Lack of sacks & turnovers on the road...

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
.... it's KILLING us.

On the whole, I'm really disapppointed in the lack of turnovers this season - we only have 10 picks through 11 games. We have not scored on defense this season either.

It's exacerbated on the road, when we really need big plays to stem the tide of a game.

There are a lot of things wrong with this team on the road -- but it's the lack of pass rush and big plays from the defense that really show up.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I watched a Seahawks highlight video from last season the other day... I've got to say, the 2011 version of this defense was a lot more exciting than what we've seen this season.

It seems that this season we've been a lot more bend but don't break. Last season these guys were vicious. Kam was laying people out all over the place and dude's were scoring on pick sixes. Even Red scored a TD last season. Haven't seen that this season for whatever reason or another. I feel like turnovers aren't really consistent from year to year, for the most part. Could be that we've faced much better quarterbacks this season. Whatever it is, I'm in agreement with you FlyingGreg, we need the big plays to reappear if we want to have any shot at making the playoffs. This could all just be confirmation bias on my part of course...

The 'Hawks scored 2 defensive TD's in Chicago last season. Let's hope they can do it again this week or something similar.

kendog2639

Reaction score
We def are doing something different this yr on defense... I feel as the safeties arent even in most of the plays, i rem last yr when chancellor was blasting ppl as was thomas

they were both in on ints and pass defenses last yr... im no x's and o's guy but i wish someone would explain to me where they are and how there never around the pass to defend. granted i kno thomas could of had like 5858 picks this yr but where is chancellor... no big hits, poor angles, poor tackling

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Last year we had Hawthorne, this year Wagner. Wagner's a rookie and KJ is in his second year. Together they are getting burned in the passing game. They make too many mistakes due to inexperience. We'd have been better off shelling out the bucks to keep Hawthorne and letting Wagner learn slowly while Hawthorne helped cover for KJ's mistakes and was a mentor.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
DL pressure is a huge issue. Without the ability to collapse the pocket, we're not getting QBs to hurry and make mistakes. This then leads to time for blown coverages.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":kygrsydq said:
DL pressure is a huge issue. Without the ability to collapse the pocket, we're not getting QBs to hurry and make mistakes. This then leads to time for blown coverages.

This. It's all about QB pressure. If not sacks then at least hitting the QB enough to force mistakes. The Giants had a rash of injuries to their secondary and LB's last season and were still able to win the Super Bowl because when you can bring heat on almost every play, it doesn't matter who you've got back there covering.

Meanwhile, we've got arguably the best secondary in the league and still can't close out games on the road because we can't consistently harrass the QB. If the QB has all day to throw and a clean pocket to step up into, it doesn't matter how great your corners are because they're gonna get dusted. Receivers are going to get open.

I wish Gus Bradley would dial up some more unique blitzes. It seems we don't bring the heat enough and when we do every team in the league knows how to handle it with ease. We need some creative, outside of the box thinking with the possibility of our 2 starting corners being out looming.