4 games this year... or next year?

skater18000

Reaction score
Would you rather the suspensions start @ home vs cardinals thru week 17 @ home vs rams and you have them if we were to make the playoffs...

Or...

Week 1 of next year three week 5

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
week 1 next year i guess. it seems like being able to plan for this during the offseason would be beneficial

Steve2222

Reaction score
Next year easily. As stated, we can plan for it in the offseason and our offense will be one more year/offseason experienced with each other and will be better suited to pick up the slack.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
This year easily. Why? While we're better able to "plan" for it during an offseason, this year is supposedly year three of a four-year plan. This year we have a rookie quarterback, and if you'll remember to week one this year, nobody had very high expectations of us doing anything, especially not the playoffs. And while this year we're still in the driver's seat with regards to getting into the playoffs, would you sacrifice four games of a really good run next year, or four games in a season where we appear to be almost - but not quite - in contention?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
This year. Playoffs would be 'nice', but seriously, next year is when the team will take off and shoot for the stars.

JKent82

Reaction score
This year. After the Bears game. We play two very good receivers in the next two weeks, Marshall and Fitz, we might as well try and cover Marshall with the guys we have now. Hope we survive against Fitz and a bad QB in a home game, and then the are no other elite WR's on the slate.

If we make the playoffs we have both back and if not we don't have it hanging over next season. No distractions and our defense can be ready to take the next step.

warden

Reaction score
This year

Let them play against the Bears and they will be back in time for the playoffs. Do not go into next year with distractions

dbsn2420

Reaction score
This year, get the pain over with! Who knows, Maxwell or Thurmond, whoever steps in could hopefully play well enough so that we still make the post season.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This year. No one wants this to hang over the team all offseason and into training camp, preseason, and games 1–4. Just get it over with if it is going to happen.

themunn

Reaction score
Next year, give Lane/Thurmond/whoever you want to cover them 1st team reps in the offseason and preseason and they'll be ready to cover from week 1-4.
If Sherman and Browner are as good as we think they are, they don't need the reps for anything other than match fitness.
Then they come in at week 5 completely refreshed and if we've made it through the first 4 games, we're in great shape, if we haven't, we've got 12 games to fix it.
Lose them now without a plan B and it could cost us the season, whilst we might not be in shape to get to the superbowl right now (I still think this is a team BUILT for playoff games), playoff experience is far more beneficial than having the team in great shape next year (think about it, if it wasn't, we'd have let the Rams beat us in 2010, finish 6-10 and grabbed the number 7 overall pick (based on our weaker strength of schedule, which would have been even with the 49ers, but we'd still have had the tiebreaker as SF would have won 4 divisional games to our 3).

That would have put us in a much better shape for rebuilding and thus a better shape for the season

Sac

Reaction score
This year. After the Bears game we have some relatively soft teams other than SF and RW can air it out a little more if we have to in order to keep up. We can still make the playoffs and we'd have BB and Sherm back for the post season.

Then, when we win the Superbowl everyone will say how we did it with CB's that cheat and that will give them more motivation for next year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Next year. You can tweak personnel, get the subs some reps, and the other host of reasons that have been stated above.

Plus, if you have a shot at the playoffs, you take it. You don't know what could happen in the next year. We've been incredibly lucky on the injury front this year.....next year we could lose Wilson, Thomas, and Unger and be screwed.

Also, like someone else said, even if you lost all 4 games (unlikely, unless incredibly unlucky with scheduling), you still have 12 to recover. If we lost Sherm and Browner for 4 games, and we go and lose 2 more, we're most likely out of the playoffs unless we get a lot of help.

I can agree that I don't think this team is ready for a deep playoff run, and the way we're playing, I guess I could also see this year as beneficial. You could make negative or positives out of any of it.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Next year. I want to go to the playoffs and having our starting corners obviously gives us the best chance. It's shortsighted, but I'll worry about getting off to a good start in the offseason.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Fuzzman55":1px4vg5y said:
Next year. I want to go to the playoffs and having our starting corners obviously gives us the best chance. It's shortsighted, but I'll worry about getting off to a good start in the offseason.

But starting 0-4 next year hurts NEXT year's playoff chances pretty significantly. Browner and Sherman are still going to be crucial to this defense next year, regardless of whom we add in the offseason.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":35e81eo2 said:
Fuzzman55":35e81eo2 said:

But starting 0-4 next year hurts NEXT year's playoff chances pretty significantly. Browner and Sherman are still going to be crucial to this defense next year, regardless of whom we add in the offseason.

What's your preference then?

Who knows how next year will pan out. We may not be in the hunt next year at this time of the season regardless of if they play or not.

We are now so I say do your damndest it make it now.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":lbp9irbe said:
Fuzzman55":lbp9irbe said:

True, but I'm not much of a believer in the "4 year plan" hype. You get what you can get in this league and never take anything for granted. Who knows, the Hawks could be significantly better next year and more capable of weathering the losses. And with a young team like ours, maybe gaining a year of playoff experience helps us take the next step. All I'm saying is next year is beyond anyone's predictions or control.

Latest posts