Would you accept Matt Hasselbeck in 2013 as Wilson's backup?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Just spit-balling here, this has no rumor behind it or anything.. but say the Seahawks move Flynn to the Jets or something for a pick and the Titans cut ties with Hasselbeck.

Would you welcome Hass back to be the vet backup behind Wilson? It would give us a solid guy to have just in case something happened to Wilson, while at the same time allow Hass to retire as a Seahawk.

Thoughts?
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• With zero hesitation.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• No.

He doesn't fit our offense.

This ship has sailed.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Yes.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I'd take it if he wanted to be here. He's basically Flynn but older.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• At some point I hope we sign him back, at least for a game, so he can retire a Seahawk. I don't know if I'd want him back in case RW gets hurt though. He hasn't looked too great this season for the Titans and he doesn't fit our offense at all.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Honestly, I kind of hope we keep Flynn around. He may have been overpaid with this big bonus, but as his contract progresses, the salaries aren't that bad.

But IF we trade or in some other way, get rid of Flynn, AND the Titans let Hasselbeck go, I wouldn't mind his being a backup. Although I think I'd just rather he sign a one day deal and retire a seahawk that way.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:With zero hesitation.

This
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Absolutely
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• As long as he knows his role! This might be the house that Hass built, but Wilson's going to put in hardwood floors, a walk-in humidor and a pool!
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• It's a tough question, honestly. He'll be 38 years old early in next season, and while it would be nice to have a vet with plenty of game experience as our backup, I'd be concerned over having a guy that old and with Hass' injury history. And that's obviously not considering what he means to our franchise.

Difficult call, and I can see pros and cons all over the place.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Nope, he doesn't fit what we want to do and he isn't a serviceable QB at this point in his career. That era is over.....lets keep it that way.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Sign him for one day and let him retire a hawk.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• What, Dave Krieg isn't available?
    * NET Staff *

• Pete Carroll would never go for it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• They would be better off drafting/developing a young QB late in the draft, develop & then trade.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• experience wise man that would be tough to say no to.. but his age, plus his body is just beaten down. think i would have to pass...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Bring back Hass!! Bring back Hass!!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Nope sorry Matt
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

• i would bring him back as qbs coach nothing else sorry guys
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• 100% Yes!
    Sometimes a Great Notion !
    Drazzaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I fully expect Flynn to be gone this off season. There are to many teams in need of an upgrade and Flynn right now is the best option available. Plus I fully expect Flynn to demand a trade or release and if possibly make some threats to be public about it if the Seahawks don't comply and based on everyone's expectation of him being our starter and being unexpectantly bypassed by Wilson, I can't imagine teams would hold it against him if he were to make demands.

That being said, I think we need to draft a QB early, that can be developed but that will likely be someone who may not be immediately ready and having a mentor like Hasselbeck, who could also fill the back up role if needed, IMO would be the best case scenario.

Matt's play this year has been up and down but that entire Titans team is a complete mess. There is something seriously wrong with the way they are running that team and it shows with the inconsistency they display from game to game.

If we had to rely on Matt for a couple games with our running game and defense plus with a better receiving core than Matt has ever had to throw to, I think Matt would do fine in our system if Wilson went down for a game or two.

Not to mention at this stage of his career we could get him likely close to the league minimum and he could retire a Seahawk. Plus if we were to win the super bowl, he would get his ring he so much deserves. If not for officiating, he would have an NFL MVP trophy to go along with it. Unless you think his chop block was to violant.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Our offensive line has barely improved from 2008. He'd still get battered.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Nope. Time to move on. We need to let go.

And Flynn is probably still going to be in Seattle next year. There were a ton of teams needing a QB last year too and they decided free agent Matt Flynn for $10m guaranteed wasn't the answer. So why is someone going to decide - actually, now that he's a year older and not won the job in Seattle, we'll pay some of that contract and also give up a draft pick too.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• My answer is most likely no. I wouldn't want Hass as the next in line guy if something bad happened to Russell.

BUT... If we were to talk of an imaginary scenario where your backup never sees the field, I'd take Hass in a second. Russell is the man, an awesome leader, a crazy student of the game, and everyhing else. But I would still really like to give him a vet who has been there before as a mentor on the sidelines. Kind of what Hass had with Dilfer. Russell doesn't currently have that. There is no accounting for experience. Even the most talented young players can benefit from mentorship. Hass would be the perfect guy for that role with Russ. A selfless vet who has been through it all. A great teammate with little ego.

Can we just sign Matt as a highly paid qb coach? ;)
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• I wouldn't like it. It's a feel good story, but we are a football team, and those moves won't help us win games.

Things you want your backup QB to be/have:

1. Not injury prone, as if your starter and #2 go down, then you are in trouble. Hass is injury prone.

2. In PC's offense, not TO prone. PC hates INT's and Fumbles. Hass lacks arm strength so he is INT prone and such. We saw this his last year here.

3. Some upside, just in case (god hope not) Russ goes down to a season/career ending injury, and the backup has to play all season. And it's also nice if you can fetch a few picks for your backup. #1 and #2 are a lot more important though.

4. Low cost. This is the only area where Hass would beat out Flynn.

I'd take Flynn.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• im surprised by how many people would want him back. personally i think this is his last year but i would love for him to retire a seahawk. The guy was a great leader, a good team personality, and was part of the reason we got to the superbowl. As a backup qb in 2013 however, i dont see it happening even if it was an option and flynn was traded.
    AnchoviesofTerror
    NET Starter

• I'd rather not. Hasselbeck is my all time favorite Seahawk, but the only way this could make sense is if there was a significant financial savings from Matt Flynn or if the team traded Flynn for a good draft pick- both strike me as unlikely. And if all things were equal, I'd much rather have Flynn stepping in than Hasselbeck.

MontanaHawk05 wrote:Our offensive line has barely improved from 2008. He'd still get battered.

That's not even close to being true. In fairness to your argument, I doubt he'd last more than 4 games behind anything less than a stellar pass pro line.

SeaTown81 wrote:BUT... If we were to talk of an imaginary scenario where your backup never sees the field, I'd take Hass in a second. Russell is the man, an awesome leader, a crazy student of the game, and everyhing else. But I would still really like to give him a vet who has been there before as a mentor on the sidelines. Kind of what Hass had with Dilfer. Russell doesn't currently have that. There is no accounting for experience. Even the most talented young players can benefit from mentorship. Hass would be the perfect guy for that role with Russ. A selfless vet who has been through it all. A great teammate with little ego.

FWIW, Wilson already has a veteran QB mentor in Warren Moon. Maybe Hasselbeck could teach Wilson how to be more spontaneous and fun in interviews though. That would be nice.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:Maybe Hasselbeck could teach Wilson how to be more spontaneous and fun in interviews though. That would be nice.

He is loosening up a little bit as time goes on. I think back to Hasselbeck when he first started here, he wasn't nearly as endearing as he was at the end of his career. You have to figure, Wilson is still feeling his way out through all of this, I am sure by the time his 4-5 season rolls around, his candor will show up a bit more.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

• Hell. Yes.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• I'm curious as to who some of you would rather have as a backup if not Hass, as the whole premise of this hypothetical scenario is that Flynn is not an option.
    Last edited by razgriz737 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• no
    Pinch me, I'm dreamin right?
    HommyHawk
    NET Rookie

• No. He is really limited in what he can do. Time for him to hang it up. The only way I would sign him was for a 1 day sign and retire as a Hawk.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Yes. To talk to Russ, not play. Russ will break favre's consecutive starts record.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• In a heartbeat. He's my all time favorite Seahawk and I'd love to see finishing his career in Seattle. I think he could be a good game manager in case he had to play a couple of quarters. And if we eventually win the superbowl he could have his ring! But that's just me.
    MexHawk
    NET Rookie

• kearly wrote:FWIW, Wilson already has a veteran QB mentor in Warren Moon.

Not the same as having a vet with you on the sidelines and in the locker room during the week.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• razgriz737 wrote:I'm curious as to who some of you would rather have as a backup if not Hass, as the whole premise of this hypothetical scenario is that Flynn is not an option.

How about someone who won't be 38 years old within the first month of next season?
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• nope
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:I'm curious as to who some of you would rather have as a backup if not Hass, as the whole premise of this hypothetical scenario is that Flynn is not an option.

How about someone who won't be 38 years old within the first month of next season?

I didn't mean Hass was the only good answer, I'm just legitimately curious. A lot of the posters who said "no" said they would rather have Flynn, but the question specifically said Flynn is not an option.
    Last edited by razgriz737 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• I know it's not part of the scenario, but I would take Hass as the third string as long as we had a legit second string. That way, you have the experience factor for Wilson's development and Matt would have (having agreed to the role when signing the contract) no thought of taking over the starting role and complete focus on developing Russell. Just my two cents.
    BobcatHawk
    NET Starter

• Hasselbeck wrote:Just spit-balling here, this has no rumor behind it or anything.. but say the Seahawks move Flynn to the Jets or something for a pick and the Titans cut ties with Hasselbeck.

Would you welcome Hass back to be the vet backup behind Wilson? It would give us a solid guy to have just in case something happened to Wilson, while at the same time allow Hass to retire as a Seahawk.

Thoughts?

I will answer your question with more questions.

Do you want Hass to retire as a Hawk for sentimental reasons, or do you really think he both fits the offense and gives us a good chance to win if Russell gets hurt?
    Do you think there is much chance this front office would want Hass?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• razgriz737 wrote:I didn't mean Hass was the only option, I'm just legitimately curious. A lot of the posters who said "no" said they would rather have Flynn, but the question specifically said Flynn is not an option.

To be honest, I couldn't even tell you who's available. It just seems like as a fanbase, we don't know when to let go. Half the board were desperate to get Holmgren back when Ruskell got fired. Now we're discussing whether we'd like Matt Hasselbeck to come back aged 38 to be a backup and mentor for Russell Wilson - who hasn't needed a mentor or a big name backup for that matter so far.

I'd rather just remember that team... Hass, SA, Big Walt, Holmy etc... for the era they created and that one great year that got this team to the big game. We've moved on now. Different era. Whoever backs up Wilson... he just needs to look good holding a clipboard.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Hass has an 83 rating, a 62% completion percentage and more TD's than INT's this season. He's still plenty good enough to be a reliable back up for 1 more season.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• I'd love to see Matt Hasselbeck back in Seahawk blue. However, and I'm sure I"ll be bashed for this, but I'd be completely in favor of bringing Mike Vick in to back up Russell next year if we do indeed get rid of Flynn. In fact, I think he's a better fit in our offense than either Flynn or Hass. Just throwing it out there.
    decaff907
    NET Rookie

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Hass has an 83 rating, a 62% completion percentage and more TD's than INT's this season. He's still plenty good enough to be a reliable back up for 1 more season.

We're also running zone read in Seattle, tons of bootleg and play action, run option. I'm guessing that's here to stay. We're taking shots downfield. We're not running a timing, short passing system. Would it not make sense to concentrate on signing a backup who can keep the offense as it is should Wilson pick up an injury?
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• What would be the advantage of having a 38 year old player be our backup besides the nostalgia factor?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• decaff907 wrote:I'd love to see Matt Hasselbeck back in Seahawk blue. However, and I'm sure I"ll be bashed for this, but I'd be completely in favor of bringing Mike Vick in to back up Russell next year if we do indeed get rid of Flynn. In fact, I think he's a better fit in our offense than either Flynn or Hass. Just throwing it out there.

I actually kinda agree, but I think he'd demand way too much money.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Hass has an 83 rating, a 62% completion percentage and more TD's than INT's this season. He's still plenty good enough to be a reliable back up for 1 more season.

We're also running zone read in Seattle, tons of bootleg and play action, run option. I'm guessing that's here to stay. We're taking shots downfield. We're not running a timing, short passing system. Would it not make sense to concentrate on signing a backup who can keep the offense as it is should Wilson pick up an injury?

It would absolutely make sense. It would make perfect sense.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• decaff907 wrote:I'd love to see Matt Hasselbeck back in Seahawk blue. However, and I'm sure I"ll be bashed for this, but I'd be completely in favor of bringing Mike Vick in to back up Russell next year if we do indeed get rid of Flynn. In fact, I think he's a better fit in our offense than either Flynn or Hass. Just throwing it out there.

Me too.

But as a NFL fan I want to see Vick start one last time. Love watching him play too much when he's on. Here's to the 2013 Bills being lead by Vick!
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• I love Hass but his time has come and gone, he will be 38 and isn't very good anymore. Doesn't fit this offense at all. He casts a pretty big shadow here. I'm not into sentiment, I'm into winning football.

I see no reason not to roll with Flynn again, he has proven to be one of the best backups in the league. Between him and Russ we're still paying below average on the QB position.

Hypothetically, I'll play: if no Flynn, Tjack if available. Warrior and highly respected in the locker room, can win games with this team, knows the offense and could learn/operate the read option.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information