The internal struggle of a Seahawks fan

amill87

Reaction score
I wanted to wait a little bit to collect my thoughts and to see if how I felt about certain things became more clear to myself.

Well that didn't happen. I am more confused about this team than I feel I have ever been before. It's becoming incredibly frustrating not knowing what exactly this team is. Are we a good team hitting a few bumps before we take off to greatness? Are we just a mediocre team destined to hover around .500 until Carroll gets canned? I just can't figure it out. Whenever I feel the team is mediocre pretenders they pull off the awesome wins vs the Vikings/Jets. Than I start to feel that maybe we are a good team just working out some issues than we drop an inexcusable game to the Dolphins. I keep bouncing back and forth and at least IMO this is worse than being a bad team. When you're a bad team, you kinda know your situation. You know what to expect and you can look for certain things and feel good about the future. But the Seahawks aren't a bad team. They are far from it. So why can't I convince myself that they are actually a good team? Here's a couple of things that have been floating around that I just don't know which way to decide on quite yet.

Browner/Sherman SuspensionThis is the hot topic right now, so it's where I'm gonna start. I fully expect them both to get suspended and I'm kinda ok with that now. I remember being terrified when Trufant and Thurmond went down last year and we had to start some 5th round rookie. I'm cautiously excited to see what Lane can do. He's had good practices and he's been around the team, so I'm hoping he will be able to understand the plays. Another bright side here is now the coaches will be forced to gameplan to try to protect the corners. Maybe that translates into more blitzes or exotic formations (like the bandit). Now there are a lot of negative sides to this story but the biggest IMO seems to be the least talked about and has me the most worried. I know these guys are innocent until proven guilty and we will never know exactly what drug they got busted for but what when they come back, they simply aren't the same players anymore? This has me scared more than anything, not knowing if Sherman can be the Sherman we came to know and love is a frightening thought.

Russell Wilson Vs. Colin KaepernickThis is a weird one. Maybe it's too soon to be worried but awhile back I said in a post that the only way we take control of this division for years to come is if we have the best QB in the division. Now I understand Kaep only has a couple games and I'm not completely worried yet but what if he actually is really good? Can we say for sure that Wilson is actually better? I sure want to believe that but I just don't know. If Kaep ends up being equal or as good as Wilson, I think we may get stuck as the perennial wild card team.

Bobby WagnerLet me start by saying I think Wagner was a great pick and will be huge for us for years to come. But I've been noticing ever since we started having our run defense issues, it seems like teams are targeting him in the run game. Wagner is a play maker for sure but I'm thinking as a rookie he is trying to force plays instead of letting them come to him. This is something I think gets worked out with experience but I think our run defense is missing Hawthorne, at least for this year.

CoachingCarroll has a done a fantastic job at building this team. Him and his staff have also shown they can coach good games and make great half time adjustments. But it just seems every time we lose, it's because the coaches are doing something that is obviously wrong. I don't like to blame coaches, I feel it's a cope out but when we are watching Wilson light it up and than we insist on running and forcing 3rd and longs, you gotta question what's going on. My current favorite is the 3rd and 8 on defense and we play a 10 yard cushion zone.

Marshawn LynchThis is my final one and may be considered blasphemy but I'm a tad concerned about Lynch. I'm wondering if he is a bit more average than we thought. The guy gets a million carries, that's why he has so many yards. More and more, I'm starting to notice a lack of version and acceleration from him. I love Lynch and think he is a top 5 back but something in the back of my head is a little worried. I am really hoping that the more we open up Wilson, the better Lynch will get.

I want to believe all the good parts of those things but every time it seems like the team has a chance to convince me they are true, they fall flat on their face.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Look at the transformation Frank Gore had when he went from a bad to a great O-line. It's all about the line, there isnt much lynch can do when he's getting hit 2 yards before the LOS

Uncle Si

Reaction score
and had we converted from the Phins 45 with a minute left and hit the game winning field goal we'd only be talking about Adderall. Why is it so difficult to see this team for what it is without over analyzing its demise?

themunn

Reaction score
You'll have to do a lot to convince me Wagner isn't completely owning that MLB job.
He's as good as Lofa was in his first year, but about 3x faster.

I think we're about two drafts away from being better than the 49ers are now - funnily, WR has gone from being a major need in this team to a relative strength in the past few weeks, Rice and Tate have solidified that number 1 and 2 position, and I think both would easily put up 100+ yards if we decided to air it out (like in last season's Falcons and Giants games).

OLB, nickel corner and RT (possibly RG too, though I'd like to see us run with Moffit over McQuistan) are still major needs though, and whilst this FO has done a good job picking up 3 starters a season, I'd still be surprised if they filled those needs next year

Ray74

Reaction score
I blame mostly the coaches ..... Until we let Wilson loose our run game will suffer and still we wont know what we have with Wilson..
I really like what he has done so far but that is pretty much beeing a game manager..... Until i see him throw 40 times in 2 or 3 games we´ll have a better clue
But again with the coaches....1st down run 2nd down run and 3rd down pass its getting boring and extremly predictable

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pstark3":2vhrpdg6 said:
Look at the transformation Frank Gore had when he went from a bad to a great O-line. It's all about the line, there isnt much lynch can do when he's getting hit 2 yards before the LOS

This is a truth everyone of love Coach Cable school needs to think about, b/c it's becoming more obvious they (our OLine) can't move the pile as well or as consistently as needed.

mikeak

Reaction score
Uncle Si":228x3fma said:
and had we converted from the Phins 45 with a minute left and hit the game winning field goal we'd only be talking about Adderall. Why is it so difficult to see this team for what it is without over analyzing its demise?

Do you expect this to be a team that has a need to convert a 3rd down in the last minute to take a lead in a game against Miami?

Regardless of the outcome of the Miami game it was a bad game....... and if we had kicked a 3 Miami would probably have driven for a touchdown in 40 secs the way things were going.

I think the Lynch issue that the OP brings up is the line more than the rb

OP
OP
amill87

amill87

Reaction score
mikeak":b0bgleq4 said:
I think the Lynch issue that the OP brings up is the line more than the rb

That's the thing. I wanna think oh it's just the line and the line isn't blowing people up but watch Turbin run in comparison to Lynch. He just has more burst. Lynch is showing a lack of vision on occasion.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
amill87":196hgp6c said:
That's the thing. I wanna think oh it's just the line and the line isn't blowing people up but watch Turbin run in comparison to Lynch. He just has more burst. Lynch is showing a lack of vision on occasion.

Maybe it's because his "eye's" arent in the game? :sarcasm_off: :sherlock:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
themunn":3mc25a31 said:
You'll have to do a lot to convince me Wagner isn't completely owning that MLB job.
He's as good as Lofa was in his first year, but about 3x faster

Wagner is having a good year, no doubt.......but he's still having problems with his gap control. On Sunday he rushed the same gap 2-3 times as a lineman, and it resulted in long rushes for Miami.

He's a rookie, and that's what happens with rookies, so I'm not worried that he won't clean the gap control issues up. But HE IS making mistakes.