is it possible our speed on our pass rush is hurting us?

redhawk253

Reaction score
heard the announcers comment that the grass was hurting our speed.. which i disagree with completely as our ends were getting up field fine.. but after thinking about the game a little more and seeing tannehill narrowly escape pressure too many times i came to the conclusion that our ends are getting up field too fast for the rest of the defense to account for.. jones has played alright but he's not the dozer thats going to be able to keep up with the ends.. so what this leaves is our ends start to come together on the qb.. he simply steps up into the pocket.. now where this hurts us is it happens so quick that jones cant collapse the pocket enough in time for his presence to be felt at all and it leaves a lane on either side of the tackles that can be used for the qb to either escape or throw through.. this is the reason that qb runs and short passes/slants have killed us and we've been so bad on 3rd down.. we either need to get a d tackle this offseason that can keep up with our ends or we need to find a replacement for clemmons as he's going to be expensive and i dont think we're going to be able to pay him with our secondary anyways.. but this guy needs to be built more like a dozer in that he's going to bullrush/seal that end and push the qb into irvin coming around the other end but at the very least direct him to one side of the field.

the simple solution this season would be to start sending more cb/lb blitzes targeting this gap that will definately be there behind the ends... but i think pete is too stubborn and wants to be able to say we only rush 4 soooo bad.

OP
OP
R

redhawk253

Reaction score
rereading my post it seems elementary like duhhhh.. thats what happens when the pocket isn't collapsed.. but i think our ends just get up field so fast its like were out there playing 2 vs 2 on the line half the time, like the ends and o tackles were just removed from the field, poof, and that just leaves a ton of open space for the qb..

themunn

Reaction score
Jake Long and Jonathan Martin aren't too bad at doing that to be fair

RufusPorter

Reaction score
Well the Dolphins have invested a metric ton of draft capital into their offensive line, it should be a strength of their team.

The thing is, when you watch other teams (like the lowly Eagles last night), they are using creative ways of getting pressure with other positions than just a defensive line. I don't feel like there was a lot of fake blitzing and delayed stuff on our end. Pressure seemed pretty vanilla to me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
redhawk253":1ydh80db said:
the simple solution this season would be to start sending more cb/lb blitzes targeting this gap that will definately be there behind the ends... but i think pete is too stubborn and wants to be able to say we only rush 4 soooo bad.

The Hawks do blitz, but yeah any coach would rather not if the front four can get pressure on their own. The problem with blitzing too often is it leaves you vulnerable, and any NFL QB is going to exploit that.