ESPN is bringing up Goldengate...again

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
ESPN is bringing up Goldengate...again
Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:37 pm
  • On ESPN NFL frontpage. I urge fans not to read or take part in the comments section. It's kinda infuriating.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/50222/kicking-off-the-nfc-playoff-standings

At the moment, the NFL's "Fail Mary" is directly impacting the playoff position of three teams in the NFC. There are four long weeks remaining before the postseason is set, but it's reasonable to believe that Tate's disputed touchdown reception -- a play that gave the Seattle Seahawks a 14-12 victory over the Green Bay Packers as time expired -- will weave its way into the 2012 playoff tapestry.
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

• They're just looking for drama.

Seriously, it's so stupid. Like that was GB's only loss. How about all their other losses, they are somehow less impactful ? Oh, that's right, they somehow only count as half a loss, while the one received at our hands counts double.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Hawken-Dazs wrote:On ESPN NFL frontpage. I urge fans not to read or take part in the comments section. It's kinda infuriating.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/50222/kicking-off-the-nfc-playoff-standings

At the moment, the NFL's "Fail Mary" is directly impacting the playoff position of three teams in the NFC. There are four long weeks remaining before the postseason is set, but it's reasonable to believe that Tate's disputed touchdown reception -- a play that gave the Seattle Seahawks a 14-12 victory over the Green Bay Packers as time expired -- will weave its way into the 2012 playoff tapestry.

Good!
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Good for the packers, I hope it does screw them. They are going to write about it no matter what, we knew this from the time it happened.
    GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!
    Wiseguy
    NET Rookie

• Wiseguy wrote:Good. for the packers, I hope it does screw them. They are going to write about it no matter what, we knew this from the time it happened.

And I hope ESPN chokes on it the entire post-season!
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Seifert is the Mike Sando of the NFC North. Team is in his division and he gets kudos from them by bringing this up. Sort of like what Graziano is doing with his rankings where he will not rate the Seahawks any higher than a team with one less win.

It is an exercise in futility but it helps his page hits. Redskins would be the 2nd wildcard seed **if** the world was lollipops and rainbows.

Cry me a river and count me in when the Superbowl trophy is awarded to the team that deserves it and not the team that happens to get some really nice breaks. This is the essence of sports all those jokers claim to love.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Ugh. We may combatting this bullshit well into the playoffs and you know darn well that we will need to beat Green Bay handily to overcome any 'justice-seeking' by the NFL and its officials.....

Let's just get homefield please.
    'The bevell is in the details.' -BFS
    jamsomatic
    NET Starter

• I hope we meet them in the playoffs and run for 260 yards while keeping the ball for 45 minutes, allowing Rodgers a couple of 3 and outs to the tune of 45 - 0! Skunk!
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• LOL...this is evil but Tate should start doing the "Discount Double Check" and the "fist pump" touchdown dances :p
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Yep, building up the hype for another rematch in the playoffs. They sense that Seattle will be in the playoffs and causing a stir.

If Niners retain the 2nd seed, Seattle owns tiebreakers over both GB and Chicago and would be the higher seed WC spot in the event of a tie with either.
    It's very possible: Chicago=6th seed, Seattle=5th seed, Giants=4th seed, Packers=3rd seed at the end of the season. We'd play the Giants in the first round leaving Bears and Packers to duke it out. We'd be fying across the country but playing on fieldturf rather than those other crappy grass surfaces though.
    Last edited by Russ Willstrong on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:LOL...this is evil but Tate should start doing the "Discount Double Check" and the "fist pump" touchdown dances :p

Oh man...he'd probably start getting mailed packages of cheese covered in anthrax.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:LOL...this is evil but Tate should start doing the "Discount Double Check" and the "fist pump" touchdown dances :p

I approve.
    AVL
    NET Starter

Lmao, I would love for that to happen if we face them in the playoffs.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

How about this:

Discount Double Check move followed by his schoolgirl laugh.
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

Re: ESPN is bringing up Goldengate...again
Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:10 pm
  • Russell Wilson to packers fans: "i made up for my amazing game winning pass to beat you by making two gamming winning passes to beat the bears and give you first place in your division. now stop crying and see me in the playoffs. "
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:10 pm
  • jamsomatic wrote:Ugh. We may combatting this bullshit well into the playoffs and you know darn well that we will need to beat Green Bay handily to overcome any 'justice-seeking' by the NFL and its officials.....

Let's just get homefield please.

we will be dealing with this shit for the life of the Seahawks. (foreever mark my words, it will be brought up 10 years from now) The media creates what it wants and perpetrates for ever. To this day lies and other lies are continued in the media as truths. They are above the facts. They only want the power of making the populace believe what they want for their own agenda.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:29 pm
  • I will say to this the same thing I say to bad ref calls: Make better plays sooner and don't let RW and Tate into the position to embarrass your team. Just because it was the last play of the game doesn't mean it was what won the game. Stop the Seahawks earlier, score more TD, Run the clock out, etc.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:04 pm
  • It was a flippin legit touchdown, I hope everyone who thinks otherwise gets the boubonic plague and dies. If you are one of the 12th man, I don't hope you die but you can still catch the flu or something uncomfortable.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 pm
  • CaptainSkybeard wrote:It was a flippin legit touchdown, I hope everyone who thinks otherwise gets the boubonic plague and dies. If you are one of the 12th man, I don't hope you die but you can still catch the flu or something uncomfortable.

+1 Virus
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:46 am
  • I hope we get in with plenty of room to spare and then smash the packers. Shut up all the rabble.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• Instead of Fail Mary, I prefer to call it The Hand of Tate.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• I love it. I hope it's the deciding factor in Seattle getting a bye.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• the refs had nothing to do with it. The reason we are talking about it is the same reason the Bears took us to OT last weekend. The DB messed up. Jennings blew it, just like Sherman did with the Bears. Time is running out, the ball is up for grabs, you frikin KNOCK IT DOWN! Jennings could have swatted that ball into the 4th row and this would have never have been talked about.
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

• Hawken-Dazs wrote:On ESPN NFL frontpage. I urge fans not to read or take part in the comments section. It's kinda infuriating.

"disputed"...

lots of disputed calls in the NFL this season. Regardless, Tate's catch will be a major talking point as the next 4 weeks of "what if" scenarios take place, and teams start to fall out of playoff position will look to it as an excuse.

I dont mind ESPN bringing it up (and atleast they called it "disputed") as it is still a big part of the season.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• An institution such as ESPN loses all credibility (if they had any to start with) when it starts posting obviously biased reports blathering such as this. It is a sport (or at least it’s supposed to be) and sportsmanship is (or at least it’s supposed to be) part of the game. Bad calls are made every day in the league, some with major ramifications, some not so major. In his article he claims that the packers are “over it”. They themselves may in fact be, but quite obviously the Packer Fan-base and the ethically questionable sportscasters such as this are obviously not! Not by a longshot!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• If people give you crap about it, just remind them of the 2010 season in which the Packers won the SB. They only made the playoffs as the #6 seed because of officiating error (which the League stated) in a game against Minnesota. No one whines about it (except Vikings fans) because it benefited the Packers. But when the shoe is on the other foot, the whole country is in uproar.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• They are trying to get clicks. This will get clicks from every fan in the nfc playoff race.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:I love it. I hope it's the deciding factor in Seattle getting a bye.

My thought exactly. I would love to see both Seattle and GB at 11-5, but Seattle gets the first week off and home field advantage the next.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• when we get a formal apology from the NFL and awarderd our much deserved superbowl victory, i will then give a rats ass about that call, ( which was Legit )... till then , suck it, suck on it, and suck it up.. hope they don't make it because of us.. if they do, bring it.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• HawkFan72 wrote:If people give you crap about it, just remind them of the 2010 season in which the Packers won the SB. They only made the playoffs as the #6 seed because of officiating error (which the League stated) in a game against Minnesota. No one whines about it (except Vikings fans) because it benefited the Packers. But when the shoe is on the other foot, the whole country is in uproar.

:13: :13: :13: :13: :13:

I made a post about this while the entire country was losing it's mind after our game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ight-game/
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:18 am
  • Wouldn't it of been hilarious and amazing is Green bay missed the playoffs by one game? god! that'd be so damn beautiful.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:39 am
  • SeaTown81 wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:If people give you crap about it, just remind them of the 2010 season in which the Packers won the SB. They only made the playoffs as the #6 seed because of officiating error (which the League stated) in a game against Minnesota. No one whines about it (except Vikings fans) because it benefited the Packers. But when the shoe is on the other foot, the whole country is in uproar.

I made a post about this while the entire country was losing it's mind after our game.

That post is where I learned about this issue, which made the whole thing even more outrageous. I linked it to Sando and asked him if he'd consider doing an "alternative reality" blog where GB doesn't get into the playoffs and a legitimate champion crowned. I also think that Seifert is bitter that Seattle totally exposed his NFC North boys on their home turf, with the two winning drives being shown over and over and over on national tv.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:43 am
  • I LOVE it.......Our team was actually the beneficiary of a questionable call.

Chopin' fish on LSD
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:52 am
  • I want Tate to spike the ball on the G at center field like TO did to the star in Dallas.

If they're gonna hate you anyway, then GIVE them something to hate you for!
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:35 am

So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:47 am
  • A friend of mine (vikes fan) went to the MN at GB game this weekend and I tried my hardest to get him to wear a Tate jersey but he wouldn't do it.
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 am
  • SeaTown81 wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:If people give you crap about it, just remind them of the 2010 season in which the Packers won the SB. They only made the playoffs as the #6 seed because of officiating error (which the League stated) in a game against Minnesota. No one whines about it (except Vikings fans) because it benefited the Packers. But when the shoe is on the other foot, the whole country is in uproar.

I have tried twice to post this info on PFT when they mention the "Fail Mary" and my post about the 2010 Packers has been deleted both times. Must be Packers fans running that site.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:56 am
  • Please Please Please let us play the Packers in the playoffs! OR, I like the idea of them missing by one game.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:30 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Please Please Please let us play the Packers in the playoffs! OR, I like the idea of them missing by one game.

Both sound fun. Depends on what you want. Want people to shut up about golden gate? Gotta win. Want the maximum amount of tears from the packers and to strengthen their hatred for us? They miss by one game.

Worst case scenario we play them in the playoffs and lose. Then we continue to hear we didn't deserve the win.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:33 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:I want Tate to spike the ball on the G at center field like TO did to the star in Dallas.

If they're gonna hate you anyway, then GIVE them something to hate you for!

Was that the time he ran to the star after scoring like the 'boys did and got blasted physically by some Dallas defensive player for daring to do it?

:roll:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:35 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:
    SeaTown81 wrote:

I have tried twice to post this info on PFT when they mention the "Fail Mary" and my post about the 2010 Packers has been deleted both times. Must be Packers fans running that site.

I've had mine deleted on the topic before too. It's a joke. Pretty sad actually. Completely civil well thought out post gets deleted in place of the drivel that's mostly posted there.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information