At what point does Pete Carroll hit the 'hot seat'..?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I don't know if this coaching staff is the one to lead this team over that hump anymore. Could be Carroll, could be Bevell.. etc. But it's looking more and more like this team is staring a .500 season in the face - and given the talent level on both sides, that is very disappointing.

So when does Pete Carroll hit the hot seat? 2013? The last 5 weeks if the team bottoms out? Not at all?

Discuss.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• From the fans, he already is.

From Paul Allen, I think we could lose every game the rest of this season and he will be fine. He will be evaluated on next season, imo.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Hasselbeck wrote:I don't know if this coaching staff is the one to lead this team over that hump anymore. Could be Carroll, could be Bevell.. etc. But it's looking more and more like this team is staring a .500 season in the face - and given the talent level on both sides, that is very disappointing.

So when does Pete Carroll hit the hot seat? 2013? The last 5 weeks if the team bottoms out? Not at all?

Discuss.

Probably when we start getting blackouts. The season ticket waiting list is all but gone.

If we keep rolling out mediocre teams people are going to quit going. Pete then will, and should be fired.

God I hope he starts to win, I just don't want to start over again.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• JSeahawks wrote:From the fans, he already is.

From Paul Allen, I think we could lose every game the rest of this season and he will be fine. He will be evaluated on next season, imo.

Exactly why I love Paul Allen. A smart owner
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• Absolutely after next season. PC and JS came in w/ a 4 year plan. I think he is safe to the end of that for sure.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Pete is not Magic. He had bare cupboards when he got here. He has turned us into a team that is on the verge of contending, what more could you ask for? Every single game we have been in, we have a rookie QB who we haven't even begun to build to his strengths yet. I wish we could lose one game without you nancies calling for PC, Bevell's, or Wilson's job. STFU.

our foundation is there, our QB is there, our Oline is young and still learning to play together. Yeah, these loses hurt, but playing as young as we are with the veteran leadership being a 30 year old FullBack or a safety that is in his 3rd year, there are going to be games were we biff it hard do to lack of maturity as players. We are still green.

Calling for heads after each loss, or even calling this team mediocre means your are not paying attention, and certainly not using your God Given logic.
    Smoke
    NET Veteran

• Why, in a multimillion dollar company, do we not test our own guys before hand. Positive? Has an ankle injury from practice.

Get Lance Armstong on the payroll
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• He wasn't really on the hot seat from fans until now, but this was a big loss and it's easy to see why. Playoff picture at stake, we'd already used up the excuse of "we're just playing a good team on the upswing" for the Detroit loss, so this was the game where fans were like okay look if you drop it in Miami, you're not for real, as in, mediocre for yet another year.

It'll take him longer to lose Allen, but we need to start to win games like this next year. This year he probably is safe even if he loses out as JSea said.

I sure hope he has it in him such we do start winning these games.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• We are on year three of a rebuild project and currently #6 seed in the playoffs. Why is he on the hotseat again?

How many times has this team been blown out this year?
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Remind me... who brought in all this fabled talent that should be doing better?

How bad were the Seahawks in 2008 and 2009 before Carroll and co arrived on the scene?

Which regime found a starting quarterback with franchise potential in the third round and had the spuds to start him as a rookie?

Which team beat the Patriots with a dramatic fourth quarter rally, is unbeaten at home, has put pride and belief back into this team and created an identity that was completely absent under Mora?

Today's a disappointing day. But anyone even talking about Carroll potentially being on the hot seat needs to get a grip.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Smoke wrote:Pete is not Magic. He had bare cupboards when he got here. He has turned us into a team that is on the verge of contending, what more could you ask for? Every single game we have been in, we have a rookie QB who we haven't even begun to build to his strengths yet. I wish we could lose one game without you nancies calling for PC, Bevell's, or Wilson's job. STFU.

our foundation is there, our QB is there, our Oline is young and still learning to play together. Yeah, these loses hurt, but playing as young as we are with the veteran leadership being a 30 year old FullBack or a safety that is in his 3rd year, there are going to be games were we biff it hard do to lack of maturity as players. We are still green.

Calling for heads after each loss, or even calling this team mediocre means your are not paying attention, and certainly not using your God Given logic.

All true but at some point all those great things need to lead to wins. We are looking at yet another 500 season. How many more will he get?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Steve2222 wrote:We are on year three of a rebuild project and currently #6 seed in the playoffs. Why is he on the hotseat again?

Quote of the year
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• Steve2222 wrote:We are on year three of a rebuild project and currently #6 seed in the playoffs. Why is he on the hotseat again?

Becuase we can't win on the road, still, today was supposed to be different.

Playing close games doesn't matter, wins do.
    "Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan after Super Bowl XLVIII
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

• His seat should be warming up right now.

He has lost 4 games to teams under .500 this year. That is unacceptable with the team he has.

He needs to start producing winning seasons or he's out.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• NFSeahawks628 wrote:Playing close games doesn't matter, wins do.

You're right.

And we have six wins, which right now puts us in pole position for the post season via wildcard.

cesame wrote:He has lost 4 games to teams under .500 this year. That is unacceptable with the team he has.

You mean the team he created?
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:
    Smoke wrote:Pete is not Magic. He had bare cupboards when he got here. He has turned us into a team that is on the verge of contending, what more could you ask for? Every single game we have been in, we have a rookie QB who we haven't even begun to build to his strengths yet. I wish we could lose one game without you nancies calling for PC, Bevell's, or Wilson's job. STFU.

All true but at some point all those great things need to lead to wins. We are looking at yet another 500 season. How many more will he get?

The other quote of the year ^^^

God I am sick of mediocrity and obviously Dom is too. Demand better Seahawks fans.

Pete will be on the hot seat after next season if, as is nearly always the case with this franchise, they finish the usual 7-9, 8-8, 9-7.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:Remind me... who brought in all this fabled talent that should be doing better?

How bad were the Seahawks in 2008 and 2009 before Carroll and co arrived on the scene?

Which regime found a starting quarterback with franchise potential in the third round and had the spuds to start him as a rookie?

Which team beat the Patriots with a dramatic fourth quarter rally, is unbeaten at home, has put pride and belief back into this team and created an identity that was completely absent under Mora?

Today's a disappointing day. But anyone even talking about Carroll potentially being on the hot seat needs to get a grip.

I agree with your points, but I guess the question is, at what point do all the great personnel moves, great statement wins, and the team being "better" than they've been not outweigh compiling a legitimate winning season, which will mean finally improving their road woes, and a playoff berth? Next year? Fair or not, that time is coming.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Pete will be on the hot seat after next season if, as is nearly always the case with this franchise, they finish the usual 7-9, 8-8, 9-7.

What if 9-7 = the post season?

Will he be on the hot seat then?

Remind me... what record did New York finish with last year before winning the Super Bowl?
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Don't you think if there was a better coaching option at this point, that the Paul Allen would hire him. I don't understand how firing someone will fix the problem. Maybe you should suggest better replacement options?
    strohmin
    NET Starter

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:
    Smoke wrote:Pete is not Magic. He had bare cupboards when he got here. He has turned us into a team that is on the verge of contending, what more could you ask for? Every single game we have been in, we have a rookie QB who we haven't even begun to build to his strengths yet. I wish we could lose one game without you nancies calling for PC, Bevell's, or Wilson's job. STFU.

The other quote of the year ^^^

God I am sick of mediocrity and obviously Dom is too. Demand better Seahawks fans.

Pete will be on the hot seat after next season if, as is nearly always the case with this franchise, they finish the usual 7-9, 8-8, 9-7.

Oh and just to clear up any confusion... I am not calling for his head right now. I will be next year though if we are not a serious threat to be a top team.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    NFSeahawks628 wrote:Playing close games doesn't matter, wins do.

You're right.

And we have six wins, which right now puts us in pole position for the post season via wildcard.

cesame wrote:He has lost 4 games to teams under .500 this year. That is unacceptable with the team he has.

So John Schneider gets no credit now?
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• Only good thing about this loss was it was out of conference.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Pete will be on the hot seat after next season if, as is nearly always the case with this franchise, they finish the usual 7-9, 8-8, 9-7.

What if 9-7 = the post season?

Will he be on the hot seat then?

Remind me... what record did New York finish with last year before winning the Super Bowl?

It's rare and you know that Rob. I for one want better so the Hawks get home games in the playoffs. To answer your question though, no, I don't think Allen makes a move if they're 9-7, playoffs or not.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• The one and only concern I have with Carroll is that offensively he seems to play not to lose, rather then play to win. I wish he would show more confidence in the players that he brought in and coached up. Hopefully that will happen next year when he no longer has a rookie quarterback.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

NFSeahawks628 wrote:Playing close games doesn't matter, wins do.

You're right.

We would be out of the playoffs if they started today, if I understood the tie-breaking procedures correctly.

If you can't get up for a road game and win a few you won't be around long in the playoffs, it's simple really.
    "Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:The one and only concern I have with Carroll is that offensively he seems to play not to lose, rather then play to win. I wish he would show more confidence in the players that he brought in and coached up. Hopefully that will happen next year when he no longer has a rookie quarterback.

He no longer has a rookie QB J. Wilson's already past the rookie stage and if I can see it, Pete should be able to as well. Dude progresses through his reads like a 6 year vet and when was the last time he made a poor decision? He makes physical mistakes now and then (poor throws) but he hasn't made a mental mistake in the last 3 or 4 games that I can recall. I thought they should've thrown the hell out of the ball today to loosen up the Phins' defense. That goes along with what you said to be sure.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

JSeahawks wrote:The one and only concern I have with Carroll is that offensively he seems to play not to lose, rather then play to win. I wish he would show more confidence in the players that he brought in and coached up. Hopefully that will happen next year when he no longer has a rookie quarterback.

He no longer has a rookie QB J. Wilson's already past the rookie stage and if I can see it, Pete should be able to as well. Dude progresses through his reads like a 6 year vet and when was the last time he made a poor decision? He makes physical mistakes now and then (poor throws) but he hasn't made a mental mistake in the last 3 or 4 games that I can recall. I thought they should've thrown the hell out of the ball today to loosen up the Phins' defense. That goes along with what you said to be sure.

Actually I thought he made a crucial rookie mistake today. Should have thrown the ball into the dirt on that blown screen to Lynch instead of actually completing the pass. That cost us some critical yards. But overall, I agree that he doesnt play like a rookie.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

JSeahawks wrote:The one and only concern I have with Carroll is that offensively he seems to play not to lose, rather then play to win. I wish he would show more confidence in the players that he brought in and coached up. Hopefully that will happen next year when he no longer has a rookie quarterback.

The quicker they let RW throw the ball out the better, guy is special. Still too much safety pin diaper offense.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

• Smoke wrote:Pete is not Magic. He had bare cupboards when he got here. He has turned us into a team that is on the verge of contending, what more could you ask for? Every single game we have been in, we have a rookie QB who we haven't even begun to build to his strengths yet. I wish we could lose one game without you nancies calling for PC, Bevell's, or Wilson's job. STFU.

The bare cupboards thing is no longer valid, it's been 3 drafts and 3 free agencies since he got here. What more can we ask for? How about taking the next step. Only losers cherish losing by 3 points. A good loser is still a loser. It's a very small percentage of our group calling for heads to roll and neither am I, but I will say I am highly disappointed in Carroll's performance as well as that of the players. Hanging on to excuses that have little to no relevance to what is actually going I guess makes it easier to hide from it.

PC and the players do not deserve idol worship but some heat from the fans is due.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• JSeahawks wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:

Actually I thought he made a crucial rookie mistake today. Should have thrown the ball into the dirt on that blown screen to Lynch instead of actually completing the pass. That cost us some critical yards. But overall, I agree that he doesnt play like a rookie.

Yeah, I'll give you that one. He'll learn from trying to do too much when nothing's there though. Expect that's something we'll hardly ever see from him again considering how quickly he's progressed this year.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Idk how anyone can be overly satisfied with the job Pete has done this year.

4 losses against teams under .500

In 3 of those losses the team had the lead late but Carroll's defense surrendered game-winning drives

It has to change.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:I agree with your points, but I guess the question is, at what point do all the great personnel moves, great statement wins, and the team being "better" than they've been not outweigh compiling a legitimate winning season, which will mean finally improving their road woes, and a playoff berth? Next year? Fair or not, that time is coming.

Here are the teams who won ten or more games last season:

New England (13-3)
    Baltimore (12-4)
    Pittsburgh (12-4)
    Houston (10-6)
    Green Bay (15-1)
    Detroit (10-6)
    New Orleans (13-3)
    Atlanta (10-6)
    San Francisco (13-3)

Guess what? Super Bowl winners not included on that list.

I mean, how do you define a 'legitimate winning season'? Green Bay almost had a perfect season, and lost to a 9-7 team at home in the playoffs. Carroll's memo has to be to show gradual progression, building towards being a regular contender. To put a competitive team on the field. That's all you can ask for in the NFL, to be competitive. We might be 9-7 for the next three years. We might also make the post season for the next three years. What's a legitimate winning season?

Let's use some common sense here. This team has just identified a young, potential franchise quarterback. We have one of the youngest rosters in the league. The team is still growing and the current front office and staff have done a heck of a job. We're also competing in a newly competitive NFC West which just so happens to now include a red hot 49ers team. And yet we're still in position, as things stand, to make the post season for the second time in three years.

This team would have to regress big time next year... like 3-5 wins regression... for Carroll to be on the hot seat. If this team continues on the current path, the only people putting him on the hot seat will be people frequenting an internet message board who really should know better.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• Ask yourselves this Seahawks fans....

Are you seeing the improvement in this team? Is this young team growing and learning how to win? Are they building on what they have learned this season and in seasons past?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:It's rare and you know that Rob. I for one want better so the Hawks get home games in the playoffs. To answer your question though, no, I don't think Allen makes a move if they're 9-7, playoffs or not.

New York won the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record. Green Bay won it in 2011 as a wildcard with a 10-6 record. The Cardinals made the Super Bowl in 2009 with a 9-7 record.

If you're regularly winning 9-10 games a season, you have a decent shot at making the post season. And once you get there, anything can happen.

cesame wrote:Idk how anyone can be overly satisfied with the job Pete has done this year.

In 3 of those losses the team had the lead late but Carroll's defense surrendered game-winning drives

It has to change.

Yeah... forget the six wins - some of which have been damn impressive... let's concentrate on those four close losses.

I need to get out of this thread.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

hawksfansinceday1 wrote:It's rare and you know that Rob. I for one want better so the Hawks get home games in the playoffs. To answer your question though, no, I don't think Allen makes a move if they're 9-7, playoffs or not.

New York won the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record. Green Bay won it in 2011 as a wildcard with a 10-6 record. The Cardinals made the Super Bowl in 2009 with a 9-7 record.

If you're regularly winning 9-10 games a season, you have a decent shot at making the post season. And once you get there, anything can happen.

But... Seattle doesn't win on the road. Therefore they need home playoff games. Therefore they need a great regular season record. Therefore they need to win on the road. Therefore we're screwed.
    Last edited by jamsomatic on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    'The bevell is in the details.' -BFS
    jamsomatic
    NET Starter

• Tech Worlds wrote:Ask yourselves this Seahawks fans....

Are you seeing the improvement in this team? Is this young team growing and learning how to win? Are they building on what they have learned this season and in seasons past?

I think they are from last year. Looking at the beginning of this year to now the defense is playing worse and the offense (Russell Wilson) is playing better.

They are going through adversity. This sucks but I still think we'll be alright. Pete's not on the hotseat now for me. Next year he's definitely under evaluation. We have to fill some holes for sure. Defensive middle, another LB, a nickel. It's clearly a very serious issue at this point. Teams are exploiting it every week now when we are not at home with the noise.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

hawksfansinceday1 wrote:It's rare and you know that Rob. I for one want better so the Hawks get home games in the playoffs. To answer your question though, no, I don't think Allen makes a move if they're 9-7, playoffs or not.

cesame wrote:Idk how anyone can be overly satisfied with the job Pete has done this year.

It has to change.

Yeah... forget the six wins - some of which have been damn impressive... let's concentrate on those four close losses.

I need to get out of this thread.

You mean the 2 quality wins out of 6 that they have? With 1 of them being gifted to them?

The 6-5 record is beyond underwhelming given the schedule they've had.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• HEllooooooooo!! They've got a rookie QB. A 3rd round rookie QB. Did any of you expect 13-3? What the F is wrong with you people? Big picture for two minutes folks. My goodness.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:HEllooooooooo!! They've got a rookie QB. A 3rd round rookie QB. Did any of you expect 13-3? What the F is wrong with you people? Big picture for two minutes folks. My goodness.

Are you okay?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Tical21 wrote:HEllooooooooo!! They've got a rookie QB. A 3rd round rookie QB. Did any of you expect 13-3? What the F is wrong with you people? Big picture for two minutes folks. My goodness.

What does a rookie QB have to do with the defense blowing leads in the 4th?
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• I didn't think we'd be 13-3, nor do I want to count on going undefeated at home and squeaking out 1 road game a year. Feeling like we have to chock up road games as losses is unacceptable. That needs to be fixed.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• cesame wrote:The 6-5 record is beyond underwhelming given the schedule they've had.

Before today's games, Seattle's strength of schedule was .500.

To compare...

Tampa Bay - 0.380
    Minnesota - 0.465
    Indianapolis - 0.430
    Pittsburgh - 0.450
    Chicago - 0.490
    New York Giants - 0.455
    Baltimore Ravens - 0.430
    Atlanta - 0.380
    Houston - 0.470

What were you saying about the schedule this year?
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

cesame wrote:The 6-5 record is beyond underwhelming given the schedule they've had.

Before today's games, Seattle's strength of schedule was .500.

To compare...

Tampa Bay - 0.380
    Minnesota - 0.465
    Indianapolis - 0.430
    Pittsburgh - 0.450
    Chicago - 0.490
    New York Giants - 0.455
    Baltimore Ravens - 0.430
    Atlanta - 0.380
    Houston - 0.470

What were you saying about the schedule this year?

Nice try.

Seattle has played 11 games this year. The combined record of those 11 teams is 57-60. Seeing as how GB is getting blown out right now, it will probably be 57-61 after this week.

My original statement stands and it's back up by facts.

And you still can't defend 4 losses to teams under .500. 2 of those teams are 4-7, and the other is 4-6-1.

That's simply not getting the job done. Period.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• cesame wrote:Nice try.

Seattle has played 11 games this year. The combined record of those 11 teams is 57-60. Seeing as how GB is getting blown out right now, it will probably be 57-61 after this week.

And it'll probably still be a tougher schedule than most of the other teams with a winning record.

The Seahawks have not had an easy schedule this year. That's the only 'fact' you need.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

cesame wrote:Nice try.

And it'll probably still be a tougher schedule than most of the other teams with a winning record.

The Seahawks have not had an easy schedule this year. That's the only 'fact' you need.

Out of the 11 games the Seahawks have played this year, only 3 would currently make the playoffs.

Yes, I think it's been a rather nice schedule. A schedule Pete Carroll and the Seahawks haven't taken advantage of.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:Ask yourselves this Seahawks fans....

This team is progressing. This team is way better than last year, and the 2010 squad. Your not actually using your eyes and thoughts in coordination if you think they are not progressing.
    Smoke
    NET Veteran

• Smoke wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:Ask yourselves this Seahawks fans....

This team is progressing. This team is way better than last year, and the 2010 squad. Your not actually using your eyes and thoughts in coordination if you think they are not progressing.

Yea as painful as this game was, I agree progress is being made albeit slow progress.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

• I love me some PC but for some reason i can't get behind Bevel. He has called some good games but we play too conservative. i am so sick of the playing "not to lose" mentality. Even if Pete (being a defensive guy) requests that approach the offensive coordinator needs take charge and show why he has the job. Give the head coach some confidence in your plan. I personally don't believe Pete just wants a "YES man" at OC.
    redeye81
    NET Veteran

• v1rotv2 wrote:

The bare cupboards thing is no longer valid, it's been 3 drafts and 3 free agencies since he got here. What more can we ask for? How about taking the next step. Only losers cherish losing by 3 points. A good loser is still a loser. It's a very small percentage of our group calling for heads to roll and neither am I, but I will say I am highly disappointed in Carroll's performance as well as that of the players. Hanging on to excuses that have little to no relevance to what is actually going I guess makes it easier to hide from it.

PC and the players do not deserve idol worship but some heat from the fans is due.
    Smoke
    NET Veteran

• I personally loved watching Wilson today. He made great plays with virtually no offensive line.

This line needs better players. Same as the d-line. Then it occurs to me that this is essentially the teams core or foundation.

Lets keep building because our QB is going to be awesome. He make throws running most QBs dont make.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information