Will the condition of the field be a factor on Sunday?

edogg23

Reaction score
It's been pretty apparent that one of the things that really hurts our pass rush is playing on the road.
Soldier field this time of the year usually has one of the worst playing surfaces in the NFL. Do you guys think the poor condition of the field is going to have a negative effect on our D? I am thinking it will definately slow down Irving and Clemons from getting to Cutler. Also as a side note there is a 40% chance of rain on Sunday.

jamsomatic

Reaction score
As you may know, the Vikings played in Chicago last week. One of the local radio guys (former Viking) described the field there as "milky" whatever the hell that means. He said the Vikings equip manager was well aware and already equipped the team with cleats specifically suited for that field.

I recall having some traction issues there a couple years ago.

Hope we don't face that variable unprepared tomorrow.

grizbob

Reaction score
Well, RW did mention in his presser that he has played there before and said something negative about the field, don't recall exactly what it was. :?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
John Carlson should have no concussions this time.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2u37zqzw said:
John Carlson should have no concussions this time.
Huh?

We're playing the Bears, not the Vikings. Carlson is now with the Vikes.

sutz

Reaction score
Yes, it probably will, and not to our advantage, either.

One of our road problems is the grass fields. We're not used to it, so we have problems. :229031_shrug:

muxpux

Reaction score
edogg23":2kjx4kl7 said:
It's been pretty apparent that one of the things that really hurts our pass rush is playing on the road.
Soldier field this time of the year usually has one of the worst playing surfaces in the NFL. Do you guys think the poor condition of the field is going to have a negative effect on our D? I am thinking it will definately slow down Irving and Clemons from getting to Cutler. Also as a side note there is a 40% chance of rain on Sunday.

this thread is stupid.

for Chicago, IL sunday the 2nd
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 61. West southwest wind 5 to 15 mph.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Soldier Field is # hole! How can they get away with such a piss poor playing surface?

If I was an owner, I'd do what they do and have the worst field and only let my players know all the safe spots to make plays from.

Hawks46

Reaction score
This could be an advantage. Have Scruggs rush the passer more than Irvin. He's big enough to bull rush through the RT and screw with Cutler.

The advantage to us will be on offense. The Bears haven't been that great against the run this year, and they don't run the ball all that well either. Muddy, crappy fields really cater to a run heavy offense.

If it isn't raining, a crappy field helps WRs too; they know where they're cutting, but the defense doesn't, reacting causes you to cut and push off harder.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
Both teams play under the same field conditions. Then again our coach is Pete "the cheat" Carroll so we probably won't be prepared.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
muxpux":3p5kg728 said:
this thread is stupid.

for Chicago, IL sunday the 2nd
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 61. West southwest wind 5 to 15 mph.

People are referring to the fact that Chicago does not take great care of its field, not the weather conditions themselves. Think of a crappy golf course where they don't replace divots except once every few months...

I'm honestly surprised more players have not broken ankles on Soldier Field.

Latest posts