Season ticket question

lukerguy

Reaction score
Hello all from Calgary, Canada. I've been considering purchasing season tickets for years...My question is, how much above face value, do tickets go for on ebay or stubhub? Ideally I would like to go to 1 or 2 games a year and come close to breaking even.

Has anyone ever done this? How much time is required to complete the sale of the 10 tickets a year? Every time I look for tickets, they seem pretty scarce, so it seems like a market that it may be worth while.

Anyone with experience in this or who can comment on ticket prices would be greatly appreciated.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I would rather you not have them if you are going to just resell them.

Too many opposing fans get thier tickets thru guys that do this.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
I would attend every game if I was able. I'm not sure if you know your Canadian geography, but Calgary is about a 14 hour drive. Sure, I can buy my 1 to 2 games a year, but then I never have a shot at a playoff game. To say that you can control opposing fans obtaining tickets it a little naive. I usually attend 2 games a year, one in Seattle, and one away game. With airline ticket prices, I likely spend $2500 a year on my Hawks and I get to see only two game- so please don't give me the "I'd rather you not have the tickets...bull" as if I'm a fair weather.

I'd be more than happy to resell to Hawks fans if this was possible. I haven't seen a ton of action in the classifies, so I'm not sure if this website is much of an avenue.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
lukerguy":2grqh3jx said:
I would attend every game if I was able. I'm not sure if you know your Canadian geography, but Calgary is about a 14 hour drive. Sure, I can buy my 1 to 2 games a year, but then I never have a shot at a playoff game. To say that you can control opposing fans obtaining tickets it a little naive. I usually attend 2 games a year, one in Seattle, and one away game. With ticket prices, I likely spend $2500 a year on my Hawks and I get to see only two game- so please don't give me the "I'd rather you not have the tickets...bull" as if I'm a fair weather.

Everyone can control who they sell thier tickets to. I'll eat mine before I let an opposing fan sit in them. If more people had my attitude perhaps we would have less of the bad guys in our stadium.

I admire that you spend a lot of money. Commendable. I would just prefer that people like you, those that sell to the highest bidder on EBAY, just not have season tickets.

Sensitive? I never called you a fair weather fan. I would just prefer that you not have season tickets if you're going to sell them to non Seahawks fans.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Can you suggest an avenue that would allow me to sell them to only Seahawks fans? I don't live in the area, so it's not like I have a network in Seattle.

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
I'd inquire on Seattle CL if there was anyone looking to split season tickets...

Or try to find someone on here.

LusciousJames

Reaction score
lukerguy":u3ecs5ks said:
Hello all from Calgary, Canada. I've been considering purchasing season tickets for years...My question is, how much above face value, do tickets go for on ebay or stubhub? Ideally I would like to go to 1 or 2 games a year and come close to breaking even.

The problem is you have to pay full price for two preseason games, and those tend to resell for way below face value (like 25% or less). That alone might make it hard to break even. Any markup you make on the remaining regular season games you don't attend is subject more to the opponent than anything else... the Green Bay game this year was worth a lot, while the Arizona & St. Louis games will probably be worth just face, if that. Plus when you're in your first year you won't get the most desirable seats, which further hurts the street value.

If you can only go to one or two, you're probably better off sticking with trying to buy single game tickets when they go on sale, or hitting the resale market and budgeting some time to do a lot of research & comparison shopping. Or, possibly waiting to see if the team offers a partial season package; they've done that in the past. The few remainders would be easier to resell.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Just buy single-game tickets.

I've got season tickets, and selling them is pretty easy if you do it on Seattle Craigslist, but people generally want to meet in person and exchange hard tickets. I was offering to email tickets to people, but literally every single buyer wanted to meet in person to get the ticket. I don't really blame them because if you get ripped off on Craiglist, you don't have much recourse. You could try selling them on ebay or the Seahawks actually have a ticket reseller service through Ticketmaster that works pretty well. In fact, if you're only going to a few games a year, and want playoff tickets, the Ticketmaster/StubHub route is better and easier than trying to resell 6 games at a profit. Remember, they force you to buy 2 preseason games as well. So that makes it a bit harder to break even. Ticket prices generally fluctuate by how the Seahawks are doing and who they're playing.

As to playoff games, it's just easier and cheaper to buy them when they become available. Last time we had a home playoff game (New Orleans), there were tons of tickets available for the first day. Me and my friends ended up buying some tickets up in the 300 level near the 50 yard line because we wanted a different view. We were able to get the tickets by calling their ticket sales number the day they announced ticket sales. They had plenty - for about an hour or two.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Just noticed the post before mine. Didn't mean to be redundant.

One other thing:

It's generally pretty easy to get single game tickets if you shop for more expensive seats in better areas. The cheap seats go fast, and the 300 level sells out pretty quickly and is hard to get into for single games and playoffs. Forget about the Hawks Nest and South End Zone, those areas are really cheap and are pre-sold for years in advance mostly. But you don't really want to sit there anyway. The Hawks Nest is cool in theory, but it's a crappy way to watch the game, especially if you're flying in from out of town.

If you're willing to drop a little extra coin, you should have no problem getting into the Club 200 level. If you're flying from Calgary and staying in a hotel, the extra $50 per ticket shouldn't be an issue.

And when I say it's "easy" to get into Club, I just mean it generally sells out a lot slower. This year, I bought my season tickets in Section 211 (Club - visitor side, near the 30 yard line, excellent view, hard liquor served at bar, best food and bathrooms, really the best place to be). I had waited until the last minute to buy season tickets because I had purchased a huge flat panel instead. Russell Wilson got me so fired up that I ended up calling up the ticket sales office shortly after the Denver preseason game, and was able to purchase 8 seats together in Club 211 without a problem. They even cut me a deal on the price because I had skipped preseason and charged me $150/game per ticket (face value is $230). My buddy called a few days later and got 4 more tickets right next to me for the same price, so we were able to get 12 total tickets without paying for preseason.

Worth a mention.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Man, really helpful stuff. Thank you very much. I guess the preseason games make it much less desirable if they only go for 25% of face value. As long as I can get a shot at a playoff game, that is my primary objective. As well as i'd like to think that one day I could have a vacation home in the Seattle area and see many home games a year.

Do you guys think that as the Hawks progress, that it will become increasingly difficult? How hard was it to get tickets during the NFC championship and Super Bowl years?

BocciHawk

Reaction score
It's essentially impossible to get any $$ for preseason tickets. Routinely I've eaten them after only being offered $5 or $10 for them...

If you call the reps now, they might be able to get you an idea of what kind of seats are available, but unless things have changed, most of what they have are club level seats (fairly expensive, and harder to resell) and 300 level seats in the corners fairly high up.

As far as the season ticket holder base is concerned, the area got pretty excited for Mike Holmgren and the new stadium. There was a pretty good sized waiting list for the first couple years after SBXL* so I would say that now is better than later, for sure, as I think this team is going up...

That said, I personally would not buy season tickets with the idea that I would use one or two of them, and sell the rest. It would be a lot of work, and you'd be better off just buying single game tickets for those games. The playoff situation is definitely a bit of a complication -- but those tickets go on sale to the public at weird times, and they are expensive, so it's pretty common for them to take a while to sell out, especially the club seats (which are spendy)... but that's an alternative to StubHub or whatever.

Latest posts