Irvin

seabowl

Reaction score
I understand Bruce is a rookie and as many have mentioned here he does not play every down but he needs to have more overall impact than he has. In 11 games he has I believe 10 total tackles and out of the 11 games 8 of those games he has 1 or fewer tackles. Yes I am aware he has 7 or so sacks but his impact is very limited. Tannehill had way too much time today and it was not because of Clemons (5 tackles 1 sack). Not sure what the answer is however he needs to become more of an all around player.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2dfw9own said:
You're really going to point out one rookie that plays a third of the snaps?

I have seen people making statements like you haven made here however how do you know he only plays 1/3rd of the snaps? Seems to me he is out there more than that. Also I will say Red Bryant has regressed overall because his impact is not nearly what it was.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Irvin is really the player we had to expect. He's an impact player. Unfortunately, players like that - be it offense or defense - have multiple games where they don't do anything. If we were hoping for a more consistent, every done type who maybe doesn't have as many sacks but overall has a greater impact, we should've drafted somebody else. We're getting what we paid for here. I think the biggest issue is the scheme. We're relying on a front four for pressure... and among that four Chris Clemons is the only pass rusher. For three years now our base defense has relied solely on one guy for pressure. We don't send linebackers or safety's apart from rare, unique situations. And that's not going to get it done.

Hawks46

Reaction score
He forced Tannehill up into the pocket several times. He's getting pressure, not always on every play, but there isn't a player in the league that gets QB pressure every down.

I also noticed Miami's OL holds a crap ton. Irvin was getting his off arm held onto when he got by his man, I also saw Jones, Irvin, and Clemons all literall tackled or pulled down from behind on the way to the QB and no calls.

Subzero717

Reaction score
seabowl":2m21cbv0 said:
CALIHAWK1":2m21cbv0 said:
You're really going to point out one rookie that plays a third of the snaps?

I have seen people making statements like you haven made here however how do you know he only plays 1/3rd of the snaps? Seems to me he is out there more than that. Also I will say Red Bryant has regressed overall because his impact is not nearly what it was.

Count his snaps and come back to me. The burden of proof is on you. Go to the shack and see my thread I started for people like you.

warden

Reaction score
Irvin will not get many tackles with the way he is used. Big Red plays the base defense. Irvin comes in and his assignment is to go after the QB. You don't get many tackles under those circumstances.

Let's see how he developes. It takes a few years before we can make a sound judgement.

strohmin

Reaction score
seabowl":1z1zn3i5 said:
I understand Bruce is a rookie and as many have mentioned here he does not play every down but he needs to have more overall impact than he has. In 11 games he has I believe 10 total tackles and out of the 11 games 8 of those games he has 1 or fewer tackles. Yes I am aware he has 7 or so sacks but his impact is very limited. Tannehill had way too much time today and it was not because of Clemons (5 tackles 1 sack). Not sure what the answer is however he needs to become more of an all around player.

You do understand how pressure works right? its a team effort. Bruce Irvin and Clemons forces him into the pocket and the DT have to push the pocket back. Unfortunately our DTs don't seem strong enough to do that.

Gifted1

Reaction score
Weren't you the same poster who criticized Irvin in the preseason and how our FO made a horrible decision by drafting him?

We're all entitled to our own opinions and I respect the fact that you're stating yours - but as an overall community, I think we're quite happy with the progress that Irvin has made thus far. Is he perfect? Of course not. Does he have room to grow? Absolutely.

Irvin is going to be fine.

Twisted

Reaction score
there must be a legitimate reason Irvin's assignments are what they are? I think as a young player he is filling the shoes at whatever his duties are, even more important teams are having to scheme around him, any player that gets that sort of attention is a compliment, especially a rookie and like any rookie he needs time to solidify, he'll either make or break..

I think the problem most people have is they set their expectations way to high for any given player or team, I expect them Hawks to lose every game so I'm never disappointed..

what really erked me is Marshawns whopping 46 yards, I know the Fins were all over it and keyed on him but still if your line can't open up enough to get a runner like Lynch at least 80 yards I'm sorry but you suck, seriously, he was knocked down to 3rd last week so this week morris is over 100 yards ahead pulls ahead into 3rd place with a 113 yard day raising him to 1095 with Lynch in 4th with 1051, not only that martin who is in 5th is just one yard behind Lynch..

Seattle's O needs to start making some holes or Lynch could get pushed out of the top ten by season end!!!

c'mon you guys you can't be tired, unless you got into the Turkey sammiches last night...

Throwdown

Reaction score
actually, homeboy...

We were getting pressure, but their oline was allowed to hold all damn game line, EVEN I WAS SEEING THE HOLDS AND I NEVER SEE THEM!!!

JKent82

Reaction score
Throwdown":2ao4c6jj said:
actually, homeboy...

We were getting pressure, but their oline was allowed to hold all damn game line, EVEN I WAS SEEING THE HOLDS AND I NEVER SEE THEM!!!

Yeah I was getting frustrated with that.

And Bruce almost stripped Tannehille on the touchdown the fullback. Missed by a few inches.

aku

Reaction score
seabowl":1kdywha6 said:
Irvin has played 247 defensive snaps. The Seahawk defender with the most snaps taken is Kam with 634, so Irvin has taken at most 39% of the them. I can't find an official total, but I doubt Kam has taken too much time off. Via FootballOutsiders

I don't think it's right to dismiss his 7 sacks. That's second on our team, 18th in the league, and first in his class. And more importantly, our team has 28 sacks. We've got five games to go and we're already 6 sacks ahead of last year, tied for 5th in the league. Our DTs obviously play a huge role in pressure but they can't do it alone. Having that second speed rusher on the outside helps keep the offensive line from keying in on one guy, and it's paying off. Clemons is on pace to double his sack total from last season.

Yeah, it'd be nice if he was even better. He gets lost sometimes. But I don't see how anyone could be anything other than happy with his rookie performance.

Throwdown

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":r7wvd8iy said:
I think Irvin will be fine imo. Sometimes it takes a little look at Aldon Smith.

Aldon Smith is just amazing, dude went off last year and this year he could be well on his way to 20+ this season

Reaction score
I dont know why but Irvin just reminds me of him for some reason. I think Irvin has the chance to be like him. I know Smith is a monster and he had a awsome year his rookie year. But Irvin is going to get going I have faith in him. I mean he has 7 sacks and he hardly plays like Smith did last year. Smith had what around 15 or 16 sacks his rookie year. Irvin is still in his rookie year let us see how it plays out. Im not worried about him sacks sometimes come in bunches. Will he get 16 sacks probably not but 10+ is a possibility.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
He reminds me of Fred Dean. He was 6'3" and 235. Considered undersized and only played on passing downs. Both have the same speed rush.

a6a3ahug.jpg