Well this confirms what we all suspected..

hawker84

Reaction score
geeez.. how is he even still out there..surely they can find someone to replace him that's just as bad without making the stupid penalties every game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1h31xhgw said:
We need to draft a stud tackle. Breno is a great depth guy.
Agree but I have to wonder if we'll see another upper round pick used on an o-lineman. I'd be for it but I know plenty of people on this board would not agree......*cough EnglishSeahawk cough* (not saying you'd be right or wrong Rob, just sayin' :p )

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Simply looking at the 'rankings' is a non-contextual view of how well (or not) Breno is pass protecting this season. You have to look closer, at the actual 'grade' and range of distribution, for a more accurate statistical view.

Based on these stats, Breno is currently grading out a very respectable 93% (92.8 to be exact) on pass block snaps, which ranks him 54th out of 65 eligible players. However, that grade actually rates him closer to the #1 rated player on the list (Joe Thomas, 97.8, difference of 5.0) than it does to the #65 player (Michael Harris, 87.4, difference of 5.4).

In more localized terms, comparing Breno to Russell Okung, the difference is 4.0. Which is to say that Breno is allowing 4 more pressures per 100 pass plays than Okung. 100 pass plays roughly equates to 3 full games based on the Seahawks' average volume of pass plays. 4 pressues over 3 games equals just over 1 pressure per game. (1.33) Thus, Breno Giacomini, who ranks #54, is only allowing slightly more than one additional pressure per game in pass protection than Russell Okung, who ranks #6.

So what does this tell us? It doesn't tell us that Breno is comparatively an elite NFL pass protector - he is not. But it does tell us that while Breno may rate statistically worse than the majority of starting OT's in the league in pass protection, he does not rate materially worse than virtually any of them, and isn't the liability in pass protection that this raw 'ranking' might suggest.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":19fkdbsi said:
It doesn't tell us that Breno is comparatively an elite NFL pass protector - he is not. But it does tell us that while Breno may rate statistically worse than the majority of starting OT's in the league in pass protection, he does not rate materially worse than virtually any of them, and isn't the liability in pass protection that this raw 'ranking' might suggest.

Thats a nice way of sugar coating it. Games are won & lost by things like this. One of the worst in the league is one of the worst in the league. We need better.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I completely agree, T-Sizzle, one play can indeed change the entire outcome of a game -- and that one play could just as easily come as a result of any of the pass pressures that Okung allows, or anyone else. Thus the question is, how many games have the Seahawks lost this season directly due to a pass pressure or sack allowed by Breno Giacomini? And would eliminating one pass pressure, from one side of the line, per game, truly push the needle on the Seahawks offense? I'm not suggesting that it necessarily wouldn't, but I'm highly skeptical that it would, nor do I view Breno's pass protection abilities as the albatross of the Seahawks offense in the big picture....at least not if these types of stats mean anything (and perhaps they don't). Again, I'm not implying that Breno is in fact some All-World pass protector (he's not), I'm just pointing out that the disparity in these 'rankings' between he and Okung is FAR greater than the disparity in their actual production.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawker84":3got5lo6 said:
geeez.. how is he even still out there..surely they can find someone to replace him that's just as bad without making the stupid penalties every game.

As many great draft picks as Carroll and Schneider have made, let's not forget that they drafted Carpenter in the first round to be the starting right tackle. So Breno wouldn't even be on the team OR playing right tackle if Carpenter wasn't such a fail at that position.

Sure Carpenter's done pretty well as a guard, but that doesn't change the fact that we wasted a first round draft pick on a player that's now been hurt a bunch, and has been reduced to rotating at guard.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":34gl000q said:
hawker84":34gl000q said:

As many great draft picks as Carroll and Schneider have made, let's not forget that they drafted Carpenter in the first round to be the starting right tackle. So Breno wouldn't even be on the team OR playing right tackle if Carpenter wasn't such a fail at that position.

Sure Carpenter's done pretty well as a guard, but that doesn't change the fact that we wasted a first round draft pick on a player that's now been hurt a bunch, and has been reduced to rotating at guard.
Yep. Sigh. Hopefully Carp gets it going and keeps it going by next year.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lzl63ea said:
hawker84":2lzl63ea said:

I get what your saying man, but just because they missed on Carp at RT doesn't mean they should stop trying to upgrade the position.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BAllenHawk":1msjf5ix said:
I get what your saying man, but just because they missed on Carp at RT doesn't mean they should stop trying to upgrade the position.

Not saying that at all. I'm saying the reason Breno is even on the team and performing poorly is because Carroll and Schneider reached on Carpenter, and lost.

Yes, I think we all agree that RT is a big position of need next year..........along with WR.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm guessing that ranking is almost entirely based on Breno's penalties, which were unbelievably bad in the first several weeks of the season. Since getting benched and coming back he's been a really solid contributor, IMO.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Breno sucks. I've never thought otherwise. I don't have a problem with him as a backup. But if he's starting on your o-line, you're never going to be great.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3pw53nj3 said:
BAllenHawk":3pw53nj3 said:

Not saying that at all. I'm saying the reason Breno is even on the team and performing poorly is because Carroll and Schneider reached on Carpenter, and lost.

Yes, I think we all agree that RT is a big position of need next year..........along with WR.
Gotch ya!