Schefter: Appeal date set for Sherman, not for Browner

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Per Schefter

RT @AdamSchefter: Appeal of Seahawks CB Richard Sherman’s four-game suspension is scheduled for Dec. 14, which means he will play Sunday against Arizona.

Also regarding Browner:

RT @AdamSchefter: Still no appeal date set for Seahawks CB Brandon Browner.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
I actually think that Sherman playing this weekend turns out to be very bad news for the Hawks, unless of course the ruling is overturned. I would much rather have him miss the Arizona game than the first playoff game. Actually with it being the 14th (which is a Friday) it probably means he'll be available for the Bills games as well unless they pretty much instantaneously make a ruling and would start his suspension in less than 48 hours after the appeal is heard.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":6b9vvtpx said:
I actually think that Sherman playing this weekend turns out to be very bad news for the Hawks, unless of course the ruling is overturned. I would much rather have him miss the Arizona game than the first playoff game. Actually with it being the 14th (which is a Friday) it probably means he'll be available for the Bills games as well unless they pretty much instantaneously make a ruling and would start his suspension in less than 48 hours after the appeal is heard.

I agree. I'd rather bite the bullet before the playoffs.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Either way, if he is suspended (which is very likely), it will at least give us some time to get the backups up to speed before playoff time.

zayden185

Reaction score
Get it over with please!

is there a backup at the NFL league office for appeals?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
They are going to have a hard time MAKING the playoffs without these guys.

You push theses suspensions back as far as you can.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
zayden185":33dxjyz5 said:
Get it over with please!

is there a backup at the NFL league office for appeals?

I remember reading that the NFL actually set a priority on pushing these appeals through. I think the delay is due to the nature of the appeal, in that the actual testing procedures are being called into question, so both sides need time to prepare experts and/or witnesses to the events. It is a bit different than appealing a fine/suspension from on the field play, or off the field conduct. Those things are essentially set in stone by the CBA, and both the NFLPA and the NFL know how much they can push on each side, and the whole process is just a review of the facts. Failed PED/banned substance tests are a lot more complicated, and have in the past pushed all the way to higher level courts.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1x2dn46w said:

I agree. They are not going to help you out much in the playoffs, if there are no playoffs. Staggering would be ideal.

How long after an appeal does it typically take for Genaralisimo Goodell to make a decision? Is it as fast as same day?

SirTed

Reaction score
I've spoken with a few people about this but I haven't seen it posted:

What about the possibility of a reduction to the suspension? Is that possible? Probably unlikely, but it seems to me to a compromise, if in fact that Browner and Sherman have ANY leg to stand on as far as their appeals. if the testing procedure could be questioned maybe they'll reduce the number?

razgriz737

Reaction score
rjdriver":2lsdu3ww said:
Tech Worlds":2lsdu3ww said:

I agree. They are not going to help you out much in the playoffs, if there are no playoffs. Staggering would be ideal.
I think that's assuming that the drop off will be HUGE from BB/Sherm to our backups. I don't know who Pete will start in their places, but we don't really know how good or bad our backups are yet. Remember when Sherm was like 3rd or 4th string? There's no reason to think lightning can't strike twice.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
They have been staggered before

@thomasbeekers: For example, Sherman drops now and gets suspended, Browner tries to get it schedule two weeks later. Talib/Wright did something similar.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Walter Thurmond is a starting caliber NFL CB when healthy. We're not signing loan officers off the street to fill in here, we're expecting legitimate NFL players to step up and do what they're paid to do. Will there be a drop-off? Sure. However, in talking with people that know Carroll's scheme, CB is one of the more fungible positions. If we were to lose Earl it would be a way bigger blow than if we lost Sherm or Browner, regardless of how great we think those two are. Pete relies on his safeties more than his CBs.

Digsbone

Reaction score
He just needs to face the music and get it over with, I hate to see the Hawks without him I just don't see how holding out will help the team.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Digsbone":27ahzro5 said:
He just needs to face the music and get it over with, I hate to see the Hawks without him I just don't see how holding out will help the team.

If he is not guilty it makes all the sense in the world to appeal.

Basis4day

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2upazcxg said:
Digsbone":2upazcxg said:

If he is not guilty it makes all the sense in the world to appeal.

It helps the team if he wins his appeal. Sherman isn't an idiot. If he knew he didn't have a shot at appeal i'm sure he would just accept it.

Cartire

Reaction score
These last 4 games, barring SF, should be wins for us regardless of having the duo. Having them out now would be highly ideal. I would rather have backups vs az, stl, buf, then having them against GB, CHI, NY in the playoffs.