Why Isn't Wilson Audibling?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that Wilson rarely if ever audibles at the line?

IMO he should have command of the offense enough by now that Carroll can trust him to audible out of run plays when the defense is obviously stacking the box to stop Lynch. Too many times this year we've seen obvious blitzes or run stopping formations by the defense, and Russell doesn't (or isn't allowed) to audible out of it to a pass play.

Dave Wyman brought this up on the radio yesterday, and it's a great point as to the predictability problems of our offense. The QB has to be allowed to change the plays based on defensive formations.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
He's doing really well going through his read progressions on pass plays, way beyond his experience level IMO. If he's not checking out of plays yet I feel it's likely cuz he's not allowed to do so yet. This kid is smart as hell and studies like a madman so I can't believe for one second he isn't recognizing the need to audiblize at this point in the season. Here's a question: was Hass allowed to check out under Pete? How about Tarvaris last year? I ask cuz I'm wondering if the QBs on Pete's teams are given that option.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I haven't necessarily seen him audible to new plays but I have seen him check from one play call to another if the look isn't any good. Seems to be working so far.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Coaches may not be letting him make that decision.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Part of his success might be due to not having the extra burden of a bunch of audibles. He's playing well, and our offensive struggles last week weren't due to Xs & O's, we just got flat out whipped.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
That might have been a great question for Q13's Aaron Levine.

But I think the real reason as has been mentioned already, is that they're just not yet ready to let him do that much. He's handling what they're giving him great, and making continual progress. I think it's only a matter of time before audibles are a part of his game. And when that happens, watch out!

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":160r5ibw said:
That might have been a great question for Q13's Aaron Levine.

But I think the real reason as has been mentioned already, is that they're just not yet ready to let him do that much. He's handling what they're giving him great, and making continual progress. I think it's only a matter of time before audibles are a part of his game. And when that happens, watch out!

Yeah might be part of the progression Pete's always talking about with Russell, but IMO as other's have said, the dude's smart enough to handle it.........and no one can tell me it's not hurting the offense.

How many times have we seen the defense stack the box, yet we run anyway for negative or no yards? This team is hanging on for dear life to the #6 seed, and might lose their corners for the rest of the year..........for Pete's sake (pun intended), take the damn wraps off the offense and let Russell try and lead this team into the playoffs.

mikeak

Reaction score
Could be any of the ones below I think

1) He is so short that he can audible without moving around..........it made sense to me before I wrote it
2) All the play-calls are perfect as they are and he never feels the need to audible...........it made sense to me as well before I wrote it
3) Wilson watches so much film that he knows the defense to be played prior to hitting the huddle so he never needs to audible at the line....... ok that one worked
4) Wilson is so short he can't see over his line so why audible he will figure it out after the ball is snapped - sweet that one worked as well
5) Encouraged not to audible......can't believe "forbidden"

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I believe he has the screen option he can audible to at any time and does depending on the defense. I realize this isn't an audible in the sense you're talking about, as he goes up with basically 3 different plays he can run, but he most certainly is looking at the defense and picking which play works best after getting to the line and making changes.

I've seen formations change many times and him flip-flopping receivers without it being a "motion" play. So I think there is more audibling going on than some think. I am sure he just doesn't have the keys to run a complete set of plays yet. He does seem to be calling plays himself though when he goes into hurry up mode, so that may be that the plays are pre-determined, or he is basically calling what is an option for him and those plays seem to work really well. It is my belief that he'll be calling his own plays by next year, and Bevell will be less and less involved, so for those worried about who our OC is going to be... I bet you that it will still be Bevell and he'll look better and better next year as he has less and less to do as Russell starts calling his plays at the line more and more often.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There will come a day when Russell will be calling some of his own plays in a no huddle attack. We just are not there yet.

Baby steps.