Sherman & Browner suspension news

Hawks46

Reaction score
According to NFL.com this morning, "sources" close to Sherman claim he's telling friends he accidentally ingested adderall from a teammate's water bottle (the teammate has a script for it). Now, this screws him, since honestly, there is no intent in the PED policy, you're either dirty or clean. Sherman will probably be out.

Browner is claiming that the urinalysis process was messed up, claiming "he saw the person dump urine from one container into another". This is common, but if one of the containers isn't clean, then he has a case. I don't know anything about Adderall, but if it stays in your system for a while, and Browner is claiming there is a flawed process, then I can't see how the league would let him retest immediately. If he comes up clean, then he's good.

So there is some good news brewing I hope. Honestly, Sherm is a smart guy, and as confident as he's been on twitter, I figured for sure that he was innocent, knowing you really can't beat these drug tests, or come up with a plausible excuse if you're dirty. There have been players buying stuff over the counter that have been suspended, and that's perfectly legal. Taking prescription medication without said prescription is technically illegal, depending on the substance.

I'm hoping at least Browner is exonerated. After all, no system is perfect and people make mistakes, so I can honestly see some cases where the player really doesn't know how he is dirty, and it's a mistake.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
1) This isn't "new" news....just another thread when there is one already.
2) Sherman has said the USA today report is false.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yeah, he did refute those "sources".

It would be smart of him to not say anything, that's for sure. Either they're dirty, or it's really fishy that both of our outstanding CBs got nailed at the same time, in the middle of a playoff race. Maybe there is something to all those conspiracy theories.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
It clears out of your system pretty fast, especially if you take vitamin c. It will clear out even faster. A retest at this point would be pretty worthless. That is why they take a "b" or sometimes even a "c" sample and freeze it. If he came up positive on the instant test with the strips in the cup, then they would have had him sit around and take another sample once he was ready (they hydrate and if they can't/won't produce a sample then it goes down as a failed test... just like if you refuse a breathalyzer). That sample would be sent off to a lab for a confirmation of the "a" sample.

This is if the NFL follows standard drug test protocol. They may have slightly different ways, but this is the most common when drug testing. When I was an administrator in a school we had a guy that had to get tested regularly due to a conviction. He was a custodian and he had a strike against him, but was able to keep his job because he never came to work under the influence, he had gotten arrested, reported himself to the district immediately, but came up with a drug of abuse (not one that he was necessarily abusing, but one that could be used as such) in his system. So I'd have to excuse him to head off for his drug test once a week and make sure he arrived back on time. What a hassle.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Ah, didn't think of multiple samples. Testing in the Marines was a lot different, since they were testing for narcotics and THC, which stays in your system a lot longer, and makes restesting a bit more valid.

It also explains the rampant use of Adderall. If a guy knows he's getting testing on Thurs, he can quit using and hopefully flush it out of his system by then. Conversely, you almost never see guys nailed for pot anymore, unless they are partying before the combine, lol.

djb28

Reaction score
How does a team that gets no attention for anything get tested for drugs? lol

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Adderall and other amphetamines have water soluble metabolites and are excreted from the body within a couple days. In order to test dirty, someone would have to ingest it not long before a test is administered.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
half-life is 10hrs; meaning if you ingest 30-40mg (common daily dosage for adults) at noon, you have 15-20mg in your system at 10p; 7.5-10mg at 8a following day, etc. Now, if you're taking it regularly, you're going to have a bit more of an issue getting clean quicker. Same goes for marijuana, opiates, etc.

Accidentally ingesting Adderall is a terrible, terrible argument.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
SharkHawk":flhsdxhv said:
It clears out of your system pretty fast, especially if you take vitamin c. It will clear out even faster. A retest at this point would be pretty worthless. That is why they take a "b" or sometimes even a "c" sample and freeze it. If he came up positive on the instant test with the strips in the cup, then they would have had him sit around and take another sample once he was ready (they hydrate and if they can't/won't produce a sample then it goes down as a failed test... just like if you refuse a breathalyzer). That sample would be sent off to a lab for a confirmation of the "a" sample.

This is if the NFL follows standard drug test protocol. They may have slightly different ways, but this is the most common when drug testing. When I was an administrator in a school we had a guy that had to get tested regularly due to a conviction. He was a custodian and he had a strike against him, but was able to keep his job because he never came to work under the influence, he had gotten arrested, reported himself to the district immediately, but came up with a drug of abuse (not one that he was necessarily abusing, but one that could be used as such) in his system. So I'd have to excuse him to head off for his drug test once a week and make sure he arrived back on time. What a hassle.

yep. You usually make them provide a sample large enough to cover both samples. The current DOT regulations is a 2 sample test. Obviously the NFL might do things a bit differently. I hope this all gets resolved sooner rather than later even if they are suspended. If say they aren't suspended until after the Cards game than they would be gone for the 1st playoff game if were lucky enough to get that far.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
OneLofaTatupu":30isnf8x said:
half-life is 10hrs; meaning if you ingest 30-40mg (common daily dosage for adults) at noon, you have 15-20mg in your system at 10p; 7.5-10mg at 8a following day, etc. Now, if you're taking it regularly, you're going to have a bit more of an issue getting clean quicker. Same goes for marijuana, opiates, etc.

Doc told me that Vitamin C makes its half life even shorter, which he told me for the reason of if I felt jittery to drink OJ and it would eliminate faster. But he also said that I couldn't have my morning OJ because it could flush the meds fast. I stopped drinking OJ in the AM and my adderall worked much better. But if I felt it was still "working" at night when I was ready for sleep I'd drink 8 oz. of orange or grape juice and within an hour the medicine was completely gone from my system (it was there... but you know what I mean, not enough to keep me awake) and I could go to sleep.

I am sure if I know this, then NFL players do too. They may be megadosing vitamin C on Sunday right after the game in hopes they are clear by test day, which I am assuming is typically a Tuesday or Wednesday since a lot of teams have Mondays off.

HawkDabz

Reaction score
Now here is a thought. We all have heard the report on sherman saying he refuts the usa today info on drinking from the teammates bottle that adderal in it. Im thinking more along the lines that if they were dumping in the speimens to another container, and it contaminted it from the one who actually does have a prescription for the adderal, that it could of contaminated both browners and shermans tests, which cause the false negatives. Its just a thought and could be real likely that they are both innocent on it. And it was the failure of the test takers on containmating there tests. More then likely they would of taken the tests right after each other, so if one came out dirty could of contaimneted theres as well.

Largent80

Reaction score
OneLofaTatupu":2w4iw49m said:

It is like saying "I was in the room where they were smoking weed" for a positive test for it.

It just seems bizzarre that they both would be positive at the same day same time.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HawkDabz":1ykyyn1n said:
Now here is a thought. We all have heard the report on sherman saying he refuts the usa today info on drinking from the teammates bottle that adderal in it. Im thinking more along the lines that if they were dumping in the speimens to another container, and it contaminted it from the one who actually does have a prescription for the adderal, that it could of contaminated both browners and shermans tests, which cause the false negatives. Its just a thought and could be real likely that they are both innocent on it. And it was the failure of the test takers on containmating there tests. More then likely they would of taken the tests right after each other, so if one came out dirty could of contaimneted theres as well.

Anything is possible.

zayden185

Reaction score
Hawks46":2lizss7d said:
According to NFL.com this morning, "sources" close to Sherman claim he's telling friends he accidentally ingested adderall from a teammate's water bottle (the teammate has a script for it). Now, this screws him, since honestly, there is no intent in the PED policy, you're either dirty or clean. Sherman will probably be out.

Browner is claiming that the urinalysis process was messed up, claiming "he saw the person dump urine from one container into another". This is common, but if one of the containers isn't clean, then he has a case. I don't know anything about Adderall, but if it stays in your system for a while, and Browner is claiming there is a flawed process, then I can't see how the league would let him retest immediately. If he comes up clean, then he's good.

So there is some good news brewing I hope. Honestly, Sherm is a smart guy, and as confident as he's been on twitter, I figured for sure that he was innocent, knowing you really can't beat these drug tests, or come up with a plausible excuse if you're dirty. There have been players buying stuff over the counter that have been suspended, and that's perfectly legal. Taking prescription medication without said prescription is technically illegal, depending on the substance.

I'm hoping at least Browner is exonerated. After all, no system is perfect and people make mistakes, so I can honestly see some cases where the player really doesn't know how he is dirty, and it's a mistake.

Why would someone put Adderral in a water bottle? its just a pill? Credibility is waninig on that! water bottle? you cant get second hand high from water bottle, and that would have to be a shitload of adderrol if that were the case. that is extremely diluted then!

Largent80

Reaction score
I took acid when I was 17 and when I got home late from a concert my dad confronted me. I lied and told him I had bitten a chocolate bar that had lsd on it.

He wasn't buying it, and I am not buying what Sherman is selling.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Largent80":kkfpg061 said:
I took acid when I was 17 and when I got home late from a concert my dad confronted me. I lied and told him I had bitten a chocolate bar that had lsd on it.

Except that is not what Sherman said. He denies the waterbottle story as false.

Let's wait and see what happens.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":izd8mw0r said:
Largent80":izd8mw0r said:

Except that is not what Sherman said. He denies the waterbottle story as false.

Let's wait and see what happens.

I don't understand why people aren't realizing that this story about the water bottle holds no merit. It's been reported that Sherman has completely denied this story and says it's not true. Basically it sounds like someone took info from a source who really had no info and ran with it to grab headlines.

I really wish people would stop referring to the tainted water bottle story as if it's a fact.