Pete on RW as a quarterback

Zowert

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been on here before. I just thought I had to share this.

[youtube]PiSWskMbLgQ[/youtube]

I have heard coaches speak this highly of elite veteran QB's like Brady or Manning, but never a rookie. Sounds like Russ spends more time at the Hawks practice facility than anyone on the team. This kid is definitely going to be an elite QB if he keeps up that kind of work ethic.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Nice find Zowert, thanks!

Wow, almost sounds how people spoke of Michael Jordan. Not to put him on that level yet but people would always mention something similar to what Carroll says at the end about Russ... he's just got the undying belief that nobody can stop him.

NYCoug

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2u8g4fxn said:
Kid simply has the burning desire to be the best which manifests itself in a work ethic that rivals guys like Jordan.

Best part about it is that it manifests itself throughout the locker room and it becomes contagious. Nobody will want to let this kid down. We saw in Chicago that when Russ elevated his game, the receivers and the rest of the offense did the same. Hopefully it rubs off on the defense, especially with the Browner/Sherman situation.

I'm sure fans of other teams are seeing threads like this and freakin out saying "Hawks fans are nuts! They're comparing Russell Wilson to MJ! Jokers!" haha and I'm cool with that. It feels damn good to have a player/person the caliber of Russell Wilson leading the team. My mind explodes into bits all over my computer screen when I try to comprehend that he's still just a rookie and that there's a chance he could get even better...

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
That type of dedication is contagious, RW is the best thing to happen to this franchise, perhaps ever.

OP
OP
Zowert

Zowert

Reaction score
NYCoug":yhlwq4f1 said:
Nice find Zowert, thanks!

Wow, almost sounds how people spoke of Michael Jordan. Not to put him on that level yet but people would always mention something similar to what Carroll says at the end about Russ... he's just got the undying belief that nobody can stop him.

Very true. That belief is one thing all of the greatest professional athletes have/had in common. Tom Brady, Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan, Ty Cobb, etc.

And you're right about work ethic and the will to win being contagious. I don't think its a coincidence that Golden Tate went from running multiple bad routes a game to becoming one of the better receivers on the team when RW arrived.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It is so weird that any of this stuff mattered to Pete when Flynn threw for 480 and 6 against the Pack last year, though.

OP
OP
Zowert

Zowert

Reaction score
I don't think anyone would have imagined a QB just under 5'11" who was drafted in the third round (and many thought the third round was too high) would end up in the same conversation as Luck and RG3 towards the end of their rookie year.

A lot of people overlooked Russell Wilson. I mean, how many quarterbacks play most of their college career then end up on a different team with a completely different system their senior year. AND not only lead his new team to a Rose Bowl, but set an NCAA passing efficiency record and throw 33 touchdown passes on 3,175 yards. Oh and he also managed to squeeze in six touchdowns on 300+ yards rushing the ball. That is insane for a college QB that had to learn a whole new playbook in a matter of months.. If that's not enough, he was a drafted in the MLB twice. Being good enough to get picked up in the 4th round and be assigned to Colorado's minor league system.

Wilson achieved a lot in a short period of time. Everything he did during his college years showed he had everything it takes to be an NFL quarterback, but his height cast a shadow on all of that. Lucky for us though, if he was 6'4", he would have been a first round pick and I doubt the Seahawks would have drafted him.

If RW keeps this up, he is going to be the steal since Tom Brady. Actually, Russell Wilson was more of a gamble than Tom Brady because there were still a lot of good players left in the third round and the Hawks had already signed a QB good enough to be a starter. While Brady was picked up in the sixth round with very little expectations on him.

OP
OP
Zowert

Zowert

Reaction score
jamsomatic":195do96d said:
By the way, Zowert, I find your moustache alarmingly attractive.

Thanks..? Hahaha.

Quick story about that photo. I was able to grow a really thick mustache when I was younger when a lot of my teammates had little more than peach fuzz. While playing football and hockey I was known for my mustache, which sucked because I would have rather been known for being a good player (even though I was average at best, and that was in Division I-AA). Anyway, I shaved my mustache off after school and when I went back to Ogden to hang out with my old teammates, they saw my stache gone. So they got me a fake mustache for our pictures because that's how they wanted to remember me.

I apologize for posting off-topic. Nothing going on here at work this morning.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Remember those few outspoken posters who said that Pete and John didn't care about the QB position and also didn't know what it took to get a decent one? Yeah...those were the days

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete talks this way about his dog groomer. "The way Bernice grooms my Trixie is amazing, I mean it's so cool to see a woman so committed to her craft the way Bernice is committed. I knew from the first time I watched her groom that she was something special......so much poise, so much preparation."

Veilside

Reaction score
The most amazing thing about this isn't what Pete says, but when he says it.....

This was from back in July.

OP
OP
Zowert

Zowert

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3fb3kvfp said:
jamsomatic":3fb3kvfp said:
By the way, Zowert, I find your moustache alarmingly attractive.

Do you still find it so after being told it's completely fake? :)

I would put a photo up of when I had a real mustache, but the real thing made me look like a bigger creep than the current photo. Looking back at it, I realize why a lot of girls didn't talk to me in college. All I needed was an old beat up Camaro to complete the package.

OP
OP
Zowert

Zowert

Reaction score
Veilside":t3y8xkzt said:
The most amazing thing about this isn't what Pete says, but when he says it.....

This was from back in July.

Thank you. I was trying to figure out when that video was filmed. I figured it was sometime during the summer since he is speaking a QB camp. The fact Pete thought so highly of Wilson even before he played a game in the NFL is amazing. I think this confirms Pete's uncanny ability to find talent in players that every scout discards.

I wish we had John and Pete the year we drafted Aaron Curry because they most likely wouldn't have drafted him. We would have had a much better player, or at least someone that is still on the roster.

Hawks46

Reaction score
What really makes this whole thing hard to wrap my mind around.....and this will make your head explode:

Wilson has improved steadily the entire season. If he continues this trend, just for this season, he's already good enough to win a Superbowl.

Thing is, most experts will tell you a QB actually starts peaking around year 4 or 5. Look at guys like Rivers and Eli Manning. Pretty much right there. Guys like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees were better earlier, but they still peaked around year 3 or 4.

So, how good could Wilson actually get ? It's almost frightening.