
I have a serious question. Why is Adderal considered a PED? Why is it even tested for? Why does it matter to anyone if the player takes adderal?

salukihawk12

Reaction score
He can come up with the lamest excuses all day long if he can ride it out until next season, in my opinion...

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":1knumd67 said:
I have a serious question. Why is Adderal considered a PED? Why is it even tested for? Why does it matter to anyone if the player takes adderal?

It enhances focus and concentration. It may also allow for higher athletic output for short periods of time.

(It's also addictive and has bad side effects, like all amphetamines, so dangerous to the player.)

pehawk

Reaction score
Sherman has every right to do as he pleases. The NFL has laid out a culture of zero loyalty w/non-guarenteed contracts. His commitment is to himself. This could effect a mans future earnings and marketability.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
The testing protocol thing is in my opinion a very serious issue. I think if he pushes that hard, he might actually get somewhere, in that the league certainly has the responsibility to the players to use best practices when dealing with tests, b samples and the like. I could see the players union interceding on his behalf if he believes his initial positive was in error and his b sample was mis handled or lost.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3vxmljms said:
Sherman give it up today man.. need you more for the Wild Card than the last 4 games.
What makes you think we make the playoffs with out either of these guys for the rest of the season?

It would be nice to have both of them back for the playoffs, but need to get there first. Staggering the suspension gives us the best chance of getting to the dance first

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Just one more way for the NFL to make sure only the money teams advance in the playoffs. The refs work to advance the money teams. The NFL picks on the Seahawks during training camp to make an example of the no contact rules. Now this. Of all the players in the NFL they could choose to go after, they choose our two pro bowlers to gut us right before the playoffs. And they don't even have to prove what they say is true.

What crap.

Cartire

Reaction score
BocciHawk":30fsnwuw said:
Cartire":30fsnwuw said:

It enhances focus and concentration. It may also allow for higher athletic output for short periods of time.

(It's also addictive and has bad side effects, like all amphetamines, so dangerous to the player.)

So then what your saying is it gives you an unfair advantage on the field. So wouldnt players with prescriptions be given an unfair advantage? And being that these organizations can procure plenty of medical staff to prescribe medications, why wouldnt teams just give prescriptions to every player that wanted it?

razgriz737

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2ttfzii0 said:
Just one more way for the NFL to make sure only the money teams advance in the playoffs. The refs work to advance the money teams. The NFL picks on the Seahawks during training camp to make an example of the no contact rules. Now this. Of all the players in the NFL they could choose to go after, they choose our two pro bowlers to gut us right before the playoffs. And they don't even have to prove what they say is true.

What crap.
I don't buy this. There are more players being accused of violating the drug policy than just BB and Sherm, and some are on "money teams". Here's the list so far:

Andre Brown - Giants RB (suspension overturned)
Brandon Browner - Seahawks CB
Jermaine Cunningham - Patriots DE
Joe Haden - Browns CB
Joe Hawley - Falcons C
Will Hill - Giants S
Tyler Sash - Giants S
Richard Sherman - Seahawks CB
Aqib Talib - Patriots CB
Eric Wright - Bucanneers CB

Cartire

Reaction score
razgriz737":3qfat33h said:
SalishHawkFan":3qfat33h said:

What crap.
I don't buy this. There are more players being accused of violating the drug policy than just BB and Sherm, and some are on "money teams". Here's the list so far:

Joe Haden - Browns CB
Joe Hawley - Falcons C
Will Hill - Giants S
Tyler Sash - Giants S
Aqib Talib - Patriots CB

Well, technically, only probowl caliber players are on low market teams. The other guys are replaceable and dont really hurt their team.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Cartire":xdv536mg said:
razgriz737":xdv536mg said:
SalishHawkFan":xdv536mg said:

What crap.

Joe Haden - Browns CB
Joe Hawley - Falcons C
Will Hill - Giants S
Tyler Sash - Giants S
Aqib Talib - Patriots CB

Well, technically, only probowl caliber players are on low market teams. The other guys are replaceable and dont really hurt their team.
Fair enough. Admittedly, I don't follow any other teams closely enough to know whether any of those guys make a difference.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
razgriz737":3kn3dzan said:

Joe Haden - Browns CB
Joe Hawley - Falcons C
Will Hill - Giants S
Tyler Sash - Giants S
Aqib Talib - Patriots CB

Notice how many are DBs...

razgriz737

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2iw60opm said:
razgriz737":2iw60opm said:

Joe Haden - Browns CB
Joe Hawley - Falcons C
Will Hill - Giants S
Tyler Sash - Giants S
Aqib Talib - Patriots CB

Notice how many are DBs...
That is odd.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Cartire":s0gupuza said:
BocciHawk":s0gupuza said:
Cartire":s0gupuza said:

So then what your saying is it gives you an unfair advantage on the field. So wouldnt players with prescriptions be given an unfair advantage? And being that these organizations can procure plenty of medical staff to prescribe medications, why wouldnt teams just give prescriptions to every player that wanted it?

Prescriptions are irrelevant. You can't take it even with a prescription without first applying with the NFL for an exemption which takes into account medical history and whatnot. It's a rigorous process and very few get the exemptions.