Russell Wilson: 2nd in QBR since Week 5 behind only Brady

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
I am checking out advance stats on pro football reference website. Russell Wilson ranks top 10-15 in most categories now but he is #27 When it comes to attempts. That means he is not throwing much compared to other QB's in the league but whenever he is throwing then he is making the most out of those opportunities.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":t9mm7o2e said:
I am checking out advance stats on pro football reference website. Russell Wilson ranks top 10-15 in most categories now but he is #27 When it comes to attempts. That means he is not throwing much compared to other QB's in the league but whenever he is throwing then he is making the most out of those opportunities.

That is basically what the 49ers did with Alex Smith last year and he had a career year. Don't let him throw a lot, but when he does, put him in position to be good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Bears have been holding opposing QB's to like a 60 passer rating, so it'll be interesting to see how Wilson performs against the Bears D. Good test.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
And yet he averages 186 yards a game.

He's making all the right throws. The safe ones. But at some point this coaching staff needs to take the training wheels off this kid. The fact they're not doing that is odd. Either they don't think he can handle it, or we have some terrible play-calling going on right now.

When you don't play the game to win, you open the door for games like Arizona, Miami, St. Louis and Detroit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3qr4r60x said:
He's making all the right throws. The safe ones.

While I agree Pete and Bevell need to let Russell throw it more, it's not entirely fair to say ALL they let him do is make the safe throws. Wilson's thrown a ton of long balls, and has 17 TD's.

IMO it's pure arrogance on Carroll's part to try and run the ball so much, when even he admits Wilson is flourishing in the passing game right now. I don't care what the hell happened the last eight games of last year running the ball, this team DOES NOT have the O-Line to run the ball at will..........either Pete will admit it, and let Russell throw it around a little.......or he won't and we'll lose 2-3 more games.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3cwlx2bo said:
SeahawksFanForever":3cwlx2bo said:

That is basically what the 49ers did with Alex Smith last year and he had a career year. Don't let him throw a lot, but when he does, put him in position to be good.
And then they replaced him. Not sure that's a good formula in the long run. We'll see.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1xpjdfi9 said:
HawkFan72":1xpjdfi9 said:
SeahawksFanForever":1xpjdfi9 said:

And then they replaced him. Not sure that's a good formula in the long run. We'll see.

Psst, Kaepernick hasn't thrown for any more attempts in a game than Wilson has, really.

He played almost 4 quarters against the Rams and attempted 17 passes.

Full game against the Bears and threw 23. Another full game against the Saints and threw 25. And they ran the ball more times than they threw it in both of those games.

In other words, they haven't changed the formula in any way. They just changed the player.

rideaducati

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1d4ndb89 said:
SeahawksFanForever":1d4ndb89 said:

I think that IF Pete let Russell throw the ball 40 times a game that Russell would do great. I can't wait to see a game where they let him air it out 40 times.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
"We shouldn't start Russell Wilson because we are wasting this defense.... Flynn would do much better. "

Haven't heard that said in awhile.

OP
OP
Fox0r

Fox0r

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3fzgqf9o said:
The thread title should read "Since Week 5", not week two.

Nice catch! I fat-fingered the topic title, but the body text was correct. I fixed the title. Thanks for pointing that out.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
And his escapability is phenomenal - and a key for this offense. I still believe Flynn would be getting KILLED in the pocket this season. Wilson had escaped from so many bad situations, and either ran or thrown it for positive yards.

themunn

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2v02o0dq said:
HawkFan72":2v02o0dq said:
SeahawksFanForever":2v02o0dq said:

Wilson has thrown as many TDs in 11 games as Smith managed all of last year though

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2a0ws95p said:

Exactly! He is doing well of what we ask him, but we need to start asking him to do more!

gargantual

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1d621wvi said:
And yet he averages 186 yards a game.

He's making all the right throws. The safe ones. But at some point this coaching staff needs to take the training wheels off this kid. The fact they're not doing that is odd. Either they don't think he can handle it, or we have some terrible play-calling going on right now.
^This.

Still wondering why we didn't air it out against the dolphins when the run wasn't working (and not picking up/wearing them down as the 3rd quarter progressed). Why stubbornly stick to our "identity" when it's not working?

In 2007 Holmy abandoned the run almost completely and that ended up working out pretty damned well. Got us into the playoffs certainly, and Hass ended up with career stats too (especially in the passing yards category that some love so much - myself I prefer excelling in the TD/INT column).

I'm not in any way advocating abandoning the run (Pro-Bowl 2nd or 3rdbest RB in the league anyone?), but c'mon Pete, it all ends up with what friggin works!

This echoes sentiments brought up by Pehawk in another thread, are we at times squandering our best asset? And being way way too predictable?

Twisted

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2eushw4m said:
Hasselbeck":2eushw4m said:
He's making all the right throws. The safe ones.

While I agree Pete and Bevell need to let Russell throw it more, it's not entirely fair to say ALL they let him do is make the safe throws. Wilson's thrown a ton of long balls, and has 17 TD's.

if receivers can't get open deep come Sunday its going to be a long day, hanging onto the ball and throwing short killed em in FL, no 2 ways about it

offenses need more dynamics if they expect to win in more ways than one...

The Radish

Reaction score
To bad all this wondrous stat stuff hasn't translated into more wins.

I'm with the side that thinks the only stats that count are wins/losses. All the rest are merely things for fans to do with the wasted time between games.

:roll:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
The Radish":2rt55xuq said:
To bad all this wondrous stat stuff hasn't translated into more wins.

I'm with the side that thinks the only stats that count are wins/losses. All the rest are merely things for fans to do with the wasted time between games.

:roll:

Wondered how long it would be until someone posted a version of this sentiment.

Wins are a team result. They require everyone to step up. And one way to see who is stepping up and playing well is - gasp - to look at the statistics they generate.

And I know this is blasphemous to some around here, but it's possible to want the team to win more WHILE AT THE SAME TIME being excited about how well our rookie QB is playing.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1ifn60an said:
"We shouldn't start Russell Wilson because we are wasting this defense.... Flynn would do much better. "

Haven't heard that said in awhile.

I don't see how this line of antagonizing adds to this particular thread.
I'd rather stick to the issue that the OP intended.

I for one am NOT happy about Wilson being held back so's Pete & Co. can try'n establish their "Run First" mantra.
Wilson just might throw more picks, BUT he just might win those games for you when the Run game isn't getting the job done.
The reason some Quarterbacks get picked off more regularly, is because Defenses study the tendencies & habits like locking onto your Receivers, not spreading your passes and using the whole field, and staying with a particular Receiver too often.
I think what bothers me the most about Pete is that he doesn't seem to want to put the games out of reach for his opponents, by running up the score, and resting on a small lead with time for them to go into a two minute drill with not a lot of time left on the clock, and go into that damned prevent Defense...This cost us the Lions & Dolphins games.