Hate to bring this up...where is the weak link?

NJHawksFan

Reaction score
Our defense sucked today. Let's face it. Our normal scapegoats of Trufant and Hill were out and the D sucked equally as much.

A lot of people will blame the pass rush. I thought guys like Clemons Mebane Jones Irvin were supposed to be good pass rushers? Are we willing to turn our backs on them now? Where does the blame lie?

Are we willing to put some responsibility on our championed players like Chancellor Thomas Browner or Sherman?

Thurmond seemed to hold up pretty well today so that's a plus. But what was the cause for the crappy play today?

ludakrishna

Reaction score
I blame it on the field. We don't suck as much on turf. Which is why i'm rooting to play vs the Giants in the playoffs.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Poor choice of going with a zone by the coaches.

And, the middle of the field. Teams are attacking us on the middle, and winning. It's Wagner. Some drops are too shallow, some are too deep. He'll be fine, but these are things that you have to deal with when you start a rookie.

sturg78

Reaction score
Linebackers in coverage. Our zone sucks because...well soft zones always suck, but also because it seems that our linebackers have very little instinct when it comes to pass defense.

grizbob

Reaction score
" But what was the cause for the crappy play today?"
As I still haven't seen the game I'm gonna say playing on the road in Chi Town :mrgreen:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Linebackers aren't supposed to be stopping Brandon Marshall.

The pass rush is the problem. Bruce Irvin has been figured out by offensive lines, and Jason Jones is no longer having a verifiable impact. As far as Alan Branch, I don't know what you guys saw in him. He's a mediocre, replaceable guy in the vein of Tapp and Sims.

Also, Bradley needs to get some blitz packages going.

Mase

Reaction score
-- How about you look at it, as when you play a division leader on their home field, maybe they will be pretty good. They scored two TDs today, one on a short field after a turnover, and another after a BS hands to the face call at the start of the drive. Brandon Marshall is really, really good. Cutler is solid and Forte is a weapon. We shut down their TE game today, we crushed their run for most of the game, and we kept Marshall from the "big" play. (Other, obviously, than the gaffe at the end of regulation.) Larry Fitzgerald can have 10 catches next week for 100 yards, if we shut down EVERYTHING else.

-- Our pass rush was actually pretty good today considering how little we blitzed. Just give the other team some credit for something every now and again. We did enough to win on the road, we aren't going to shut teams out. Other teams have good players too.

Mase

captSE

Reaction score
Well, on offense what about Zack Miller and DangeRuss hang out for a while - get to know each other or whatever they do. Its not very often they throw to Miller but how many misses they have in not even seeing each other or Wilson not see him anyway.
I really think that Miller is underused and surely open so many times.

$0.02

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Hmmm, really? The Bears only achieved 50 more yards passing than their average, and were held under their rushing average and more than a full TOUCHDOWN under their scoring average. Let's face it, the Bears are a good team, and we just beat them IN THEIR STADIUM, ON THE ROAD. Are there still areas the defense needs to shore up? Yes. But to say they were a weak link? Phhhht.

purpleworld

Reaction score
Weak link? Both our Coordinators call plays with the idea of NOT wanting to lose instead of trying to dictate a win....we need more plays where we attack the opponents...both offensively and defensively!

AgentDib

Reaction score
I agree with Jazz and Mase.

- Not having Tru and Hill was a negative for us, and it is completely asinine to think their injuries are a plus. They were playing vs. Miami because the coaching staff thought they gave us the best chance to win regardless of what you think. Do you think they were just playing because they had blackmail material on the coaching staff?

- Cutler and Marshall are talented, have great chemistry with each other, and deserve just a little bit of credit for some of those acrobatic plays.

- This was a huge game for the Bears in terms of them winning their division, and we limited their running game and held them well below their average in their home field in a 10 AM road game.

- They had a ton of close calls go their way in this game. They also put the ball on the ground a couple of times and had it bounce right back to them.

- Their first TD came after the debatable Lynch fumble where they started with a short field. On the next defensive possession, we forced the turnover on downs that completely changed the momentum in the game.

I can see why you would be upset if your goal is to have ESPN calling our defense the #1 defense. If you just care about the Seahawks winning football games, then you can appreciate a good performance from our defense on the road to keep us in the game until the end of the fourth when our offense could win it for us.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
AgentDib":nspj548o said:
I agree with Jazz and Mase.

- Not having Tru and Hill was a negative for us, and it is completely asinine to think their injuries are a plus. They were playing vs. Miami because the coaching staff thought they gave us the best chance to win regardless of what you think. Do you think they were just playing because they had blackmail material on the coaching staff?

- Cutler and Marshall are talented, have great chemistry with each other, and deserve just a little bit of credit for some of those acrobatic plays.

- This was a huge game for the Bears in terms of them winning their division, and we limited their running game and held them well below their average in their home field in a 10 AM road game.

- They had a ton of close calls go their way in this game. They also put the ball on the ground a couple of times and had it bounce right back to them.

- Their first TD came after the debatable Lynch fumble where they started with a short field. On the next defensive possession, we forced the turnover on downs that completely changed the momentum in the game.

I can see why you would be upset if your goal is to have ESPN calling our defense the #1 defense. If you just care about the Seahawks winning football games, then you can appreciate a good performance from our defense on the road to keep us in the game until the end of the fourth when our offense could win it for us.

Great points. This is what we take away from this one. This and the W!

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Our corners are not at all weak links but still need polish. Sherman needs to develop more of a shutdown corner mentality than trying to ballhawk and intercept everything. If he'd just reach out to bat down the ball rather than waiting for it to reach his bread basket on that 50 yard laser by Cutler. Browner needs to be more physical with Marshall because he obviously can't run with him. It felt like the refs were biased against us in this game so maybe it wasn't so bad they played soft in stretches.