Help me win an argument

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
There is a lot of random football conversation in my office. We have a large population of Cowboys and Redskins fans, so they tend to cancel each other out. Yet, I found myself having to defend Russell Wilson when one guy decided to make the statement in a discussion about QB's that "Russell Wilson is totally overrated, not a great QB at all". (I should note I live in SC, not WA)

These were his points:

He is a "game-manager"
He has not thrown for over 300 yards once
He has a low yards-per-game average
He can't win on the road
"Other quarterbacks have more completions than he has attempts"
"He cant throw a long ball, its all dink-and-dunk"

I tried to tell this guy that his passer rating and completion percentage are the best of any rookie besides RG3. I tried to tell him that his attempts are low because Seattle is run-first. I tried to tell him that he is 4th in rushing yards among QB's, and that he escapes pressure with the best of them.

I think he is representative of many outside observers of Wilson. The bottom line is he is stuck on this stupid "game-manager" label, which may be loosely based on fact but still inaccurate.

I don't know what it will take to please this guy or others like him. Playoff-win? I asked him if he would consider Wilson a good QB if Seattle got a playoff win. His response "it will never happen, Seattle can't win on the road"

In the same breath, this guy (Dallas fan) is drinking the Kaepernick kool aide and thinks he is the re-incarnation of Joe Montana after 2 games.

This might just be anti-Seahawks bias as well. He, and almost everyone else in my office has taken to calling the Seahawks cheaters, with the combination of the Tate catch and the Sherman and Browner PED issue as evidence - possibly the only two Seahawks news stories they read all season.

I am focusing on this one guy, but I have seen this general stance by most people around here, and since I am far from Seattle I see the "national perspective" all the time.

Jac

Reaction score
With respect to "dink and dunk", link him to this (essentially a Wilson TD highlight video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy6qUZWZzJc

Even though (totally overrated) Andrew Luck has 169 more attempts than Wilson, he has four fewer TD passes.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Its all dink and dunk? I haven't seen that at all this season, ask Tom Brady whats up with that dink and dunk.

I don't know whats in the water where you live though, I know a few people outside of the PNW, and they all think Russell is the truth.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Clearly the guy has no football intelligence and you will not be able to convince him even if you talk until your blue in the face. I imagine he probably uses the same arguments over and over as "evidence" by stating them louder and faster over the top of you while you try to explain anything.

OP
OP
CaptainSkybeard

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
I will try to show him the videos. Hard to argue with that.

When I asked him if he had watched many of Seattle's games besides the Dallas game he said "i tried but I fell asleep watching him give the ball to Lynch over and over"

Sigh.

VHawk

Reaction score
CaptainSkybeard":214txa16 said:

When I asked him if he had watched many of Seattle's games besides the Dallas game he said "i tried but I fell asleep watching him give the ball to Lynch over and over"

Sigh.

AKA he doesnt know what the flip he is talkin about.

The Radish

Reaction score
Why would you get in such a conversation anyway? You never can win those types of things.

And when you cry to the rafters how good your player really is you're merely making them believe you aren't so sure yourself.

I do coffee with a group and they are the same way. I learned years ago to let them argue with themselves. After all what 'Boys fan can do much crowing about Tony Romo now a days?

:roll:

AgentDib

Reaction score
"Great" is a subjective concept anyways, and it may well be premature after 11 games. Why do you care if they think he is great or not?

We have a better chance of making the playoffs than either WAS or DAL, that is what I would be hanging my hat on if I was you.

ensett

Reaction score
It seriously sounds like that guy knows more about fantasy football than football, and doesnt actually watch RW play. Yards are a number, not a skill. A quarterback doesnt win on the road, a team does, RW has individually won on the road with beastly performances. And as far as the long ball, that's what proves what I said about him not watching. Ask the Packers and Pats how they feel about that.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
CaptainSkybeard":3eywfnpo said:
He is a "game-manager"
He can't win on the road

#4 was on Wilson for the first four road games, yeah. But he's improved dramatically in the last two, and anyone making judgments purely on a rookie's first four road games is an idiot anyway.

#6 tells me he isn't actually watching the games.

The rest are all byproducts of Seattle not asking him to throw as much.

Lots of ESPN zombie-watchers are stuck believing that it's not an NFL offense unless it's an air-raid offense, so that's part of it. But judging from his "fell asleep watching him give the ball to Lynch over and over" comment, it's clear that he knows Seattle's offensive intentions perfectly well and is just looking for reasons to diss the Seahawks. Ask him how his Cowboys are doing.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":2mjk0ya5 said:
Clearly the guy has no football intelligence and you will not be able to convince him even if you talk until your blue in the face. I imagine he probably uses the same arguments over and over as "evidence" by stating them louder and faster over the top of you while you try to explain anything.
This, and when he says "He cant throw a long ball, its all dink-and-dunk" I have to wonder if he saw that laser to Syd that won the Pats game? Not that he'd give credit or anything. Eff ALL Cowpatties homers.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The last one I disagree with. The first statement of him being a game manager, well that's really because coaching won't let him be more.

The rest? Well.. you can't really argue them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ask him how many td's to interceptions Romo has this season and what the Cowboys record is with their deep ball non game manageing QB? Montana was a game manager that could win you games if the running game wasn't working much as Wilson is beginning to show progress on. RAC is the name of that game, Wilson has a cannon that can break close zone coverage if the defense tries to crowd the mid field area as well.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
chris98251":20jr4iri said:
Ask him how many td's to interceptions Romo has this season and what the Cowboys record is with their deep ball non game manageing QB?

He might want to wait until Monday for that.. since Seattle and Dallas could both be 6-6 tomorrow night

chris98251

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2zvuvjnn said:
chris98251":2zvuvjnn said:
Ask him how many td's to interceptions Romo has this season and what the Cowboys record is with their deep ball non game manageing QB?

He might want to wait until Monday for that.. since Seattle and Dallas could both be 6-6 tomorrow night

Well we all know that the Cowboys do best when they have a Glory Hole to play for :)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
CaptainSkybeard":2a9ntexx said:
There is a lot of random football conversation in my office. We have a large population of Cowboys and Redskins fans, so they tend to cancel each other out. Yet, I found myself having to defend Russell Wilson when one guy decided to make the statement in a discussion about QB's that "Russell Wilson is totally overrated, not a great QB at all". (I should note I live in SC, not WA)

These were his points:

He is a "game-manager"
He can't win on the road

I tried to tell this guy that his passer rating and completion percentage are the best of any rookie besides RG3. I tried to tell him that his attempts are low because Seattle is run-first. I tried to tell him that he is 4th in rushing yards among QB's, and that he escapes pressure with the best of them.

I think he is representative of many outside observers of Wilson. The bottom line is he is stuck on this stupid "game-manager" label, which may be loosely based on fact but still inaccurate.

I don't know what it will take to please this guy or others like him. Playoff-win? I asked him if he would consider Wilson a good QB if Seattle got a playoff win. His response "it will never happen, Seattle can't win on the road"

In the same breath, this guy (Dallas fan) is drinking the Kaepernick kool aide and thinks he is the re-incarnation of Joe Montana after 2 games.

This might just be anti-Seahawks bias as well. He, and almost everyone else in my office has taken to calling the Seahawks cheaters, with the combination of the Tate catch and the Sherman and Browner PED issue as evidence - possibly the only two Seahawks news stories they read all season.

I am focusing on this one guy, but I have seen this general stance by most people around here, and since I am far from Seattle I see the "national perspective" all the time.
First off say, 27-7 bitch, your team got spanked by Russel Wilson.

Tell him the only way Tony Romo is going to a Super Bowl is if he buys a ticket.

Laugh at him and say your GM is Jerry "freakin' Jones!!!!!!

In all seriousness Cowboys fans are one of the dumbest fanbases in all of sports

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
CaptainSkybeard":zkvc8ueb said:

Sigh.
Yeah, that can be less exciting then to watch Tony "the human turnover machine" Romo cough up the ball to the opposing team, I'll give him that!

Latest posts