I want a new playcaller

Galen96

Reaction score
Bevell has taken me to the point where I just flat out am annoyed watching. Russell is doing amazing things with what I'd call some seriously boneheaded playcalls. Could you imagine if they actually had called the Miami game to their strengths vs Miami's weaknesses? I mean come the hell on...

Russell wilson to Golden tate deep... Russell wilson to Sydney rice deep... These are two connections that have been forged over the length of the season and you mash Lynch up the middle into a brick wall all game? WTFF!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Galen96":2ebki2n8 said:
Bevell has taken me to the point where I just flat out am annoyed watching. Russell is doing amazing things with what I'd call some seriously boneheaded playcalls. Could you imagine if they actually had called the Miami game to their strengths vs Miami's weaknesses? I mean come the hell on...

Russell wilson to Golden tate deep... Russell wilson to Sydney rice deep... These are two connections that have been forged over the length of the season and you mash Lynch up the middle into a brick wall all game? WTFF!

Bevel called those plays like he wanted to lose.
It actually looked like Bevel had given a copy of his play book to the Phins.
Pathetic move to go against what was working, and try'n impose your dumb will on a team that quite obviously game-planned for that exact scenario, but to continue screwing up by staying the course?, I hope Pete reams Bevel a new a$$.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Then again wilson and receivers arent always going to connect and then you'll be calling for bevells head for not mashing up the middle with Lynch

must suck being a scapegoat

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
I have actually been happy with Bevell a lot of times that most weren't. But I have to agree completely this time... I have never seen essentially the exact same play called and failed the same way to many times in one game. Some variation of lynch up the middle was probably called at least 15 times. You have to be able to adjust to the conditions of the specific game and it seems like he stubbornly adhered to the game plan.

Clearly, Miami was ready for Lynch so change the plan! I don't get it.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
For the record, this was the first time all year that the Seahawks stubbornly stuck with the running game and the defense didn't wear down at the end of the game. Unless you watched the All 22 and saw virtually no deep routes called, how can you make the criticism? Why are we always so quick to blame Bevell when Miami just flat out played with more intensity and executed better?

I'm also willing to bet that the insistance on running the football stemmed at least partially from playing in South Florida heat and they wanted to keep the defense fresh.

justafan

Reaction score
You could blame the play call or you could blame Unger for being driven 4 yrds into the backfield before the play even develops,or you could blame Carp for allowing the backside DE running untouched right in front of him to tackle Lynch from behind,same with Breno allowing his guy making backside plays for no gain..untouched,maybe blame Robinson for running right by the LB filling the gap allowing him to make a tackle for no gain.
The dolphins played a tough game but this Oline consistently failed at getting any push at the point of attack rarely getting helmets on the lbs. or backside DEs allowing them to fly around and make plays.
Carp played soft slow and stupid.I don't know if he is still hurt but he can't cut block for s**t,just seems to lean on players and gets caught standing around too often.Breno isn't the answer at RT and RGs weren't much better.I know people don't want to draft Olineman again but this unit needs help.They are not the tough physical oline people make them out to be.The Oline and Oline coach were the root of the problem Sunday not the playcalls.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
In dunno, I just think it's dumb to try to 'out smashmouth' a team that's better at it. The offensive game plan should have been more opened up from the beginning. Every time the coaches have put the game in RW's hands, he produces, but all too often it's a 'day late and dollar short,' because they only do it when they're forced to.

I firmily believe we could have been ahead by couple of TDs all game long if this game was played right. That goes for a few other road games as well. I hope Pete wakes up soon. He can't just play keep away and favor putting the game in the hands of a D that has continually regressed since the first half of the season. That's the glaring difference between Carroll and Belichik.

Bill is honest with himself about his team's strenghts/weaknesses. Accordingly, he finds the other teams weakness and starts attacking what he knows HIS players can capitalize on from the very beginning. Pete is stubbornly sticking with a plan that isn't suiting the current state of his team. He gives RW accolades during press conferences, yet he still acts like a frightened girl about putting the ball in his hands more often. I loathe this whole idea about playing aggressively on D, but being so timid with the passing game...especially when the D is not doing very well.

If anything, our road losses tell us we had better go into the 4th quarter with a substantial lead and maintain it, but Pete still prefers to grind it out...unless, of course, the D produces the point cushion...which he seens to think has a much higher probabilty of happening than most people would give it.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I don't think the Hawks are timid in the passing game at all. This team takes more shots downfield than any Seahawks team since 1997.

The offensive line got manhandled, made a lot of good play calls look bad. A lot of this criticism is hindsight, I rarely see threads on this board the week leading up to a game advocating a certain type of game plan.

All year the recipe for Seahawks victories has involved sticking with the running game. When they pound the ball, they win. Sunday was the exception, not the rule. I think its asinine that we want to start chucking the ball all over the place cause we struggled to run the ball for one game. You want your defense to wear down even more in the fourth quarter? Become a pass first offense.

BTW, we aren't having this conversation if when it was 14-7 Wilson doesn't miss Sydney Rice who was wide open on a shallow cross on 3rd and 4 and instead chose to throw a low percentage go route on the sideline. Tate was the clear out route, Rice should've been the read there, and Wilson knew he missed it when he got to the sideline. He makes that play I really don't think we are having this conversation right now. Luckily, Wilson recognizes and fixes his errors quickly.

justafan

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":m9ubhfqv said:
In dunno, I just think it's dumb to try to 'out smashmouth' a team that's better at it. The offensive game plan should have been more opened up from the beginning. Every time the coaches have put the game in RW's hands, he produces, but all too often it's a 'day late and dollar short,' because they only do it when they're forced to.

I firmily believe we could have been ahead by couple of TDs all game long if this game was played right. That goes for a few other road games as well. I hope Pete wakes up soon. He can't just play keep away and favor putting the game in the hands of a D that has continually regressed since the first half of the season. That's the glaring difference between Carroll and Belichik.

Bill is honest with himself about his team's strenghts/weaknesses. Accordingly, he finds the other teams weakness and starts attacking what he knows HIS players can capitalize on from the very beginning. Pete is stubbornly sticking with a plan that isn't suiting the current state of his team. He gives RW accolades during press conferences, yet he still acts like a frightened girl about putting the ball in his hands more often. I loathe this whole idea about playing aggressively on D, but being so timid with the passing game...especially when the D is not doing very well.

If anything, our road losses tell us we had better go into the 4th quarter with a substantial lead and maintain it, but Pete still prefers to grind it out...unless, of course, the D produces the point cushion...which he seens to think has a much higher probabilty of happening than most people would give it.

They did put the game in Wilsons hands.We had 32 pass plays vs 21 run plays.the run was starting to work better in the 4th Qtr, a 16 yrd run a couple of 5 yrd runs.the last drive they were running the 5 min offense trying to burn up some clock but the game ended up in Wilsons hands.He should have grounded that messed up screen pass and it looked like he bailed out of the pocket early on that last play.There was a pocket.

OP
OP
Galen96

Galen96

Reaction score
The problem is them KNOWING Miami is prone to giving up big plays through the air, yet were stubborn about sticking to "their game." Take the opportunities you're given and light em up. It would've opened up the run far more if they had.

Seriously, if a team lights you up deep, you start dropping your LBs deep to help, thus creating a 4 man front to run again. They were stacking the box the whole game yet.... run up the middle for loss, run up the middle for loss, pass deep for 1st down, run up the middle for no gain, short pass for 7 yds.. run up the middle for a 2 yd gain, punt.

RW was on fire this game and it's fair to assume he could've put a few more down the seam if he got that call from the sideline.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
seahawk2k":2o1lh2ga said:
I don't think the Hawks are timid in the passing game at all. This team takes more shots downfield than any Seahawks team since 1997.

The offensive line got manhandled, made a lot of good play calls look bad. A lot of this criticism is hindsight, I rarely see threads on this board the week leading up to a game advocating a certain type of game plan.

All year the recipe for Seahawks victories has involved sticking with the running game. When they pound the ball, they win. Sunday was the exception, not the rule. I think its asinine that we want to start chucking the ball all over the place cause we struggled to run the ball for one game. You want your defense to wear down even more in the fourth quarter? Become a pass first offense.

BTW, we aren't having this conversation if when it was 14-7 Wilson doesn't miss Sydney Rice who was wide open on a shallow cross on 3rd and 4 and instead chose to throw a low percentage go route on the sideline. Tate was the clear out route, Rice should've been the read there, and Wilson knew he missed it when he got to the sideline. He makes that play I really don't think we are having this conversation right now. Luckily, Wilson recognizes and fixes his errors quickly.
Last week there were two threads about the Dolphins strengths and weaknesses, one by myself and one by Hawkscanner. Both were clear that the Phins run defense was no joke, their front 7 are very good at stopping the run, and their secondary was the weak link and gives up big plays and lots of midrange plays.

I am not calling for Bevell's job, but go watch the game. I saw Miami with 8 and nine in run support on just about every first down, and when Seattle went jumbo a couple of times in the second half, Miami countered with ten players in position to runs stop. And Seattle still ran. And lost yards on the run. Watch the game again. How many 2nd and long situations were we in because of ineffectual 1st down runs? How many second and longs were we in because of incomplete passes? Look it up, you will see just how stubborn the game plan was.

I don't think many on this board want Seattle to lose their identity as a physical team. But did the Niners lose their identity as a physical team when they opened the Chicago game by throwing the ball all over the place? No, they didn't. But they did get an early lead by taking advantage of Chicago's weaknesses.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Carroll is the one masterminding this offense, not Bevell. Things will be no different with anyone else.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":r21mjmsf said:
Carroll is the one masterminding this offense, not Bevell. Things will be no different with anyone else.
Which is why I am not calling for the OC's head. It was a flawed gameplan. The calls at the end of the game were atrocious, though.

hawker84

Reaction score
he may be masterminding it, but he's not the one calling the plays... game planning is game planning.. calling plays within the gameplan and making adjustments is on bevell, line coaches , db coach and so on.. from my experience anyways

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I'm glad we have someone to post this thread. You are the very first to put such a brave statement on paper. Bravo.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3avo31ic said:
I'm glad we have someone to post this thread. You are the very first to put such a brave statement on paper. Bravo.
You hit CTRL-P for his post? That is an epic post.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2w9cok3x said:
Sarlacc83":2w9cok3x said:
You hit CTRL-P for his post? That is an epic post.

I figured it needed framing for posterity. Due to the paradigm-shifting rebellion and all.

justafan

Reaction score
I don't know what people expect.It was almost a 60/40 split with pass vs run plays.
Wilson shouldnt have completed that screen and he left the pocket with a 3 man rush on the last play.
Our oline got manhandled, the team committed stupid penalties that hamstrung drives and they didnt play physical at all.If you want to fire coaches for a soft oline or a team that plays stupid undisciplined ball then its a different argument.
The only thing physical about our offense is Lynch.
As far as 8 or 9 man fronts I wonder how much leeway Wilson has to audible.Once he gets more experience and freedom he will be able to get us into different plays that would have a better chance to beat the D that he is facing on any given play.

mikeak

Reaction score
justafan":1wmso32k said:
You could blame the play call or you could blame Unger for being driven 4 yrds into the backfield before the play even develops,or you could blame Carp for allowing the backside DE running untouched right in front of him to tackle Lynch from behind,same with Breno allowing his guy making backside plays for no gain..untouched,maybe blame Robinson for running right by the LB filling the gap allowing him to make a tackle for no gain.

I am sorry but did this just happen on the last play or throughout the game?.......that is what I thought - so WHY WASN'T THE PLAYCALLING CHANGED BASED ON HOW THESE GUYS WERE DOMINATED?

justafan":1wmso32k said:
They are not the tough physical oline people make them out to be.The Oline and Oline coach were the root of the problem Sunday not the playcalls.

And Bevell should have adjusted the playcalling accordingly first BEFORE the game based on film and expecting to be dominated and secondly during the game............ That last drive kept putting Wilson in third and long over and over again until we couldn't convert.