Football Outsiders: Wilson has best rookie QB game ever

49fansince70

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3jflkpx5 said:
This is very impressive. Russell Wilson had the best rookie QB game in the history of Football Outsiders stats with his win over the Bears.

DangeRuss, indeed. God, I love this man. :179417: Suck it, Luck & RG III!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick- ... uick-reads

Not to take anything away from Wilson, who (IMO) is the best QB in the West, and could stay that way for years to come, there are some pretty iffy names on that list, like Cade McNown, Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Rick Mirer. It's a great accomplishment, but not really a predictor of future success.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
49fansince70":nswf283n said:
RolandDeschain":nswf283n said:
This is very impressive. Russell Wilson had the best rookie QB game in the history of Football Outsiders stats with his win over the Bears.

Not to take anything away from Wilson, who (IMO) is the best QB in the West, and could stay that way for years to come, there are some pretty iffy names on that list, like Cade McNown, Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Rick Mirer. It's a great accomplishment, but not really a predictor of future success.

You are right. But the little pieces of evidence are starting to paint a damn pretty picture, aren't they?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
49fansince70":ql6792to said:
RolandDeschain":ql6792to said:

Someone's gettin scared.

Sac

Reaction score
49fansince70":gfpkkdto said:
RolandDeschain":gfpkkdto said:

If you want to see a predictor of future success do a google search the Football Outsiders, the Asterisk and Lewin Career Forcast.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
49fansince70":1cxkhygi said:

I didn't say it was, though to SOME extent, I think it is. Remember, the Bears this year are rating as one of the best pass defenses in the history of the league. Look at their DVOA value on Football Outsiders. Pass defense is -40.2%, that is INSANE. Next best, Arizona with -22.0%.

For a rookie QB to drive 97 yards at the end of the 4th quarter and score, then to do it for 80 yards in overtime in Chicago...raw stats simply don't tell the whole story. That kind of pressure, and he came up big, as a rookie. I smell future league MVP awards for Wilson. That's not just homerism, either; he's simply got that "it" factor in a big way.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":32w3c7vb said:
49fansince70":32w3c7vb said:

I didn't say it was, though to SOME extent, I think it is. Remember, the Bears this year are rating as one of the best pass defenses in the history of the league. Look at their DVOA value on Football Outsiders. Pass defense is -40.2%, that is INSANE. Next best, Arizona with -22.0%.

For a rookie QB to drive 97 yards at the end of the 4th quarter and score, then to do it for 80 yards in overtime in Chicago...raw stats simply don't tell the whole story. That kind of pressure, and he came up big, as a rookie. I smell future league MVP awards for Wilson. That's not just homerism, either; he's simply got that "it" factor in a big way.
I will be honest here, I don't know if I can recognize homerism any more, not when it comes to Wilson.

gargantual

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2xls609f said:
49fansince70":2xls609f said:
RolandDeschain":2xls609f said:

Someone's gettin scared.
Yup.

Be scared Whiners. Be very scared....or as my little one would say, "a-scared!"

kearly

Reaction score
I never thought much of Ryan Lindley. He always struck me as the kind of QB that the Arizona Cardinals would draft (fittingly enough, they did just that). I know that he was just a rookie making his first start and all, but I think FO summed him up pretty well.

All right, get this. Lindley's first pass of the day was complete to Larry Fitzgerald for 23 yards. From that point to the middle of the fourth quarter, he went 8-of-26 for 33 yards with one interception, one sack, and NO FIRST DOWNS. Finally he hit Michael Floyd for 16 yards on second-and-10. And then he went incomplete, incomplete, incomplete, sack, game over, one-point loss. I'm sure Ryan Lindley's a nice guy. But he's not an NFL quarterback.

Unfortunately, that performance was so terrible that he probably won't start against our team this weekend. Wisenhunt is being coy against naming his starter. I respect the guy as a coach, but he needs to go fudge himself with not naming QBs before playing our team. It's really annoying. I'm looking forward to his imminent firing at some point in the next month.

ivotuk

Reaction score
My favorite quote:

"He did all this against the Chicago Bears, which regular QR readers will know by now has been by far the league's best passing defense. Wilson became the tenth player this year to throw at least 30 passes against Chicago, but the first to do so without throwing an interception"

Latest posts