Gil Brandt wakes up from his nap, realizes R. Wilson is good

hawkfan333

Reaction score
he is such a douche bag he talks crap about any seattle player

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan333":11f3u7yu said:
he is such a douche bag he talks crap about any seattle player

I've actually heard him gush over Bobby Wagner, so that's not comepletely true. And his Wilson comments aren't exactly negative.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think he was talking about personality and character comparisons to Flutie. And I'm pretty sure the size thing. Other than that, I don't see the similarities.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Isn't he the guy who described Russell as a career backup when Russell was drafted?

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":3nbotjv7 said:
Isn't he the guy who described Russell as a career backup when Russell was drafted?

Scott Pioli did that. Maybe Gil Brandt did too.. I don't know

Happy

Reaction score
Isn't he the guy who photographed babies for a living before Landry hired him to wash the team golf carts?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The funniest thing about all this is that when Gil Brandt tells stories about the Cowboys drafting in years past, he tells these experiences about how there are guys in Canton who the Cowboys scouted but passed on because they didn't match the Cowboys metrics on player dimensions. They were one of the first teams to use that type of metrics in an age when most teams drafted based on published scouting guides. It is always funny to hear Gil go on and on about any quarterback who is from Texas as well.

Fast forward to now when Russell goes in the third because he doesn't match metrics. Those metrics can be a pretty good guide, but in truth our defense is built around taking advantage of the exceptions. Red, our tall corners and short safety, all exceptions to at least part of the metrics rules. I am glad we don't have a standard approach.

Lately, I have see more than one writer point out that Seattle passed on Wilson twice as well. Which makes me laugh when you find out that our GM was a nervous wreck from the first round on, and almost took him in the 2nd just to makes sure we got him. It's just a way of calling his success luck.

misfit

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":1vrndqy6 said:
sc85sis":1vrndqy6 said:

If you're talking about on draft day, it was Bill Polian. He said "every team needs a good backup QB. Russell Wilson is that."

jkitsune

Reaction score
misfit":t3m8n28p said:
Hollandhawk":t3m8n28p said:
sc85sis":t3m8n28p said:

If you're talking about on draft day, it was Bill Polian. He said "every team needs a good backup QB. Russell Wilson is that."

Technically, this was true.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
misfit":1fboqmpo said:
Hollandhawk":1fboqmpo said:
sc85sis":1fboqmpo said:

Bill "The Genius" Polian. :sarcasm_off:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":4n2pdcf2 said:
Sorry, lost me at the Doug Flutie comparison. I hate that crap.

He said he's better than Flutie. Even all the tall QBs are compared against other similar QBs in terms of physical traits.

OP
OP
CANHawk

CANHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ix0w520 said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3ix0w520 said:

He said he's better than Flutie. Even all the tall QBs are compared against other similar QBs in terms of physical traits.

Much like the way Payton Manning is always being compared to Dan McGuire. It's a perfectly reasonable comparison...

HawksFTW

Reaction score
CANHawk":14cjguk1 said:
Russell Wilson would be the greatest back up quarterback to ever live.

Wilson is the worst backup QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.

mikeak

Reaction score
CANHawk":382cmm2i said:
RolandDeschain":382cmm2i said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":382cmm2i said:

Much like the way Payton Manning is always being compared to Dan McGuire. It's a perfectly reasonable comparison...

At this point in their careers Flutie have had much greater success overall........ it is a fair comparison to say that it is a much better version of Doug Flutie in my mind.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
HawksFTW":1c0fxttx said:
CANHawk":1c0fxttx said:
Russell Wilson would be the greatest back up quarterback to ever live.

Wilson is the worst backup QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.

True, he started preseason as the backup and lost that spot to Matt Flynn in only three weeks!